What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vintage Mexican, Seed germination and Micro propagation techniques.

Mystic - what temps are you running these at?

I have no clue here - but i'm wondering if you're running "hot" and that maybe promoting mold growth.

There's got to be a way to get better than 8%. These old genetics have such a potential and I hate to see things not going well.

Mystic Funk

Mystic - what temps are you running these at?

I have no clue here - but i'm wondering if you're running "hot" and that maybe promoting mold growth.

There's got to be a way to get better than 8%. These old genetics have such a potential and I hate to see things not going well.

I set my heat mat at 75 to 80F, like I always have with other seeds.
maybe I could try running them a little lower, like 65 to 70F??

I have some other methods to try but i'm getting the original seedling that I popped ready for flower, their about 2 feet tall now.
i'll get some pics up soon.

peace!
-mystic:tiphat:

Last edited:

Mystic Funk

Sorry it's been awhile since I made a post.
i put all the sativa looking plants into flower to open pollenate each other.
Also the two whorled leaf plants that i found, the 3-way and the 4-way. the 3-way in a female and the 4-way in a male!!!
i took cuttings of them and i'll cross them together by themselves later.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Betterhaff

Veteran
I set my heat mat at 75 to 80F, like I always have with other seeds.
maybe I could try running them a little lower, like 65 to 70F??
Something you may want to try when you get back around to your germination experiments is top heat for seeds planted in medium. I would still use the bottom heat but supplement that with top heat from per se an incandescent light. I’ve found success doing this with some stubborn seeds (not as old as yours) and long germinating chili peppers. I’ve also used an on/off cycle with the top heat. It may simulate the natural conditions that seeds experience outdoors.

Will be interesting to see the outcome of the whorled cross.

Mystic Funk

thanks betterhaff!
i'll have to give that a try with the top heat in soil. also I think putting them on a heat cycling method would help wick in moisture.

i'm hoping to stabilize the whorled leaf trait by crossing those two together and possibly using it for breeding later.

peace!
-mystic

Betterhaff

Veteran
Here’s another interesting result. I found some seeds from a cross I made 4-5 years ago and decided to do a germ test, they weren’t stored well. Started 5 my usual way, soak and towels in my warm spot, and 4 cracked and showed tails in short time. I planted all 5 in soil and once the 4 germed and put them in a sunny window sill (no room elsewhere). After about a month the 5th one germed. Not saying this proves that the light/top heat cycle helped, it may have just been a slow starter, but it finally did come up. And at least it didn’t rot.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Hey betterhaff.
what type of soil were you using and did you water them with anything special?
Hi Mystic,

I use a regional pro planting mix I buy at the nursery (Baccto). Nothing special, it’s fairly cheap but good. Since they’re sprouts usually nothing but tap water that I let sit for a few days.

I think it’s the combination of the heat/cool from natural sunlight and maybe the watering/drying out as you mentioned. I just had a few stubborn chilis pop after sitting on the sill for over a month, did nothing but mist the surface once in a while. Never let them really dry out but would go days without misting.

http://baccto.com/grower/planting-mix.htm

rich67

what a great thread i'm just soaking some old mex seeds 20 yrs and some 10 yr old seeds that have germ probs hope i can pop a few

Americangrower

Veteran
Great thread Mystic
I would love to see GA3 at 100ppm at 6 to 12 hr then rinsed and paper toweled. as Betterhaff had mention .. VanderOG did a video where 100ppm worked the best, he did 12hr soak but never showed the seedling growing.. Thanks for the informative post, wish I had a worm bin. My have to start 1

Mystic Funk

the vintage Mexican have been flowering for awhile now and there are some real nice ones in here and a lot of different phenos.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace!
-mystic

Dr.Snow

cool

cool

fascinating project! I appreciate your sharing your tests for all of us with oldies seeds. keep up the good work !

Latest posts

Latest posts