What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is everyone really using TRIACONTANOL incorrectly?

TheGoldenFib666

Thank you all!

Thank you all!

Such a valuable thread, had so much fun reading into use of alfalfa, did not realize it would bring me down such a deep rabbit hole! I found a product of interest, disclaimer I do not have any conflicts of interest regarding this product. Interested to hear what you all have to say about it! It's called Vitazyme, it utilizes triacontanol along with other growth stimulants and their main office is in the fine state of New York!

http://www.plantdesigns.com/vitazyme/

Siever

Veteran
guys..... I MADE IT !!! i finally found a way ;)

500ml Water & 100mg Triacontanol, no solvents. nothing...just water. And its stable. no flocculation etc
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

View Image

At what intervals do you give it to the plants? Always @ 25 ppm?
I allready have some triacontanol for several months, but i can't find the right dose

kind regards,

Siever

truck

Try sunflower lecithin. Or try a nano-emulsifier like Trifecta Boost. Nano-Emulsification is what will solve your problem most likely. For mixing that is.

for extraction, isopropyl alcohol seems the easiest solution...no pun intended. but i'm sure you could find a fermenting method that would break everything down into a more bio-available form of the hormone plus all the goodies that go along with it vs just a straight extraction. Even if you use extractions you tend to need to blend them in with other nutrients or plant foods to maximize their potential. Its like giving a human steroids but not working out or eating the right macros to build size.

Last edited:

truck

it doesn't start small and work your way up. just know other variables will limit the hormones capabilities and what you are actually trying to achieve with each dosage in proportion to your macros and environmental stresses. Best place to start is extract the same dose you'd give a plant from the aflalfa and use that as the base line to start from. I guess you could just use math to find out what the % of Tricantosol is in a dose of alfalfa or look for products that contain tricantosol and work from that as a base line. So say if most companies suggest 1 tbs alfalfa just extract that amount and use it or do the math to find out how much tricantosol is in that dose. Like i said that would be a base line then you could try using more or less based on other variables.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
...So say if most companies suggest 1 tbs alfalfa just extract that amount and use it or do the math to find out how much tricantosol is in that dose...
That would be nearly as good as just putting some triacosanol into a jar, close that jar firmly, and place it on the table next to the plant :) .
Seriously, you can't just do the maths mostly because IIRC the first isolation of tria was done with something like a kilogram of dried alfalfa, just enough to get a few milligrams which sufficed to determine its structure.
Alfalfa is a comparatively good source for triacontanol but it still is a fairly poor one overall. Additionally, it also contains shorter chained fatty alcohols such as octaconasol at nearly equal quantity and octacosanol has been shown (by the same group which published the first papers on triacosanol for plant growth promotion) to completely inhibit the action of triacosanol.

truck

ya it was merely a hail merry suggestion, math is awesome when it can be applied. I'm not a chemist so i just read a lot and try to follow what is going on at the for front of the grow world and bio-ag industry. Sometimes one concept can be applied from one thing to another, but i know its not always that easy to find a compatible means for extraction and delivery of different substances to be utilized by plants. Its not easy to harness and direct the power of nature and the universe. Its pretty complex stuff. So my hat is off to all you out there in the endless pursuit of finding and isolating compounds to help grow my plants, i enjoy reading about it and applying advanced concepts to my grow as i learn more.

Bongstar420

Solubilize TRIA in ISO. Add 3x quantity of surfactant to TRIA solution. Dry the ISO off the way you do extract. You now have surfactant with colloidal TRIA suspension which will store indefinitely if kept away from oxygen, heat, and water. Your plant will be exposed to less solvent (there will only be about 100ppm in that tiny amount of residue left) than what naturally occurs in the soils. The polysorbate will be below threshold levels for effecting plant psyiology but sufficient for complete dispersal of TRIA in H2O and you will use significantly less than trying to dissolve the TRIA in the poly.

Chems need not be "dissolved" to work. They need only be dispersed finely enough. Recall the lesson from using 20nm nanospheres of Ag for feminization? Thats not "soluble"

Stop buying branded products formulated for idiots sold by rich people profiting off other people's work and intellectual contributions. Understand what you are doing and formulate from basics yourself. Wealth is only as valuable as the skills of the people who operate it. If it is owned by someone who lacks the skills to operate and can't out compete 95% of all other people given equal access to resources, how is that owner deserving of their position?

Oh, and if you didn't know, any fat that is rendered chemically soluble is a soap. This means you mix your TRIA with equal amounts of KOH to get the product of K+TRIA. Dissolve the TRIA in alcohol with an equal molar quantity of KOH. Reflux for a few hours. Bam. TRIA that dissolves in water from a dry state. Not sure why this is worth the effort though. Its longer and more difficult to prepare vs colloidal suspension. I've not had KOH react with alcohol in the presence of fats though I have had reactions with acids and polar solvents. Baffling how this is a mystery to all the people out there with more wealth than me- not really.

Try extracting your used green tea. HELLO!
Tea by-products

L.Jagan Mohan Rao, K. Ramalakshmi, in Recent Trends in Soft Beverages, 2011
9.5Triacontanol

Triacontanol, the long chain fatty alcohol having the molecular formula C30H62O recognized as the substance responsible for the growth promoting ability of chopped Alfa-alfalfa [136]. The Alfa-Alfa chips and their extract (in quantities as small as 10–50mg dissolved in 280–380 litre ofwater applied over 1 hectare) can enhance the yields of some crops such as tomato, cucumber, lettuce, maize, corn and rice. The alcohol –A, which had earlier been isolated from green tea [137], was found to be the same as Triacontanol [138]. The Triacontanol content of green tea, black tea and tea waste from instant tea manufacturing process was reported. Instant tea wastes obtained from green leaves contain a maximum amount followed by black tea and green tea. This explains the effect of high temperatures involved in the firing stage of black and green tea manufacturing process [139]. Scientists at the CFTRI, Mysore, India developed the technology for the extraction of Triacontanol from tea wastes at a cost substantially lower than the international price. Successful field trials conducted in South India by UPASI Tea Research Institute showed that the harvestable yield increased by 25–30% with reduction in the dormant shoots of the tea plant [140]. This compound had been successfully field tested on other crops as well; it will not only help to increase the agricultural productivity but will also improve the economics of the caffeine extraction and instant tea processing factories. (had to post this; the pseudoknowitalls are annoying)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts