What's new

power struggle

CaCTuS JoE

My power bill has doubled, from 200 to 400 dollars per month. I need to do something about this asap. The company wanted to know what caused such a jump I said I just constructed a walkin freezer... Would they alert me to leo? This has got me very worried and I want to cut power costs by as much as I can. I am using the following
7 400W HPS
2 400W MH
2 250W HPS
Many many floros. I would say at least 30 bulbs 40W each...

7hps are 12/12 along with some floro and others are 18/6.

Any tips for what to do will be greatly apreachiated. I'm looking to remove some lights and as soon as I do I will have a total wattage. Also, would 400W in floros use the same amount of power as 400W of HID lighting? If so all the floros are gone.

G

I feel your pain cactus joe. Sounds like you have about 4500 watts running. I wouldn't freak out just because they called you though. They used to call me all the time, it's like a credit card company who thinks your card is stolen. they want to make sure you know you're using that much power.

I was running 3 1000w lights plus another 1500W in AC and fans last summer and some of my neighbors were still using use more power than me! We are a consumer society, and lots of stuff we buy uses power. My bill for a few months peaked at over $700.

The power company employees I spoke with said they don't know what people are using power for, don't really care all that much as long as you're not stealing it. Heck, the wharehouses down the street from me they said use 100 times times the power I use. could u imagine a $50000 power bill?? We're residential peanuts compared to the money they make off businesses. Power companies are in business to make money, the more power you use the more they make. Not good business practice to go off telling the cops everytime someone increases power usage, nobody would ever buy an AC or spa. It's the coppers who always approach them! I hope that helps alleviate some of your anxiety.

As far as 400W halide and flouros having different power usages, they are going to be super close. a watt is a watt, and although sometimes they pull different amounts than what they say, they are roughly pretty accurate. in my opinion sometmies the flouros can stay cooler, and not having to cool an HID saves power a little. could be wrong about all that, but its my understanding at least :p

far as any tips man.. I would suggest paying your bill on time, and try not to have the meter spinning out of control when they come and read it. You can also use non-growing electronics less. (waching machines, dishwasher, AC) The general rule is 1k per bedroom is safe. So hopefully u are living in at least a 4 bedroom home. im sure lots of other people have tips on how to conserve power better than me, im still running a $540 bill :rolleyes:

sorry you got stuck with my wake n bake ramble. hope it at least helps

:wave:

EDIT: power bills are secondary evidence. If all you're security is in order, you'll be fine. It's just one of those things that gets documented that the cops can always dig up. dont give them a reason to look into your poewr usage and youll be golden!

CaCTuS JoE

It was either you that just calmed my nerves, or that fat logger i just smoked :p Glad to hear that my usage isnt as much as I thought it was. Your bill was for 1 month of $540? As far as they know I only have 2 people living in my house so I hope that isnt another factor. Maybe to you it was just ramble, but it was info i really needed :)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Your signifigant other and that darn electric kiln of theirs

Your signifigant other and that darn electric kiln of theirs

Electric kilns sure use a heck of alot of wattage.

To create a believable illusion, buy an old used one and put it someplace in plain sight where the meter reader can see it.That way its only obvious what your up to, you little artistic craft nut. hehe :)
Maybe put it right next to the hot tub...Just don't tell the meter reader that you heat it with gas :D

Electric kiln wattage use chart link

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts