What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

D.C. Has Had More Than 300 Synthetic Marijuana Overdoses In 2 Weeks

R

Robrites

More than 300 people have overdosed in Washington, D.C. just in the last twoweeks after consuming what is suspected to be synthetic marijuana, known as K2. The crisis is offering a glimpse into a wrenching national problem — the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is tracking multiple outbreaks across the country associated with synthetic cannabinoids use and The Food and Drug Administration recently warned of "severe illnesses and deaths" that have resulted from the use of contaminated synthetic marijuana products in recent months in several states.
Synthetics are a collection of man-made psychoactive chemicals that are sprayed on plant material. They are sold under several catchy brand names such as K2, Spice, AK-47, Mr. Happy, Scooby Snax, Kush and Kronic, according to the CDC. They come in shiny packages with bright logos – they could easily be mistaken for party favors. They are often made from a combination of legal components — but those combinations are proving deadly and are creating big challenges for the first responders, health workers and law enforcement.
<aside id="ad-backstage-wrap"> </aside> The CDC received its first reports of sales of synthetic marijuana in 2004, and the department says use of the products has increased over the past several years in spite of increased legislation.
As a food delivery driver who zig-zags through Washington, D.C., David Barnett, 32, says he has seen that "overdoses are happening everywhere," — even in some of the more prosperous neighborhoods in the city.
"I've seen people overdosing in Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, the H Street corridor," he says, "and a couple of days ago I saw paramedics helping a woman outside of Union Station."
"It's not just near homeless shelters," echoes Douglas Buchanan, spokesperson for the D.C. Fire and EMS Department.
Barnett says K2 has become popular because it's cheap and inconspicuous. K2 is now ubiquitous in the city, he says. "It's sold at gas stations, corner stores and tobacco shops" on the internet and on the streets, says Barnett. "I see the empty wrappers everywhere" he says.
_dsc0211_custom-9f4d085e72ceafefb72e07a01d7cf568dd086263-s300-c85.jpg

"I've seen people overdosing in Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, the H Street corridor," said David Barnett, a fast food delivery driver.

Eslah Attar/NPR

"If you're on probation and your urine is tested, K2 doesn't show up in the test," that's why people are using it more, Barnett says.

Read The Rest At NPR

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Sad that it is what it is :( Cheap weed with empty promises (marketing no THC detection). Make sure the weed you smoke today doesn't send you to heaven tomorrow! Mama said... "nothing in life is free" Sound to good to be true? By-pass it and grow your own :)

BerrySeal

Jwh18 needs to be distinguished from lab thc, since that's what's being tested on the legal market right now. Synthetic thc is a much bigger problem. E-weed garbage, bet your ass its already being tested on customers.

mack 10

Veteran
That stuffs nasty.
Its all over the Uk too.
It started off as a synthetic but has
Evolved into its own beast.
Now illegal over here.
Every so often they over spray which causes all these od's.

keep away from that synthetic crap.
We don't know what it is,
Nor what it does.

therevverend

Veteran
Honestly much of this stuff is hysteria about a powerful psychedelic being legal in some places. It's a crappy alternative to the real thing and way more powerful then it needs to be. When they say overdose it means a trip to the hospital to get the stomach pumped. If it's pure it's as toxic as regular THC which is not toxic. But when they start fucking around with it..
My favorite is this snippet from the wikipedia site on synthetic THC:

This stuff would go away if cannabis was legal everywhere. But when cannabis is legal these stories would shift to regular THC overdoses because there'd be no need to take the synthetic stuff. And in legal places there's plenty of these kind of stories about THC concentrates and edibles.
And what are the growers on the West Coast doing? Promptly get some U-Hauls on the road to DC!

herbgreen

Veteran
This is a chemical that mimics the the effect thc has on cb1 receptors

Its not really synthetic cannabis....

Merinol is synthetic THC 100% lab created and you will test positive for thc

This is not that....this is a changing chemical structure to stay ahead of laws that is not and has never been cannabis or synthetic cannabis

Its a group of chemicals that mimic the actions of cannabis on brain cannabinoid receptors

Its a direct result of prohibition.......

I lived in flats and they were all on it . One guy wet his bed always . His brother admitted to hospital with the worse case of pneumonia they had ever seen . Strange thing is i gave them a few puffs of black widow and they started tripping one guy started ripping his clothing off saying he was burning up . Reasons for buying that crap cheap and easy to get than real weed in good old great Britain .

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
What pisses me off most about this crap is that it is and has been linked to our most revered plant CANNABIS, and it has nothing to do with it, but still tarnishes the name of the plant every time you see a report on it, so directly attacking and making real 'erb look toxic and dangerous to the uninitiated....

Just another way for the main-stream-media to continue to demonize cannabis, and that SUCKS!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
more casualties of the "war on drugs". nothing more than the old law of unintended consequences where action A always precedes result B. they cut back on people in pains ability to get prescription pain meds, then act surprised when those folks start dropping like flies from adulterated heroin/fentanyl instead of just suffering like the feds wanted them to. keep pot illegal & test for it for jobs/unemployment benefits, then act surprised when they smoke chemical trash that won't show up in drug testing. "gosh, don't they know that we are trying to help them? why won't they do what we want?" :moon: fucking morons...

bsandman77

Why the hell would people smoke that crap , all the chemicals in it... Especially now we live in a nation its pretty easy to obtain legal stuff shit and about every shop sell those cbd gummies.

I been selling glass wear and other stuff to smoke shops for over 10 years and never once sold that fake crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Why the hell would people smoke that crap , all the chemicals in it... Especially now we live in a nation its pretty easy to obtain legal stuff shit and about every shop sell those.

it's cheaper, and won't show up in most (not all) drug testing. wouldn't surprise me if big pharma was making/selling it to make weed look bad in publics eyes...

yardgrazer

I've never found CBD gummies to be noticeably psychoactive?

It is annoying to see K2 whatever they're marketing it as now, being called synthetic marijuana rather than a synthetic cannabinoid, which is what it is.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I've never found CBD gummies to be noticeably psychoactive?

It is annoying to see K2 whatever they're marketing it as now, being called synthetic marijuana rather than a synthetic cannabinoid, which is what it is.

CBD is not supposed to be active; in fact, it is believed by many researchers that CBD helps regulate/mitigate the effects of THC in weed. right as rain about k2. calling it "synthetic marijuana" just gives real pot a black eye!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
They're resorting to this to get a buzz and still pass a drug test? There are so many ways around drugs tests today. I'd rather just stay sober than smoke any of that garbage.

Redbud70

We had some kids get ahold of some around here and they took some bueffmorphine the very thing that suppose to get these opioid addicts off dope. There very lucky to be alive, but k2 is not what you want our kids on rather them smoking cannabis behind a barn or building. Lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
They're resorting to this to get a buzz and still pass a drug test? There are so many ways around drugs tests today. I'd rather just stay sober than smoke any of that garbage.

agree. i smoked the original K2 for a while to get around drug testing.
did not realize just how often i was smoking it. oldest son asked me one day when i was off work why i was going to work shed so often. i asked how many times i had gone that day & he told me "9 or 10 so far..." threw the shit away right then & never touched it again. i had no idea....pot aint habit forming but that shit is.

radioman

I was at a Music Festival (Ziontific) and I smoked some my weed with the "Fire Spinners". Well I guess they felt obligated to smoke some of their's... It was the "Fake Shit". I took 1 hit and it wiped Me out in a terrible way. A sick way. I had to go lay down in My van. I almost left. I missed a band I really wanted to see...
That shit was terrible - now I won't even smoke anything that is offered to Me at Music Festivals. I will only smoke My own weed that I bring myself...

Latest posts

Latest posts