What's new

Decarb under vacuum?

Co2lover

Hey wanted to see if anyone here decarbs under vac?

We usually do this after we winterize the material. We first remove most of the ethanol through the roto and then throw it into the vac.

28mmhg @135C

We sometimes still see THCA on the lab results. Also can this also be high enough to cook off THC thus giving us lower test results?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Decarboxylation doesn't seem to be affected by vacuum imo, the evidence for this theory is the lab test results of so many samples of BHO that were I assume were vacuum purged and still show huge proportions of THC-A.

TNEx

This will definitely make your product's test results higher in CBN, as it is a by product of decarboxylation

whereisbrianV.

I have found it surprisingly difficult to turn THC into CBN. Even the most abused material ends up with just a few percent CBN.

I have found it surprisingly difficult to turn THC into CBN. Even the most abused material ends up with just a few percent CBN.

You are correct. I feel like alot of the fear of turning product to CBN comes from the same side that thinks cured bud is decarbed. Test results will tell you.

PDX Dopesmoker

I decarb by eye using a variation of the Skunkpharm technique. I've gone to full decarboxylization (no more bubbles) and I've stopped it just past peak bubbling for "maximum head effect" and I can absolutely feel the difference. Lightly decarbed "maximum head effect" high THC oil is speedy as fuck and the "fully decarbed" stuff makes you feel like the weight of the flesh on your bones just increased 300% and you fall asleep shortly thereafter. If you're not picking it up, try eating bigger doses to magnify the difference. That will really help you wrap your head around the effects.

I decarb by eye using a variation of the Skunkpharm technique. I've gone to full decarboxylization (no more bubbles) and I've stopped it just past peak bubbling for "maximum head effect" and I can absolutely feel the difference. Lightly decarbed "maximum head effect" high THC oil is speedy as fuck and the "fully decarbed" stuff makes you feel like the weight of the flesh on your bones just increased 300% and you fall asleep shortly thereafter. If you're not picking it up, try eating bigger doses to magnify the difference. That will really help you wrap your head around the effects.

I'll decarb to about 70% in an oil bath, pull while there are still bubbles but at a significantly reduced rate. Further testing confirms there is still a small percentage of THC-a ...... but I'm fine with that as the rest gets decarb'd upon vaporizing.

Yes it darkens the oil .... yes it becomes molasses .......... yes you'll lose some Terps .... no, I don't care. For my application, none of that matters.

TNEx

I'll decarb to about 70% in an oil bath, pull while there are still bubbles but at a significantly reduced rate. Further testing confirms there is still a small percentage of THC-a ...... but I'm fine with that as the rest gets decarb'd upon vaporizing.

Yes it darkens the oil .... yes it becomes molasses .......... yes you'll lose some Terps .... no, I don't care. For my application, none of that matters.
So your saying if you do it "right " decarbing won't make your end product have a higher CBN content ?

But that's not to say that decarbinv until you get some cbn is not worth it. I like it when I get some decarbed oil with 2-4% cbn for the night. Use that in the morning and it's a day ruiner

Very good point. I've never had any oil I've decarb'd reach 2% actually. 1%-1.8% is the norm but as I mentioned .... I always pull it once the bubbles begin to decline from their frenzied state. For me ....... as long as I get "most" of the THC-a converted ...... I'm satisfied.

Very good point. I've never had any oil I've decarb'd reach 2% actually. 1%-1.8% is the norm but as I mentioned .... I always pull it once the bubbles begin to decline from their frenzied state. For me ....... as long as I get "most" of the THC-a converted ...... I'm satisfied.

I let it go overnight on 1500-2000 gram batches at 120c. Works out to complete decarb plus a bit extra. Works for the company but of I was creating my own medicine I would do different.

0zymurgy

Tincture distilled to 25% of starting volume
240F digi hot plate
8 hours= .81 cbn
16 hours= 1.83 cbn
62% THC, 0% THC-A using ISO/IEC 17025 accredited lab

Unable to achieve these results with vacuum alone

Latest posts

Latest posts