Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > hush grows out some homemade mystery seeds

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
hush grows out some homemade mystery seeds Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2018, 07:57 PM #1
hush
Señor Member

hush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud of
hush grows out some homemade mystery seeds

Hey y'all. I was holding off on starting up a journal for this garden because I didn't think I would want to flower them out so soon, but I'm a moody sonuvabitch and change my mind a lot. Here's the back story...

I recently came across a tupperware container of unlabeled seeds that I basically remembered nothing about. I instantly had a flashback to the moment when I put the seeds in the container, and vaguely remembered something about these seeds being of a presumed lesser-quality than something else of similar or identical genetics that I had already made seeds from. But since the seeds existed, I kept them anyway. I didn't bother putting them in cold storage with dessicant, but I figured I'd keep them around.

That's literally all I could remember. I couldn't remember which plants they came from, although I had my suspicions. I initially narrowed it down to either a Northern Skunk F2 (or selfie), or a BC Kush x Northern Lights F2. Anyway, I figured I'd go ahead and see if they pop, so I threw some on some damp paper towels, put them in a tupperware container, and put them in a warm place. Lo and behold, all of them popped, and I put them in starter plugs under some LEDs.

All of them grew vigorously right from the start, and I could instantly see some phenotype differences among them all, which heavily suggested that these were in fact K x NL of some sort... but having grown out a bunch of other F2 seeds that I made with a selected mother and father, these were NOT appearing the same way. In the planned F2 grow-out, I noticed that there was quite a bit of variation among phenotypes. In this grow, they were practically all homogenous! Out of 15 plants, 4 of them were a very familiar pheno that I recall from the original K x NL F1s, but the remaining 11 were so identical that they were practically clones of each other.

Long story short, I am so impressed with how homogenous they are that I'm going to go ahead and flower them out right now. I removed the two [barely] weakest looking plants to bring the plant count down to 9, and have dedicated the LED tent to them. Today is day 1 of 12/12.

hush is online now Quote

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM #2
Mr. Greengenes
Re-incarnated Senior Member

Mr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to allMr. Greengenes is a name known to all
The amount of variation resulting from the combination of any two given cannabis plants is hard to predict without progeny testing. In general horticulture, making an F1 hybrid of two unrelated lines is a way to stabilize traits and create heterosis, or hybrid vigor. Going to the F2 is a way to see increased variation. In other words, it does the opposite of the F1.

Most commercial spinach or tomatoes are F1 hybrid of two unrelated inbred strains. The keyword is unrelated. In cannabis, it's hard to know how many generations have passed since the two plants had a common ancestor, unless one is a known landrace sativa.

I'm not saying the 'all modern cannabis strains are inbred', I'm just saying that even if they have a common ancestor four generations back, the resulting cross will have more phenotypical variation and less hererosis and 'stability'. And maybe it's just my opinion, but I think the likely hood of any two connoisseur quality cannabis plants NOT having a few common ancestors in their (5-7 generations) pedigree is pretty low these days.

TL;DR They're probably F1 seeds? F1's are much more stable for traits than the F2's you ran before. Other possibility is, could they be selfed?

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:25 PM #3
starke

starke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to all
I love a good mystery...count me in.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

Current Grows: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....343153&page=38 Page 38 forward

Real Gorilla Seeds Sour Orange Diesel Grow
starke is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 AM #4
tleaf jr.
Came up off 75w

tleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud oftleaf jr. has much to be proud of

Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM #5
hush
Señor Member

hush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud ofhush has much to be proud of
Just planted them up in coco.

hush is online now Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 PM #6
FunkBomb
Power Armor rules

FunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to allFunkBomb is a name known to all
They're looking very healthy, I'll be watching this grow show.

-Funk

Bertrand Russell

Last edited by FunkBomb; 10-10-2018 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: spelling
FunkBomb is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 12:55 AM #7
ReikoX
Knight of the BlackSvn

ReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud ofReikoX has much to be proud of
This should be a good show!
ReikoX is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 02:45 PM #8
Robbie vapez

Robbie vapez will become famous soon enough
Good stuff Hush, interested in how they turn out, mate
Robbie vapez is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 02:54 PM #9
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant futureozzieAI has a brilliant future
...a couple of your pots are crooked...

carry on...

"Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy."
Paracelsus
ozzieAI is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:48 PM #10
hush
Señor Member

Quick pic from yesterday (day 7 of 12/12):

hush is online now Quote

6 members found this post helpful.