What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who has legit durban poison?

Bud_Man10

Veteran
sweet bro! nice to see some durban pix sporting thin-leaf sativa traits :) k+

Yes it is! [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grew some about 15 yrs ago. I can't remember the source, they were very thin leafed sativa, (100+ days). Great weed!!!! The recent versions of DP I've seen appear to have far more indica influence in them.

Peace
BM
[/FONT]

browntrout

Veteran
My friend has been growing and breeding DP's durban for over a decade and has made many crosses with it. It is a plant that very unique in the world of cannabis. They grow like an indica in veg with massive wide leaves and dark green coloration. They would be very stinky if it wasn't for the very fragrant fresh astringent smell. The smell itself is of it's own, you wont find it in any other strain that does not have durban in it. That being said Durban dominates every strain it hits, even in most strains with one quarter or less durban genes, the smell and traits still shine through.
Once flowering commences every side branch races upwards so that it is the same height as the terminal bud, it is very stretchy and it's buds cluster very uniquely, thin bladed leaves arrive at the onset of flowering. The high is racey and just as unique as the plant itself, I sometimes find it's hybrids give me bad vibes and headaches. But none the less this a plant every breeder should have access too.

Indoors the durban and it's hybrids can become very skunky and are nutrient pigs, flushing should start very early.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Maybe they are. I should clarify... The Durban that we have did not come from a Dutch seed bank, or any other seed bank for that matter. It came from African farmers. I associate Durban Poison with Dutch seed banks, and think of landrace Durban weed as a just plain Durban. Even if all the Dutch releases were true IBL lines, there was some degree of selection that went on, and the majority of Durban Poison that I've seen is pretty uniform in appearance and smell, at least most of the Durban Poison that goes around California. Whereas growing the landrace Durban that we have, the pheno that was selected for in the Durban Poison appears, but there are other phenos, such as the banana pheno, that exist in the gene pool as well. I hope that clarifies.

That banana pheno seems pretty cool man. Personally I enjoy Durban in F1 crosses. Brings potency without the paranoia I've found. But who knows, perhaps with a bit of selection this trait could be bred out? What are your thoughts on that bamboozle. I always see these reports of roller coaster effects after smoking Durban n other african lines. I'd like to experience this without having a panic attack LOL.

OldSSSCGuy

Sorry to intrude, thought to offer a little side Durban history lesson...

I really think Durban got its first real popularity hits in the mid 1980's after High Times ran an article about it being the trippiest bud available. SSSC and Seed Bank started selling Durban strains in the mid 1980's. The SSSC shipped very little of this strain, no idea how Seed Bank did with it; the Seed Bank strain was known to be unstable at the time.

FWIW, the main Durban strains sold in the mid to late 80's by The Seed Bank and SSSC were different from each other. The one's sold by Nevil at Seed Bank were from Sacred Seeds and were a sativa-indica hybrid generated in California which threw hermies, the strain sold by SSSC was stable Pinetown Durban sativa which was cultivated in Holland through their co-op. Neither were true landraces.

In 1986 I grew the SSSC DP strain - or rather tried to grow, gave up and settled with Malawi myself - and still have about 50 of those original SSSC beans. Snow at SnowHigh Seeds is trying to regenerate from that original stock this 2013 season! Compared to the Afghani derivatives I was running in the 80's the DP was way too sativa for my small indoor rooms at the time. I regret not sticking with it.

SSSC offered it first in their first 1985 catalog and each of the 3 next catalogs. First assigned stock number #7 (changed to stock #M3 in catalog #2, April 86) and described as (mis-spellings intact):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
DURBAN
Pinetown Durban Satvia. Known as Durban Poisson. A great high. One of the earliest maturing original sativa's. Very suiteable for making hybrid crosses. In Holland we pick the buds in the last week of September. $35

Then in 1986 in the second of their three catalogs, Nevil's Seed Bank offered a Sacred Seeds bred Durban called "South African D.P. 34" and its description was (mis-spellings intact):

SOUTH AFRICAN D.P. 34
A pure sativa with a sweet licorice taste and an up high. Similar in may respects to Thai. Inbred for 5 generations in California. This variety is known for its outstanding crosses with indica's, increasing potency and yield. The D.P. 34xA1 hybrid is an indica sativa hubrid of international fame.

As is often the case with S. African, the occasional hermaphrodite will be found in this strain.
- Height 7 to 12 feet
- Yield 500 gr. to 2 lbs.
- Harvest in California Sept. 1.
- Price $50 for 10

I really think that Nevil's DP 34 got the biggest acceptance, the Sacred Seeds origin and the Seed Bank's big media footprint probably saw to that. However it was known to be unstable whereas the SSSC variety was stable and known for consistency - never heard one mention of a hermi in the SSSC strain; but inter-breeder communications were pretty damn limited back then so its more a subjective impression from comments in High Times and Sinsemilla Tips magazines.

There is no question in my mind that those 2 genetics are still in many of the South African hybrids bred in Europe and the USA since that time.

Last edited:

vStagger Leev

Cannaseur
Veteran
My Durban Poison..

My Durban Poison..

I've been growing a cut of the DP here in the Pac NW for 5 or so years now, i'll probably never let her go. She produces huge nuggets that smell like banana, anise, licorice, and spice. She will show her true colors if she's taken to 14 weeks, but I never have the time for that and take her to 11, and is still amazing smoke that people ask for time and time again.

Also I was recently in Jamaica and scored a KILLER bag of some DP from a very nice rasta man who was passionate about growing medicine. It was by far the best ganja I smoked while in Jamaica. :joint: Simply delicious. Anyway here's a photo of the Jamaican DP I got and the cut I know as Durban Poison. Much love DP lovers! SL

^^^ Jamaican DP

^^^ MY Durban Poison cut

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
afropips used to have durban poison; not sure if they are still active after one of the founders passing... found a facebook page though... worth a try.

really would like to try their tribal visions :yoinks:

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Ha ha ha Stagger if you showed the local tribesmen here those huge buds I think they would run screaming from you.... They don't really know about nutrients so the plants never get anywhere near their genetic potential!

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've got a durban line i'm working on at the mo(old african seeds stock),just growing out the first incross from open pollination,i got 1 fem out of 20 odd plants so she got gang raped by all the other males and i'll hopefully have em ready for release next year sometime all being well.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
I've got a durban line i'm working on at the mo(old african seeds stock),just growing out the first incross from open pollination,i got 1 fem out of 20 odd plants so she got gang raped by all the other males and i'll hopefully have em ready for release next year sometime all being well.

Thanks, I will be keeping my eye open for those Mat, thanks for keeping pure durban alive...love when people PRESERVE genetics instead of watering them down..BRAVO

peace
Chefboy

OldSSSCGuy

You really think so Calcio? I ran Nirvana's PPP and felt it was more indica than sativa in leaf and in bud structure. I only ran about 5 of them though...

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
I have smoked PPP, and yes it has sativa qualities but i found that it was a very short "high" and very light tasting marijuana, it could have been the grower, but i found PPP, to be sub-par..

peace
Chefboy

CalcioErba2004

CalErba
Veteran
I have smoked PPP, and yes it has sativa qualities but i found that it was a very short "high" and very light tasting marijuana, it could have been the grower, but i found PPP, to be sub-par..

peace
Chefboy

I never grew it out myself, just going by what I am seeing from grow and smoke reports. I am on the hunt for real Durban. I grew a NL#5xDurban cut that found its way into my stable that I really liked a lot. High was crazy...

I knew a kid back east that was from Durban, SA and he said that the weed there is fuckin insane. Cheap as fuck, garbage bags full for next to nothing with the conversion at the time. I'd like to travel down there and get seeds one day...

Those of you that are working lines out of Durban, more power to you and I hope that seeds are available soon. :)

J

Junkhead

I'm looking for the Sam Skunkman Durban line. There's quite a few quotes from him on this site about it. I'm looking to use the faster finishing version for northern outdoor plus its the one i'm familiar with.
Ive been looking at the Ciske (sp) line that either ace or cbg were selling. I know thats in south africa somewhere anyway looks to finish fast, don't know much else about it though.

Didn't know the SSSC and Seed bank durbans were different. Cool to know. OldSSSCguy did you ever get a chance to post those old catalogs on this site? I remember they kept being removed for some reason or other

Isn't PPP widow x durban?

I

icon

sativa seed bank (nirvana) urban poison is durban x nl x durban how close to real durban i dont know & underground seeds has a hybrid (durganchitral) afghan x pakistan chitral x durban poison landrace from the pics ive seen & the smoke reports ive read it seems like a legit durban poison, i got a pack waiting in the fridge.

OldSSSCGuy

Yes, I tried to post all 4 SSSC catalogs + all 3 Seed Bank catalogs because a few of them are not online anywhere. Scanned each page myself from my originals.

They were removed in a day or so by a mod with the statement that 'they were already online everywhere' or something like that. I wrote to nicely ask about it and illustrate that a few of them are almost unknown to canna-history folks. Never got an answer. Felt intentionally dissed. I was expecting my post to get deleted, as a few others have. Very negative vibes at times.

I still hold that they can have great value for breeders and seed history buffs. Those two seed companies were pioneers of spreading genetics for us all. Both of them (especially Nevil, for better or worse) hung their asses out there for us all and deserve a little respect. The genetics they shipped to the USA in particular set off a gold rush of strains unavailable to growers until then. As important to cannabis history as Mr Nice, Shanti, Ed Rosenthal, Jorge Cervantes, and a bunch of other righteous folks are - each in their own venue.

Off my soapbox now... heh....

Update: I posted all the old catalogs. Link in my sig.

Didn't know the SSSC and Seed bank durbans were different. Cool to know. OldSSSCguy did you ever get a chance to post those old catalogs on this site? I remember they kept being removed for some reason or other

Isn't PPP widow x durban?

Last edited:

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I would love to get real Durban. I just ran Dutch Passions Durban , regular and feminized lines. End product was weak in all respects. I probably wont even keep a single mum around out of 2 packs of seeds. Only 1 plant tastes descent and the buzz of all are weak. I'm sure Dutch Passion mixed some Indica in there somewhere(Masterkush?their weak version?). The smoke hardly seems Sativa like, but there are some unique tastes in there(probably from the real Durban coming through?). All in all, I would look past Dutch Passion for this one. Good luck finding the real one,and keep us posted if you do find it. I am sure many people would love to have a legit Durban Poison from seed.

Latest posts

Latest posts