What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about soil

I was making soil previously without checking ph so I know a lot of my pots are high I’m going to purchase a digital meter this weekend it’s like an absolute must now

brickweeder

I was making soil previously without checking ph so I know a lot of my pots are high I’m going to purchase a digital meter this weekend it’s like an absolute must now

I once did the same thing...re-amended some used soil (peat based) without checking the starting pH, and added the standard 2 tbsp of dolomite per gal of soil as part of the additions. When I measured the pH a couple weeks later, it was 7.7...yikes! I then measured the used soil and it came in a 5.6. So I cut the re-amended soil with an equal amount of used soil, and that brought the pH to 6.5. So the lesson is 1) measure your used soil pH before amending, and 2) start low on the dolomite and work your way up if you have to.

I once did the same thing...re-amended some used soil (peat based) without checking the starting pH, and added the standard 2 tbsp of dolomite per gal of soil as part of the additions. When I measured the pH a couple weeks later, it was 7.7...yikes! I then measured the used soil and it came in a 5.6. So I cut the re-amended soil with an equal amount of used soil, and that brought the pH to 6.5. So the lesson is 1) measure your used soil pH before amending, and 2) start low on the dolomite and work your way up if you have to.

Yes. Well the good news is, I checked the ph of the pots I flushed and it’s the 6.5 range now

Makes me wonder should I use my same mix and just water with oh down and then add lime....

I’m so against usin peat now lol. But if I do I guess I will buy some ffof or similiar and mix that in