Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Coco Coir > Can You Bottom Feed With Coco ?

Thread Title Search
Can You Bottom Feed With Coco ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM #1
Buddaluva

Buddaluva has a spectacular aura aboutBuddaluva has a spectacular aura aboutBuddaluva has a spectacular aura about
Can You Bottom Feed With Coco ?

Im wanting to do a bottom feed grow so i dont have to move my plants when i water

I have some smart pots that i want to use for it

Can i fill my smart pots up with coco and bottom feed with it ? Like have my smart pot sitting in a saucer and let it leach up when i water ?

Also can i use just coco instead of mixing it with perlight since its gonna be leaching up instead of draining out ?

Thanks in advance fellas
Buddaluva is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM #2
TribalSeeds

Get yourself Blumats already. What are you waiting for?

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM #3
Treetroit City
Moderately Super

Treetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivorTreetroit City is a survivor
I would think you'll end up with high salt concentrations leading to toxicity. Not a good idea.

Current Karma OG Test Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Sorry its not chock full with landrace genes... blame joesy
Treetroit City is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 PM #4
Buddaluva

Buddaluva has a spectacular aura aboutBuddaluva has a spectacular aura aboutBuddaluva has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalSeeds View Post
Get yourself Blumats already. What are you waiting for?
I had to google to see what you where talking about lol

They look pretty sweet i found a this 3 pk on ebay for 11 bucks that im gonna try out to see how they do

Gonna try it out on my air pot

This is what your talking about right ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Pl...item2320d99895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Coast View Post
I would think you'll end up with high salt concentrations leading to toxicity. Not a good idea.
Toxicity from bottom feeding ? or only using coco ?

Sorry for my ignorance on the matter
Buddaluva is offline Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 PM #5
TribalSeeds

No
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235426
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111046

Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM #6
Hempsmoke

Hempsmoke will become famous soon enoughHempsmoke will become famous soon enough
Yes you can.
If it will work out is another question...
Hempsmoke is offline Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 PM #7
Scrappy-doo

I hand water in coco daily, and always feed till the drip tray is about 1/2 to 1 inch full and let it sit in that.

Never never never do I have any issues with this method as far as salt buildup or toxicity. All I have are healthy plants. These problems are theories created by people who have not done it. Experience tells me this is not the case.

I do make sure I let the plant drink whatever is in the tray before feeding again, and adjust the amount so that I feed daily. I don't want her constantly sitting in a stew of liquid that becomes stagnant. I want her to drink it all up so only feed as much as I know she'll drink till the next day.

I can't think of a single reason why bottom feeding wouldn't work, considering how well I do with my method.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM #8
TribalSeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy-doo View Post
I hand water in coco daily, and always feed till the drip tray is about 1/2 to 1 inch full and let it sit in that.

Never never never do I have any issues with this method as far as salt buildup or toxicity. All I have are healthy plants. These problems are theories created by people who have not done it. Experience tells me this is not the case.

I do make sure I let the plant drink whatever is in the tray before feeding again, and adjust the amount so that I feed daily. I don't want her constantly sitting in a stew of liquid that becomes stagnant. I want her to drink it all up so only feed as much as I know she'll drink till the next day.

I can't think of a single reason why bottom feeding wouldn't work, considering how well I do with my method.
What youre doing isnt the same as bottom feeding. Youre actually flushing fresh nutes through until runoff every day. Thats not experience with bottom feeding in coco... You wont get runoff through the top.
I dont know if bottom feeding works or not. Ive never tried it.
The way I prefer to use coco is really fast. I like multiple feeds per day or Blumats. You want nutes and o2 rushing through there as often as possible.
What you dont want is your roots soaking in soggy coco or water for very long.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM #9
cyat

cyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of lightcyat is a glorious beacon of light
sure you can
It actually works great
a tip I learned from autopots is to is to add water/nutes as soon as the juice is sucked up,
no need to wait a day or two...
one thing Ive noticed is my plants drink about 2x as much with this method
can be automated with one auotpot smartvalve per tray or whatever u use
cyat is offline Quote

Old 10-16-2012, 10:41 PM #10
Scrappy-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalSeeds View Post
What youre doing isnt the same as bottom feeding. Youre actually flushing fresh nutes through until runoff every day. Thats not experience with bottom feeding in coco...
Where in my post did I say I have experience with bottom feeding?

When I said 'in my experience' I was not referring to bottom feeding, I was referring to letting my coco sit in its food, which people theorize will cause toxicity and salt buildup detrimental to plant health.

And again I will say that IN MY EXPERIENCE, which I have plenty of as far as this topic goes, there is absolutely no problem with salt buildup or toxicity. All I have are healthy plants.

So there should be no problems with feeding from the bottom, as my plants do that daily for the rest of the day after I feed them.