What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis/Marijuana and how it effects our sleep.

I smoke to sleep. I take non stop bong hits all evening until bedtime of whatever the strongest strain I have at the time. Can either be a heavy sativa or a heavy hybrid. I dont care for pure indicas.

I wish cannabis would stop dreams / night terrors. Some of my DRs think weed causes the dreams. I know without weed I have way worse night terrors that really kick in the adrenaline. My wife cant sleep with me thrashing. Smoking heavy before bed helps me until it wears off around 3:00am. Then its xanax time. I wish to get of xanax but weed just cant cut it at times for me.

I grew my own & made sure the trichomes are good & brown & I don't damage them at all - my yellow #1 strain will terminate you until the alarm goes off in the morning then it's time for coffee --- you will never have another nightmare or even a good dream -- only sleep

I have a daytime strain --- red#13 --- if you let the trichomes get brown - it will let you sleep as well except you will have really good dreams & no more nightmares --

it's the strains & trichomes

I can't grow now & the va has me on schizophrenic medication to help me sleep but, it seems to be bad for my heart - it really worries me --- I need to get to a grow friendly state

I don't really smoke the sleep meds all that often -- I usually eat a bowls worth of bud 1 hour b4 bedtime - so it doesn't mess up my lungs -- but if I need help getting to sleep 1 hit of the yellow #1 will destroy the planet

I can't sleep at all on recreational -- I am really disappointed in it --- I lived in Seattle for over a year -- it's all early harvest & about the money -- I am also disappointed in the medical situation here in Arizona --- if you've ever had to deal with a bad drill instructor - or a bad drug dealer you know what I'm talking about -- I cannot even get a medical card because they are too busy BS ing

I am seriously disappointed in so called legalization & medical states --- if the state isn't grow friendly - I don't want to live there
then there's the situation with apartments & landlords -

it's a growers nightmare -- will there ever be peace & freedom ?
Arizona sucks
@ least in washington there was recreational & I'm thankful for that because I love weed more than life - but it isn't my medical that I grow - I can promise you that - it actually doesn't do anything but get me high & mess up my lungs

to be honest with you _ I wouldn't want their medical card -- it's communism to me or whatever is worse than that -- they are stealing your lunch money - dominating the market & trying to micro manage & have dominion over your personal freedom

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Most that smoke daily do not remember their dreams, they are dreaming, but they do not remember them. When you stop smoking dreams are remembered in vivid color.

Cannabis is bi-phasic meaning first it stimulates and gets you high then you crash and can easily sleep, it just takes a few minutes or so to feel the effects, and shortly after go to sleep if that is your goal.

-SamS

Most that smoke daily do not remember their dreams, they are dreaming, but they do not remember them. When you stop smoking dreams are remembered in vivid color.

Cannabis is bi-phasic meaning first it stimulates and gets you high then you crash and can easily sleep, it just takes a few minutes or so to feel the effects, and shortly after go to sleep if that is your goal.

-SamS

some strains encourage dreams
I have the worlds worst nightmares & cannabis makes that go away
even with the strains that encourage dreams - I have never had a bad dream

not all strains are the same
my red #13 - you can read, comprehend ,remember, etc.
& have really great dreams & remember them

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You personally may find this to be true.
I have talked to hundreds of smokers about this and can confirm that heavy smokers do not remember their dreams.
Different varieties with different profiles can encourage dreaming, not the terpenes as much as CBD. Varieties that are mostly CBD do not seem to block remembering your dreams like THC varieties do.
Few if any heavy daily smokers do remember their dreams, ask friends and see, they are still dreaming they just do not remember them.
-SamS

some strains encourage dreams
I have the worlds worst nightmares & cannabis makes that go away
even with the strains that encourage dreams - I have never had a bad dream

not all strains are the same
my red #13 - you can read, comprehend ,remember, etc.
& have really great dreams & remember them

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I can hear ya snoring from here Sam....lol, Many thanks for the input.

THC rich varieties are great for helping people with the 'night terrors' or PTSD sleep uninterruptedly. Many are scared to sleep because of what might pop-up in their dreams to frighten them and so suffer from constant insomnia. All they need to do is toke before bedtime.

Yes THC rich cannabis is a very useful sleep aid. I think that most all of us are aware of that.

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Last edited:

Lacocina

Thank You for the response Sam....

I wish I could sleep like a baby.. i at least get there every once and a while and I'm greatfull for that
(Jealous)

Brother Nature

I've had terrible insomnia since I was a child and have always found cannabis alleviates this better than anything else I've tried, regardless of the strain. I've also found if I smoke heavily the night before I tend to be able to sleep in better where as if I haven't been smoking much I tend to wake up early and stay awake. I very rarely remember dreams, as I am a heavy daily smoker (well I try at least), but if I've had a rough sleep and woken up a coupe times in the night I do tend to have vague recollections of the dreams I've had after nodding back off, but I don't think I've ever been able to vividly recall any dream I've had.

With legalization taking hold worldwide it'll be interesting to see official studies done on this, but for the time being I swear by cannabis as a sleep aid, among everything else it helps me with.

H

HaHaHashish

I find that exercise (and ganja) really helps with sleep. If you have trouble sleeping at night, then a good work out in the afternoon or evening each day and you will sleep way better. A tired, relaxed body will drop off to sleep easier than one that's been just sitting there inactive watching a screen all day and night.

I've been a daily smoker for decades and I rarely remember my dreams and on rare occasions when I have no smoke, the first night is no problem, but I have blood curdling horror nightmares for following 4 or 5 nights in a row lessening each day and after about a week of no THC, I sleep ok and begin to have a lot less horror in my dreams.

Over the years, some other smokers I've talked to about this say they also have nightmares when they stop smoking, most don't. Mine seem to be ten times harsher. It's so bad that I'm scared to have nothing in the stash box! (now how's that for a incentive to be a better grower!)

H

HaHaHashish

Here's a tip I read about recently about how to fall to sleep easily and it works for me. Lay down in bed on your back and take long, slow deep inhales and exhales with a pause between each inhale and exhale (basically, it's yoga breathing). I don't know how or why this works, but I fall to sleep really fast after doing this. I guess the long slow breathing releases pent up tension and makes it easier to fall off to sleep.

G

ganjygav

Interesting,
I dread not having smoke because without it I'm sat up awake until 3 or 4am. This wouldn't be a problem but I'm up around 6am naturally everyday. This leads to me being drained and it don't stop until I smoke again.

I have tried to quit smoking and it's very true that because of needing sleep I have failed and lit a joint to join the land of nod once again.

It's the one thing that stops me from giving up. I started smoking Cannabis to help with some mental health issues around 10 years ago and it worked great but has left me dependant on it to sleep.

I class myself as a heavy smoker. Me and the Mrs can Finnish 3g in the evening. I have to smoke my self stupid to be able to lay my head and sleep, otherwise I lay awake for hours thinking about not being able to sleep.

It's pretty horrible

H

HaHaHashish

I class myself as a heavy smoker. Me and the Mrs can Finnish 3g in the evening. I have to smoke my self stupid to be able to lay my head and sleep, otherwise I lay awake for hours thinking about not being able to sleep.

It's pretty horrible

Well, do something about it then. Change varieties, cut down your smoking by half and you'll get higher, change how things are now cos they definitely aint working for you.

For example you could do 10 push ups, 20 star jumps, 15 squats, get up and shadow box for 60 seconds etc before each puff, Turn off the screen and go for a walk at a good pace for 20 or 30 minutes after dinner each night. Get active, do something!

H

HaHaHashish

I just did 10 push ups, 20 star jumps, 15 squats and shadow boxed for 60 seconds and I now have to catch my breath before I roll a jay lol

G

ganjygav

It's pretty horrible

Well, do something about it then. Change varieties, cut down your smoking by half and you'll get higher, change how things are now cos they definitely aint working for you.

For example you could do 10 push ups, 20 star jumps, 15 squats, get up and shadow box for 60 seconds etc before each puff, Turn off the screen and go for a walk at a good pace for 20 or 30 minutes after dinner each night. Get active, do something!

Yeah that's great but it don't switch off the mind. I'm a commercial floor fitter I get plenty of exercise and often come home completely shattered and aching. I ain't doing no fricking star jumps lol.

It's all in my head , I know this.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Up until yesterday I didn't have any 'erb/hash for a couple of weeks and found that although I got enough sleep, sleep would not come unless I was absolutely exhausted.

Yesterday a kind friend gave me a little bud which I toked on, and immediately I wanted to sleep, I had to sleep, even though it was in the middle of the day...lol I must have slept for 18 hours in all, it was like being knocked-out.

My tolerance was at zero, and that spliff felled me totally.

The variety was Grand-daddy-Purps x Chemdog.

I’ve smoked weed since I was a 13 year old kid, occasionally at first and ramping up as I started growing my own for economic and quality’s sake.
I’m into fitness as well and usually sleep real good. 10-5 and often an hour nap after lunch. I’m over 50.

oldchuck

Veteran

It's pretty horrible

Drink.

H

HaHaHashish

Drink is great for knocking yourself out, but damn, the older I get the harsher the hangovers are, so much so I only drink enough each day to catch a light buzz, about 3 cans of 5% beer. Sex is the best sleep inducer I know of, I always sleep well after doing the wild thang, the only problem is that I don't do it often enough.

ganjgav - if the body is relaxed and you can't get to sleep then you need to relax and quieten your mind....deep. slow breathing is one way. Either that or change strains to a zonk out indica or use the same bud you are smoking and turn it into edibles and eat some as soon as you get home from work and don't smoke.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It's possible to get over tired to the point where it keeps you from sleeping. Buds are great for taking the edge off and drifting away. A night in the sleep lab confirmed moderate sleep apnea. After getting over the initial awkwardness, CPAP turned out to be a game changer.