What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

C

Cracky

Beefmaster, Early Girls, Jetstar and Romas this season. Of the commercial varieties my favorite is the Floramerica, I just can't find them as hot house plants every year. I love to eat lots of Romas as they don't make me break out like the others. They are actually best for cooking sauces and salsa.

grimcreeper

I grew the red brandywines last year and the flavor was good. The size of the tomatoes was top notch and there was no major disease or pest problems.

I'm growing the Cherokee purples along with the Brandywines this year to give a comparison. I started mine from seed. Anyone else start from seed?

Me2

Can you take a clone from a tomato plant? ~Vince

Just take the side shoots when they are 2"-3" long and put em in a glass of water.. they`ll root inside a week. I usually grow cherry toms from seed early in the year and then clone the hell out of the best ones.

barnyard

good point about tomato pH Wait...What?

"Researchers at Mississippi State University have found that most tomato fruits have a pH of between 4.3 and 4.6. The yellow or pink “low acid” tomatoes are not any lower in acid, but they are higher in sugar."

This year's garden includes...

"Gold Nugget" ~ a bright golden cherry, cold tolerant, delicious and one of the fastest tomatoes around.

"Super Sweet 100" ~ productive (up to 1,000 fruits on one plant!) and some say the best tasting red cherry tomato.

Have also had good luck with the early girl line and super sioux. The brandywines are delicious but require a longer growing season than my area provides.

happy cultivating!

Last edited:

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Plain old, garden variety

Plain old, garden variety

Cherry tomatoes grow very well in 5 gallon rubbermaid tubs.

tomballs.jpg

ripe.jpg

They are more like "plum tomatoes" bigger than your average hen's egg.

Tom1.jpg

tomroots.jpg

I highly recommend DWC for the tropics.

Aloha, :wave:
Weezard

Smooth thanks for the cloning issue much appreciated damn your a fountain of great info! Super awesome I'm going to clone my 3 week vegging grape tomato plant right now in Rockwool. THANKS AGAIN sorry I'm just so happy you rock. ~Vince

slappyjack

I have 4 going

From seed: San Marzano paste & The old standby Roma (for sauce and sun dried)
From clone: Ace & Italian Gold

Just pruned out the lower growth yesterday. They're already 4 times bigger than all the topsy-turvey crap growing in my neighborhood. I've made bets with a few of my neighbors that upside down tomato pots are a gimmicky scam. We'll see in a few months.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur

I've made bets with a few of my neighbors that upside down tomato pots are a gimmicky scam. We'll see in a few months.

You do realize there are DIY info on how to build your own upside down tomato pot online with just a 2 litter i think.... dunno i find the instructions, but never read thru them, just saw the pic of the homemade one working.

Ive also read the reviews on that commercial one available... the census was it can work, but has some problems.

Now bout my tomato's.... We've got 4 growing here too, 1 early girl thats already showing its first little tomato growing, then 3 other ones that are a few weeks younger. We have 2 cherry tomatos and one "patio" tomato, (patio is the name)

I think the patio is the only one that gives all the fruit at once, i cant remember if thats determinent(sp), or interde(sp).

Anyone used organic liquid MJ nutes for tomatos? In specifically Earth juice? Its soo cheap, ive got a gallon for my grow that i will NEVER EVER be able to use up before it expires. So its going on all the other household plants this year lol.

I think im gonna give the Early girl some EJ bloom and catalyst soon.

edit: sweet, thanks for the cloning info whoever mentioned it...

DonkeyPunch

I set out 6 purple russian and 6 jet star a little while back. All of them have blooms and little tomatoes going.

Never have grown the purple russians before, should be interesting to see how they turn out.

DonkeyPunch

Oh and BTW, I find that the water that normaly goes down the drain in a rez change out, does wonders on the vegitable garden :)

webguy

I've got a few dozen going- 2 types of san marzano, also Opalka tomatoes which I hear are better than the san marzano's(we shall see). then of course some roma's and beefsteak and a couple that were given to me that I dont know what they are. 8 of my best marzano's are in buckets and the roots are dangling out of the drain holes, so i was thinking of doing a makeshift bucket in bucket hempy. I was also thinking of hitting them with some bud blood in late july, the stuff says 0-39-25 npk!

Wait...What?

Veteran
Water those roma-types VERY consistently! maters of the roma type are very prone to blossom end rot. the BER is caused not from a lack of calcium in the growing medium or nutrient, but a lack of mobility of it within the plant.

W

Weedman Herb

Roma, Roma/Cherry (hybrid), Mountain Pride (heirloom) Homestead (heirloom), Grape, and Cherry ... The Roma/Cherry are fuggin Huge and putting out mad blooms/fruit ... Indeed ... the romas like consistent waterings ...

killabrown420

I got some roma grapes, better boy, and park's whopper going atm. The roma grape is in an 18 gallon rubbermaid full of recycled pro-mix and is absolutely blowing up. Been training and pruning her for over a month now. I know what you guys mean about the constant watering. If I miss a watering in the morning she'll be droopy and pissy the rest of the day. Even if it rained the night before.

Anyone else love the smell of the tomato plant when you rub your fingers on the stem? :joint:

W

Weedman Herb

Indeed I do killa ... and I just got clued in on "suckering" the maters ... Apparently you pinch off the sucker branch and the plant will cease mad leaf and branch growth and start fruiting sooner ??? They said I was a little late to start on that ... but ... I will keep it locked in Here (as Herb taps his noggin) for future reference ...

gobbler3447

Tomato Diseases

Tomato Diseases

Started the season a little later this year, and now find " tomato wilt disease" are taking a toll on my plants. A mixture of varities(spck) some heirlooms, Its tough to see a plant 36'' tall just wilt down to nothing. In my experience I just pull them up and burn them, now I find it may be a soil bacteria caused disease, Barnyard, you, appear to be a down home guy because anyone who quotes MSU, must know something that I didnt learn at USM. Any thoughts on this problem? Any experience with this? Did you control the problem? At USM we primairly were concerned with:joint: Just a down home guy here, LOL.

Last edited:
C

CMoon

Roma, Roma/Cherry (hybrid), Mountain Pride (heirloom) Homestead (heirloom), Grape, and Cherry ... The Roma/Cherry are fuggin Huge and putting out mad blooms/fruit ... Indeed ... the romas like consistent waterings ...

that roma/cherry cross sounds nice weedman! any pics?

im growing both, be nice to see the marrige:joint:

W

Weedman Herb

Camera is Broken but the replacement should be happening soon ... we have fruit on Most of them ... I haven't been out today but 1 of 2 the Mountain Prides will have 3 or 4 red ones soon ... I gotta check the Tag on the roma hybrid as I'm unsure if it was Roma/Cherry or Roma/Grape. I have some from seed and some were bought as plants ...

grimcreeper

Everyone's tomatoes doing well? Mine are looking bomb. I've found some random ones growing in the compost pile and have planted them as well... I like the surprise, just like getting a mix pack of beans.

Latest posts

Latest posts