What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started

Hermit43

Now thats what i'm talking about.
Great info for rookies like me.
Thanks a bunch Kodiak I printed it out and will use it as a guide line for future grows.
Very gracious of you to share all that experience. Not to mention great pics.
KUDOS ...........
H43

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Good to hear that you like it, I basically compiled the information that I would have liked to know when I started to grow.

I didn't go too deep into any subject as there are great post here on the forum on everything from nutrients to light schedules, so surf around.

It's good to keep in mind that often less is more, I used to over water and over feed my plants a lot in the beginning, just because I worried too much about how they were doing.

Now I just make a good soil mix and watch the plants grow. If they have a nice green colour and the leafs are happily pointing upwards, they are doing fine.

Once they go into flowering I start messing around with the dutch organic fertilizers to maximize bud production and to make sure that the plant are getting enough of everything. I can really recommend BioBizz or other similar organic fertz if you want buds that taste and smell great. Naturally this is mostly genetic in the first place.

Sometimes you will run into plants that smell so great they are almost addictive (you just keep going back to smell them every 5 minutes) and sometimes you get plants that smell, shall we say, not so good. It all depends. Personally I favor the ones that smell like fruit or berries. Sometimes you even run into flowers with an unique smell, something unlike anything you ever smelled before. Usually these are complex aromas with several levels of scents with different onsets.

Growing cannabis is a real adventure.

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
I updated the guide.

Now it also includes a short introduction and a chapter on germinating seeds. I also expanded on the information on breeding, added some photos and more.

andy12

kodiak, do you have a grow journal?
i'm curious about your grow and lighting setup.
do you use liquid fertilizer?
'

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Yes, I always make detailed notes on every grow. After the grow is finished I compile the information into specific grow sheets for each strain. Here is an example:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I use liquid fertilizers. The complete BioBizz line and the supplemental BioNova line. Also
liquid silicon root stimulator, seaweed extract and liquid humus. There is a detailed description of everything relating to my grow in the document above.

I have three different grow rooms; one for mother plants, one for flowering and one for breeding projects.

I used to have a cooltube but upgraded to a Sputnik Coolstar aircooled hood, which runs a lot cooler and does a better job than the cooltube. The hood is connected to a duct fan with a carbon scrubber, so there is no smell at all from the grow. I use a 600w Phillips LuxGear ballast that can handle both MH and HPS bulbs.

The picture in the guide pretty much explains how to rig a setup similar to mine. It took some fine tuning but now I have it dialed in perfectly.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You are right Che, naturally the pistils are the pollen receptors but the resin on them aid in catching the pollen.

Pistils don't produce resin. At least I've never seen any trichomes on them. They're definitely hairy for catching pollen though.

Basically you can consider any piece of pollen stuck to resin to be dead and out of the game. It's not going to move (resin is too sticky) so it won't be able to come in contact with the pistil.

I don't know who first stated that resin production was supposedly part of "Trying to get pollinated" but it's a bit of myth that should die. :)

Absolutely fantastic post Kodiak!

:yeahthats

I wanna see some graphs now.
Surely you've got a huge stash of analyses somewhere on your PC...?

I also particularly enjoyed your explanation of why you have to go to F2 to ensure a recessive trait is promulgated throughout the gene pool - I'd never bothered getting my head round that one before until it came up in your post. Thankyou!

PM me if you'd like detailed feedback and some constructive critcism on your post. Or not! :)

Last edited:

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Thanks everyone! I will update it now and then with more information when something springs to mind.

I will add some more information today on the cannabinoids, like breakdown temps etc. for those who intend to cook with cannabis as well as some brief information on collecting kief and making hash.

Pompey_Monkey, it is actually in the F3 generation that you have 100% autoflowering individuals. In the F2 generation you will have some autoflowering and some normal plants, fifty-fifty. You will have to watch the plants as the grow in order to know which are true autoflowering and which are not. Then you take one of the autoflowering F2's and cross it once more to a true autoflowering lowryder in order for all of the F3's to possess this recessive trait. The idea here is to increase the potency of the lowryder hybrid by crossing it to something more potent. Say if you used AK-47 for example, the F3's will only have 12,5% of the genes from that AK-47. The only way to increase this percentage is to repeat the whole process over again. Sure, you could cross the autoflowering F2's to each other or the parent but since that's inbreeding you will not get hybrid vigour. Inbreeding in this manner is called "cubing" which is used to create IBL or truebreeding strains.

You might be right Hydro-Soil but if you take a look at the closeup of the pistils in my guide you will see that there infact are trichomes on them, or at least something that looks like them. I always thought that the trichome-sticks without a head were there to catch the pollen which then travels down into the "pod" and fertilizes the ovum, where the seed later on develops. They could however also be some sort of hairs or microfilaments and not trichomes at all. I'm not sure.

I might be wrong so I will remove the sentence from my guide as it is really not that important.

ZEROorDIE

great guide. the part about beneficial fungi keeps reinforcing what ive heard. what micorrhizal enhancers would you reccomend to a less experienced but KISS grower.

i use AN micro/grow/bloom and my plants love it but ive been heavily considering adding a fungi booster to my feeding regimen. my soil is just plain potting soil(no additives) mixed with perlite so its basically just something to hold the plant up and hold water /nute mix for it.

i have no desire to go to more complicated soil mixes as i dont really have space or time to mix and deal with it

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
The soil that you buy in the store usually contain some of the benefical microbes from the composting process but you can also buy certified soil that should contain most if not all.

One of these microbes is the streptomyces actinobacteria that grows in compost. It kills mold and other harmful organisms and promotes health in plants by reinforcing other microbal processes in the roots, including the mycorrhiza fungi. Mycorrhizal fungi on the other hand is a mutualistic root fungus that exchanges nutrients with the plant.

You can buy dormant spores of these organisms from advanced grow and gardening shops. Usually you have to order them separately becuase it's not that common that people ask for them. The easiest way to get ahold of it is to order online. Do a search on it and try something like "plant supplement + mycorrhiza + order".

Here is one place that you can order it if you live in the U.S. They will also ship overseas but you can most likely find some closer to where you live. The product is called MycoMaxx and should cover your needs. The spores will have to be stored in the fridge (not the freezer, that will probably kill them) in order to remain alive and dormant until you add them to the soil. You can either plant them at the same time as you pot the plants or just add the spores to some water and pour it in. I recommend that you plant them in the middle of the pot or all over so that they will quickly find the plant roots. These microbes will also feed on the nutrients in the soil, so make sure that you supply enough for them and the plants as well.

If you know where to get fresh compost, even better. Fresh compost will most likely contain all of these microbes as it is usually allowed to mature in an outside environments but sometimes also in large containers.

Outdoor soil also contain mycorrhiza and other microbes, most probably it's already growing in your garden if you have one. The risc of bringing in pests is big however so I recommend you order the stuff instead.

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
Noob question sorry

Noob question sorry

Kodiak, awesome read and THANK YOU for taking the time to impart knowledge.

I'm am in the planning stages of my first indoor soil grow with a 400w HPS (although I have enjoyed some of nature's finest since the early 80's :wink:)

I have been reading all I can and "think" I have a novice's tenative grasp on the basics.

My question would be, what would one recommend to a first-timer in terms of strain choice ? There seems to be mixed responses on this question.

I have adequate room to take care of at least two(2) plants , 3x3x8+, and if I had my choice, I would lean towards a SAT/IND mix of at least a 60/40 split in terms of what I'm looking to get out of it.

With that being said, any suggestions ? I'm open to one and all and will defer to those with much more experience than I.

Thank you much in advance,

iGro

Kodiak

Mad Scientist
Veteran
No worries iGro4Me, all questions are welcomed.

Which strain to pick really all depends on what you are looking for. Something quick, potent, easy to grow, colourful, sweet smelling and so on. It really boils down to what you like. Although a pure sativa might be somewhat of a challange for someone getting started indoors, I would never say that it cannot be done since sativas are really nice and potent plants and a great way to learn how to grow indoors, although it's the more difficult road. Once you know how to grow pure sativas you can grow anything. Indicas might however give you less problems, so maybe you should look into pure indicas or a good 50/50 hybrid as these are more easily controlled. The closer you get to a pure sativa the more trouble you are looking at, they stretch a lot and getting tight internodes and thick buds is a challange. Since you have grown outdoors before you probably know what to expect.

You could grow some of Sensi's Hindu Kush or perhaps the Master Kush from Dutch passion as these are both nice and potent pure afghani Indicas. A good close to 50/50 mix could be the White Russian (AK-47 x White Widow) or Chronic from Serious Seeds. Try the White Rhino from Nirvana or Greenhouse Seeds or the original Medicine Man from Mr.Nice, they are all nice mostly indica hybrids that are generally really potent. You probably can't go wrong with the Black Widow either for that matter, although that one is a bit on the sativa side beinng a 60/40 mix. If you want less expensive seeds you can always order some of the Nirvana strains. Most of them are actually Skunk #1 hybrids although this is not stated in the description. I have grown a lot of them and every now and then Nirvana strains throw out something really good but expect a lot of variance even within a particular strain. Stay away from the Top44. Look to the Flying Dutchmen and Sensi Seeds for more inexpensive but good indica/sativa hybrids.

Some of the other classic indicas would be Dj Short's Blueberry, S.O.L Sweeth Tooth, Mikado from Federation Seeds as well as Sensi's Black Domina, Northern Lights and Hash Plant. I have not grown these out but they are all waiting in the freezer. People also speak warmly of Dr.Atomics NL and Legends Seeds Ultimate Indica.

Your safest bet would be to stick to one of the pure indicas at first, like Hindu Kush, Master Kush, Black Domina, Northern Lights, Maple Leaf Indica, Hash Plant or the widely overlooked Durga Mata (Super Shiva).

On another note. I cannot add more text to the guide as the forum starts cutting it in half if I do, so it is now concluded. Considering how long the text is and how many pictures I included, it's still pretty cool that a post can be that long.

If there is something that I forgot to mention in the guide, feel free to ask me and I will help you the best I can.

iGro4Me

The Hopeful Protagonist
Veteran
No worries iGro4Me, all questions are welcomed.

Which strain to pick really all depends on what you are looking for. Something quick, potent, easy to grow, colourful, sweet smelling and so on. It really boils down to what you like. Although a pure sativa might be somewhat of a challange for someone getting started indoors, I would never say that it cannot be done since sativas are really nice and potent plants and a great way to learn how to grow indoors, although it's the more difficult road. Once you know how to grow pure sativas you can grow anything. Indicas might however give you less problems, so maybe you should look into pure indicas or a good 50/50 hybrid as these are more easily controlled. The closer you get to a pure sativa the more trouble you are looking at, they stretch a lot and getting tight internodes and thick buds is a challange. Since you have grown outdoors before you probably know what to expect.

You could grow some of Sensi's Hindu Kush or perhaps the Master Kush from Dutch passion as these are both nice and potent pure afghani Indicas. A good close to 50/50 mix could be the White Russian (AK-47 x White Widow) or Chronic from Serious Seeds. Try the White Rhino from Nirvana or Greenhouse Seeds or the original Medicine Man from Mr.Nice, they are all nice mostly indica hybrids that are generally really potent. You probably can't go wrong with the Black Widow either for that matter, although that one is a bit on the sativa side beinng a 60/40 mix. If you want less expensive seeds you can always order some of the Nirvana strains. Most of them are actually Skunk #1 hybrids although this is not stated in the description. I have grown a lot of them and every now and then Nirvana strains throw out something really good but expect a lot of variance even within a particular strain. Stay away from the Top44. Look to the Flying Dutchmen and Sensi Seeds for more inexpensive but good indica/sativa hybrids.

Some of the other classic indicas would be Dj Short's Blueberry, S.O.L Sweeth Tooth, Mikado from Federation Seeds as well as Sensi's Black Domina, Northern Lights and Hash Plant. I have not grown these out but they are all waiting in the freezer. People also speak warmly of Dr.Atomics NL and Legends Seeds Ultimate Indica.

Your safest bet would be to stick to one of the pure indicas at first, like Hindu Kush, Master Kush, Black Domina, Northern Lights, Maple Leaf Indica, Hash Plant or the widely overlooked Durga Mata (Super Shiva).

On another note. I cannot add more text to the guide as the forum starts cutting it in half if I do, so it is now concluded. Considering how long the text is and how many pictures I included, it's still pretty cool that a post can be that long.

If there is something that I forgot to mention in the guide, feel free to ask me and I will help you the best I can.

Thank you much, I'll be looking at the menu for a lunch special next week.

Can't say thanks enough----good vibes your way---->Kodiak :joint:

Peace,

iGro