Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > Good coco grow guide, anyone?... anyone?

Thread Title Search
Good coco grow guide, anyone?... anyone? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 PM #1

Good coco grow guide, anyone?... anyone?

I'm really glad to see this forum happen. I'm just about to get started on my grow and I'm going straight Canna. Had surgery on both hands last Tuesday for carpal tunnel syndrome so, in order to conserve energy and eliminate some pain, I'm going to stop worrying about punctuation, grammer and spelling.

This is my 1st grow ever - in anything. Bought Canna brand coco medium, A+b, cannazyme, and PK 13/14. Also have Olivia's cloning solution and general hydro's pH up and down. Would someone mind posting a generic schedule starting at the point that the seedlings are put into veg at about two weeks post germ and maybe walk through nutes and transplant schedule. I saw a thread similar to what I'm asking on another forum site a while back but can't remember where and after finding ICM, i don't have much inclination to go anywhere else. I intended to be up and running by now but surgery set me back a few days so i've got a few more days to learn, hehe.

Any and all help would be appreciated. And thanks to the many who helped me with my grow closet setup. I don't want to be a bother to any here so if I'm asking for too much, just let me know and I'll understand.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:06 AM #2
stikky budz

stikky budz will become famous soon enough
https://www.canna-uk.com/dhtml/products_coco_ab.php

Canna website coco schedule ^^

I dont usually follow guides but i stuck rigidly to that one last grow (from a seed) to see how it would work out, using the lower figure nute dose, and it worked a treat

Last edited by stikky budz; 01-13-2007 at 12:08 AM..
stikky budz is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 AM #3
pray4pistils

pray4pistils will become famous soon enoughpray4pistils will become famous soon enough
That guide recommends a 12/12 hour vegging schedule... Won't that lower the yield? I'm sticking with my 18/6, but to each his own.
pray4pistils is offline Quote

Old 01-13-2007, 11:22 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikky budz
https://www.canna-uk.com/dhtml/products_coco_ab.php

Canna website coco schedule ^^

I dont usually follow guides but i stuck rigidly to that one last grow (from a seed) to see how it would work out, using the lower figure nute dose, and it worked a treat
Thanks for the link. Posted the following in another thread but since a question has come up concerning light schedules...

Found this at another forum (WF)and saved it, I thought it was so good. It was posted by a very knowledgeable and experienced grower. I appreciate it when very experienced growers share their knowledge, saves time, money and frustration. Hope it helps! I did a little editing to fix some spelling errors and I tried to clarify some of his abbreviations because they made this guide a little hard to read. But the numbers are there and I didn't touch those. Everything from "Lighting Schedule" on down was written by the grower.

Lighting Schedule

We did a lot of experiments with light times a few years back using known sativa and sativa dominant clone lines.

With Vegging under HID lights.

20/4 produced the sturdiest growth and the most bulk. Best final yield, taken as 100%
22/2 Less of both growth and bulk. Yield 88%
18/6 Sturdier than 22/2 but slightly less bulk. Yield 87%
24/0 Much lighter in all aspects than 18/6. Yield 79%
16/8 The weediest plants. Yield 67%

Plants vegged to final pots under fluorescents at 20w per sq ft on 18/6 yield 49%

Have not tried 36 hrs dark but did try 48 hrs from 18/6 veg. The final yield was down between 15% and 20% by varying the pure sativas with the biggest loss in final weight and caused the odd herm, [sativas] it did reduce the flowering time by 5 to 8 days.

For the mum lines we have 20/4 to 12/12 gives the best crop weight and bud quality, really that’s all I’m interested in.

16 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:29 PM #5
gaiusmarius

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
Hi mojo

i wish you a speedy recovery.

the canna nutrients and supplements are very easy to use successfully with coco coir.

for the lowest maintenance an automated drip set up would be ideal. but it takes some strength in the fingers to setup a drip system.

hand watering is also a very easy way to get your desired results. just takes a bit more discipline.

here is my fert plan. starting the day the new clones are planted in a rw cube.

rooting in rw phase, 7 to 10 days: rhizotonic full dose, a+b 1 to 1.25 ml per litter ec around 0.8 to 1.2 ph 5.7

veg phase in the coco slabs: A+B at ec 1.2 to 1.5 ph 5.7 and up to 2ml per litter, rhizo full dose for first 3 days of veg, then down to half a ml per lt till week 5 of 12/12 when you stop it.

first 2 weeks of 12/12: up your nutes as much as the plants will take it, but not over 2.0 ec. ph 5.9

after 2 weeks of 12/12 add a booster, either pk 13/14 or bioboost, or even another brand of flowering stimulator. at this point start adding the cannazym or other zym product, specially if you plan to reuse the medium.

from this point on you want to give your plants just as much as they can use, so you watch carefully that the fan leaves don't get too dark green and try and avoid burning the tips. ph 6.0 to 6.1

once you have only 5 days to go till harvest, you start a flush with plain phed water. it's very important not to start the flush too early, as a lot of growth and ripening takes place in the last days. so with a new strain it's best to wait till you start seeing amber trichome heads till you start the flush.

cool is that you can do a massive flush at once and leave the plants another few days with just water and they will have that really tasty smelly aspect that we want as soon as they are dry. only getting better as they are allowed to cure.

this also means your coco will be nicely flushed for the next batch.

if you flush for 14 days in coco, your plants will get so starved that it's no longer positive taste wise.
gaiusmarius is online now Quote

12 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:31 PM #6
the cult
Satan's little helper

the cult is on a distinguished road
some pk questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiusmarius
after 2 weeks of 12/12 add a booster, either pk 13/14 or bioboost, or even another brand of flowering stimulator. at this point start adding the cannazym or other zym product, specially if you plan to reuse the medium.
just to mention, canna's bioboost is to be used together with the rest of their products, including pk13/14.
Also, gaiusmarius, what dosage of pk do you recommend from 2nd week? Hesi recommends from 4th week, but to me it seems most logical to start with it once flowering production really starts (i mean once they have passed the pre flower stage, if they didnt already in veg). i know Canna recommends a dose of (ml/10) 15ml at 4th week, Hesi recommends starting with (ml/10) 2ml at 4th, 5ml 5th 7.5ml next 15ml at 7th week and then flush at 8th. i suppose a dose of 2ml at week 2 would be okay?
and finally (alot of questions i know lol), do you have a good plan for pk addition for sativa's with long flowering? hesis and canna both make their fert plans for 8 week plants, and few finish in mere 8...

thanks as always,
cult

Old 01-13-2007, 07:57 PM #7
gaiusmarius

gaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivorgaiusmarius is a survivor
i am not using it exactly like the canna plan suggests. the bio boost is very expensive and i have found the effects are greatest at those two points in the 12/12. i have used it all the way through too. either way it's good stuff, just check the date before you buy and yes you can use it with the pk13/14 together..

nor do i use the nutrient levels the companies recommend. the above is my many times tried and proved way.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:08 PM #8
gaiusmarius

using pk after the first 14 days of 12/12 is a relatively new thing for me. since canna changed their recommendation for pk use, i decided to try it. as they always test these things well first. so what i do is reduce the ec level by 0.2 or 0.3 and make it up with the pk13/14. this has worked superbly well to give them a fruit making boost right as the first fruit (buds) appear. then again at week 5 the same thing but letting the pk up the ec a bit more this time. the bioboost can be added at the same time to help the plants make even better use of the boost of pk13/14. but running it for every tank fill is not really needed in my opinion. every other fill would be plenty to keep those beneficial's and additives active in the medium. remember a lot of this stuff is sold for money making purposes. you can get really good results using just the basics. in fact i recommend it until one has that way dialed in well all the additives will not do much.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:13 PM #9
gaiusmarius

also remember that each pk that is sold has slightly different instructions on it. the canna bottle actually still tells you to use it once 3 weeks before harvest as a final boost to tighten up that bud. but now the canna site tells you to use it after 14 days when the first flowers show in a 8 or 9 week strain. in a slow sativa you probably give it after 3 weeks. basically when the first pistil bushels are visible and not just single pistil hairs.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM #10
stikky budz

stikky budz will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pray4pistils
That guide recommends a 12/12 hour vegging schedule... Won't that lower the yield? I'm sticking with my 18/6, but to each his own.
To tell you the truth, i hadn't noticed the light times ...Sorry
I just took the first section (18hours) as germination and first week of vegging,,,and the next bit as the rest of the vegging period.
Like i said,, i dont usually follow guides...lol

Reading it carefully, it doesnt recommend a 12/12 veg cycle,,,it starts 12/12 at,,,quote,,,"vegative stage fast growth". The next stage after that is when flowers (buds) have started to show.
That 1- 3 weeks "veg stage fast growth" could be the period when you normally switch to 12/12,,, wait for buds to start froming,,,, and of course the stretch.

,,, but yes,,, 12/12 from the start would lead to a lower yield ~ a dam site lower.