What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't tell if harvest time is near

doldol

Hello,

I've growing an outdoor plant and most of what I've read say that if majority of pistols are turning amber then it's time. That is the case for my plant but the thing is it's still in week 8-9 and the buds are still small.

I've attached some pictures can anyone help identify maturity?

P.S I know there are seeds, my female plant got pollinated somehow without the presence of a male plant on location :/

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hello,

I've growing an outdoor plant and most of what I've read say that if majority of pistols are turning amber then it's time. That is the case for my plant but the thing is it's still in week 8-9 and the buds are still small.

I've attached some pictures can anyone help identify maturity?

P.S I know there are seeds, my female plant got pollinated somehow without the presence of a male plant on location :/

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78425&pictureid=1893171View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78425&pictureid=1893170View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78425&pictureid=1893169View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78425&pictureid=1893168View Image
Not the pistils, it's what percentage of trichomes that turn amber. Trichs go from clear, to cloudy, to amber. Pistils turn before that

doldol

Not the pistils, it's what percentage of trichomes that turn amber. Trichs go from clear, to cloudy, to amber. Pistils turn before that

a lot do mention pistils but also say that the color of trichomes is best as you say. would you say the trichomes in the attached are clear or cloudy?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Sorry good buddy, can't tell from here. Buy yourself a 60X jewelers loop or a 100x digital microscope. I have a microscope because I couldn't see shit with a loop (bi-focals).

Limeygreen

Veteran
Looks like she needs more time, swollen caylx are good to look for as well. If you see them swollen chances are they are getting close but the trichomes are the best to look at.

PDX Dopesmoker

Open one of the calyxes and see if the seed has a dark, patterned hull yet. If it does then open a few more to make sure that they're all ready. Are the pale parts on the flower cluster in the first pic male flower petals?

DrDee

Looks like she needs more time, swollen caylx are good to look for as well. If you see them swollen chances are they are getting close but the trichomes are the best to look at.

I agree with Limey here. It looks to be sativa dominant and could take longer then anticipated. If there no risk of theft or bad weather...then give it a few more weeks. Hit up Walmart for a jewelers loupe...

Nice plant by the way. Wish I could grow outdoors.
JD

As Lester said my dude its riddled with boy germs... Theyre front and center in photo 1. But mostly the plant looks like it could easily go another few weeks with photo 4 showing plenty of fresh pistil formation top to bottom. Pistils are browning off afetr fertilisation as opposed to due to ripeness.

If its the only plant youve got and not wrecking other ladies in the area id let it go further and try to be vigilant pluckin any male flowers you see. Youl still probably be able to salvage some nice if seedy bud for your efforts.

But thats a serious hermaphrodite and it looks from quite early in the flowering stage- theres boy parts all over that lady boy and some calyx look well developed so its been happening for a while. I wouldn't be using her seed in the future unless you did something crazy to stress her out and id be real careful if youve got other seeds from the same batch she/he came from.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is the same advice I give everyone.

Use a loupe and check the trichome amber percentage. Count 20 trichomes on the inside of a flower, not trichs exposed to direct light. 1 amber in 20 is 5%, 2 is 10% and 3 is 15%. I chop all new strains at 5,10 and 15%, because I want to find which point is the best ripeness for the specific strain.

yardgrazer

Dumb question, but are you snipping a bud off the plant and then examining it? Kinda tricky getting at the inside of a bud otherwise?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You can look at the trichomes of any fully shaded area of a flower. Yes, if you peel open a flower you'll see the same amber as a fully shaded flower. The sugar leaves are definitely going to be more amber than the flowers.

Latest posts

Latest posts