What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Used To Be A Wet Trimmer

I agree that trimming just before consuming gives the best taste! I always store my herb untrimmed. It also cures better that way even though it looks like shit.

Oh, I don't think it looks like shit...

I think they look great, and as those dried glands fall off of the sugar leaves in storage, they accumulate at the bottom of the jar.

I like to collect that and sprinkle it over a joint before it's rolled and man... it's good.

I personally LIKE the look of an untrimmed bud. Looks shaggy, so long as it's not a really leafy strain.

I've never noticed a difference in taste or smell with trimmed v untrimmed buds, wet or dry trimmed... so to me, it's a matter of preference.

I know, I know... there's debate over both methods... but, there is also a lot of debate over which political party is better/worse: Red or Blue. We all know they all work for the same money, and it's a big joke. They both are corrupt and scummy.

I guess people just like to debate.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Transpiration is evaporation + guttation.

Why would you want unused nutes IN your buds?
You're feeding to late if this is the case.
Harvest before lights on and the sugars are left in the soil to be left out of the buds.

Pack a bowl of nutes and smoke it.
Hows that taste?

If you want a response you'll have to ask me again. I can't understand your post, stoner.:laughing:

T

Teddybrae

wet trimming is only a feasible option for very small personal grows

I would have said wet trimming is the only feasible option for larger grows. You lose far too much handling bulk when it's dry. And what about the sticky? having to stop and clean the shears every five minutes or less when there are pounds to trim? I say boring and no good for the arthritis!

But with a small grow you can pretend you're a Connoisseur and do it any way you like ... and call it what you want.

Isn't life grand?!

wet trimming is only a feasible option for very small personal grows

even still I don't if its hot and dry time of harvest when its cooler I like to rough wet trim to take away some moisture
I really can't regulate temp or relative humidity where I dry

Klompen

Depending on how you are drying and curing the cut ends of the leaves definitely evaporate water away faster. In a controlled-humidity environment it shouldn't really matter though. Oldschoolgrower's idea of using a combination of a humidifier and dehumidifier to keep it at an exact humidity is a pretty slick idea. Its similar to how industrial tobacco producers age tobacco at controlled humidity levels.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Oldschoolgrower's idea of using a combination of a humidifier and dehumidifier to keep it at an exact humidity is a pretty slick idea. Its similar to how industrial tobacco producers age tobacco at controlled humidity levels.

If you can, this seems optimal. It compensates for smaller buds drying first and keeps everything safely on hold until finding motivation to do the work. Waiting too long before packaging (jarring) would probably cause the _bouquet_ to dissipate.

Klompen - Natuurlijk .

Depending on how you are drying and curing the cut ends of the leaves definitely evaporate water away faster. In a controlled-humidity environment it shouldn't really matter though. Oldschoolgrower's idea of using a combination of a humidifier and dehumidifier to keep it at an exact humidity is a pretty slick idea. Its similar to how industrial tobacco producers age tobacco at controlled humidity levels.

I dry hundreds of pounds at a time this way...... It works!

I guess I should have stated I pump the AC down to 60F, then when the buds first go in it's 45% RH. After 4 days at 45%, I then slowly bring the RH up over the next week to around 60%. This will keep the buds ready for trimming for months/years.

Believe me, when you have hundreds of pounds to dry, nobody is wet trimming. Also, if you have hundreds of pounds, nobody is trimming the second it dries either. There must be a acclimation time period, or you will miss that small dry window every-time.:tiphat: Once the plants reach 60% RH and the buds are "dry", then you can buck down into bins also. However I keep my bins in an air conditioned room with 60% RH as well.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Makes sense. Go drier at first to get the extreme moisture away that could cause mold and then move towards the 60% target without over drying. Cooler air gives some refrigerator effect - less breakdown before it's stable.

Klompen

Klompen - Natuurlijk .

I'm not actually Dutch by birth(got plenty of Dutch ancestors though). I used to be in a Half-Life gaming group with some Dutch folks and I jokingly named the group "Deadly Wooden Shoes"

Klompen

I dry hundreds of pounds at a time this way...... It works!

I guess I should have stated I pump the AC down to 60F, then when the buds first go in it's 45% RH. After 4 days at 45%, I then slowly bring the RH up over the next week to around 60%. This will keep the buds ready for trimming for months/years.

Believe me, when you have hundreds of pounds to dry, nobody is wet trimming. Also, if you have hundreds of pounds, nobody is trimming the second it dries either. There must be a acclimation time period, or you will miss that small dry window every-time.:tiphat: Once the plants reach 60% RH and the buds are "dry", then you can buck down into bins also. However I keep my bins in an air conditioned room with 60% RH as well.

Nice technique! Thanks for elaborating. I can't imagine having hundreds of pounds to dry. I'm really just hoping around the start of next year to have hundreds of grams to dry lol I really miss smoking. My outdoor efforts this year all met with disaster.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm not actually Dutch by birth(got plenty of Dutch ancestors though). I used to be in a Half-Life gaming group with some Dutch folks and I jokingly named the group "Deadly Wooden Shoes"

Dodelijke Klompen

I spent several years there. Loved it.

redlaser

Veteran
Makes sense. Go drier at first to get the extreme moisture away that could cause mold and then move towards the 60% target without over drying. Cooler air gives some refrigerator effect - less breakdown before it's stable.

Lots of ways to do things obviously, people have their favorites. I prefer 55-60 temps with 55/60 humidity as well.

At those numbers I’ve found that even if a bud has a few spots of budrot it does not progress and rot more. Unless you have enough time to examine each bud in detail you will miss a few spots.

55/60 temps and humidity is best to store at as well, on top of whatever container buds are in. Storage totes work, as long as there is a plastic liner between the lid and bottom. The liners are key because if your humidifier runs out of water or electric is out, dehuey dies, etc., it’s your only backup.

Ideally you want at least two humidistat’s and two thermometers, on two facing walls to get an idea of the whole room condition.

When storing/drying/curing at these numbers the flowers are not so dry that trichomes are easily knocked off.

For example, in a 27 gal tote filled to a foot deep with unbucked branches, it’s typical to see less than half a gram of kief on the bottom of the tote.

At these numbers, the flowers can also be “ lightly” machine trimmed to get the bulk of leaves removed and still have very little trichome loss.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Really appreciate the good info here. Growing this year moved outdoors after a few years of indoor hydro. The old grow room will easily do this with total environmental control and fresh air ventilation.

With this method the drying process rolls right into the cure. Easy. Once stabilized, I have always jarred in quart jars and burped six or so times over three weeks and then vacuum sealed the jars. This has worked well and given long shelf life with little loss in quality.

I like leaving the sugar leaves untrimmed, so they look like hairy nuggets.
Plus, less handling in process leaves more available THC on them.

People see it, make a face and then smoke it and are "shocked" at how good it tastes and how powerful it still is despite looking like 70's weed.

They're spoiled I guess... all this manicured bud going around.
I don't like to wet trim, but I do it just to get the longer sugar leaves off. I don't scrape the buds by cutting it closer; it gets enough of the harsher leaf matter off without sacrificing intact resin glands.

All a matter of taste I guess.

I will add this:

1970's women had hairy bushes... and the pussy was STILL good.

Nowadays, they're mostly shaven... and while smoother; the pussy is STILL good.

Was I going somewhere with this?
I can't remember.

hahaha

BerrySeal

I dont even trim anymore. The way we all found out that dry trimming works better is because we got past the "showing off my bud before it's finished" phase and stopped trimming personal stash, long ago. Separating leaf from calyx is part of the ritual, like wringing out seed used to be (apparently some people don't grind their bud, smoked the seeds and thought that decision makes it bad pot.. I'm smoking an open pollination right now! Best weed in years.)

Nowadays after years of calling it "exotics" and leaving a skirt around the bottom, I just don't trim at all, and explain to my handful of people why I leave the leaves on and adjust price/weight accordingly. Not that an explanation is needed, real heads go by smell/flavor/high and it can't be beat.

Trimmed bud is for people who don't know how to break apart a bud for a good smoke. Start from the bottom and pull downwards, leaf layers seperate real easy... I'll pluck them suckers out with tweezers if I ever enter a cup.

T

Teddybrae

Oh God! I feel so left out! I have no technology to fall back on. All I can do is package the gear and sit it in the morning sun while watching like a hawk. if the ingredients don't sweat on the inside of the bag in a few minutes I know the package is dry enough. How primitive!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Oh God! I feel so left out! I have no technology to fall back on. All I can do is package the gear and sit it in the morning sun while watching like a hawk. if the ingredients don't sweat on the inside of the bag in a few minutes I know the package is dry enough. How primitive!

Definitely not left out. You likely didn't learn what you know on the internet. Probably a good chance that someone showed you who had done it that way for some time. There are allot of places in pot growing where technology enables people who were not taught the art of growing.

I happen to be one of those people, taught to grow indoors with hydro. So manny cc's of this, so many of that, you can't miss. Now hydro has been given up and the grow moved outdoors. Next season I will have compost and prepare the soil myself. It doesn't seem unreasonable that paper bags are I'm my future as I continue to learn the art and craft of growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts