What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEAPER ENZYMES

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
CC-thanks for the info on Barley, i've done a little reading up and it's v interesting. Have been thinking about the relationship between beer and bread all week-hmmm.....

I got some pond cleaner and noticed that there were 2 types on sale. One type toxic containing pyrethroids-the other type claiming to be eco-friendly harmless to fish/wildlife.
It is made by Hozelock-Green Water Treatment with dilution ratio 10ml/454L or 0.25ml/12L. It says that the effectivness of the product will be reduced if the ph of the pond is outside a range of 6.5-8.5 -whereas my coir pond will be around 6.0-hmmmm.....

eddieS

You guys are putting far more thought into this enzyme thing than I EVER did. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the ruminations, new info, peer review etc.

The next time I buy enzymes I believe I'll buy some dry pond enzymes. I'll do so because dry enzymes have a MUCH longer shelf life, and no one else has yet to try it.

Thank you all.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
CC-thanks for the info on Barley, i've done a little reading up and it's v interesting. Have been thinking about the relationship between beer and bread all week-hmmm.....

eddieS
EddieShoestring

Here's a link to an ongoing project at Oregon State University's Crop & Soil Department over in Corvallis, OR - Barley World

You'll find some interesting updates about ongoing projects being conducted by OSU in many areas of growing and using barley and its byproducts. There's some pretty interesting links as well.

Cheers!

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
EddieS

If you happen to come across references to Masanobu Fukuoka ("One Straw Revolution") and the use of barley straw, you'll probably find it pretty interesting combined with the discussion of microbe-inoculants and so-called enzyme products (I thought that's what bacteria did, in part, i.e. create enzymes - who knew that it took a cannabis nutrient company to bring us enzymes! Signs & wonders or smoke & mirrors?)

Extractions of the book are available online as well as a plethora of web sites oriented to his work.

HTH

CC

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
Ok so i got this from lowes, for around 20 bucks.

The instructions say:
Pond set up & start up
Once a week for 4 weeks
2teaspoons(10g) treats 150 u.s. gallons(570L)
2tablespoons(30g) treats 500 u.s. gallons(1890L)
2 level capsfuls treat 750 u.s. gallons(2840L)

Regular Maintenance
Every 2 weeks
1teaspoon (5g) treats 150 u.s. gallons(570L)
1tablespoon (15g) treats 500 u.s. gallons(1890L)
1 level capful treats 750 u.s. gallons(2840L)

Prior to shutdown, use 1teaspoon(5g) for each 100 u.s. gallon (380L) of total pond water volume

sorry to all the smart peeps for the misspelling and such, but you get the point:joint:

CottonMouth

How does this compare to the pond zyme +
Stress Zyme +
made by API (aquarium pharmaceuticals)

It is made for aquariums vs the ponds, and the dose for 1 gallon of water is 1ml of Stress Zyme.

It is called a biological filteration booster, helps speed up the nitrogen cycle of an aquarium.

Contains live bacteria.

If this is the same stuff at what dose should this be used at for coco, and should it be used during the plants life or only to clean up the coco after the grow is over?

CM

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
OldMan&theWeed You guys are putting far more thought into this enzyme thing than I EVER did. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the ruminations, new info, peer review etc.

thats one of the great things about ICMag-if you have an idea with some merit someone will pick it up and run with it.

CC-thanks for the book ref-i'm checking it out.

Cottonmouth-
If this is the same stuff at what dose should this be used at for coco, and should it be used during the plants life or only to clean up the coco after the grow is over?
this is the shit that we're trying to work out-but i think that the general idea is to use it as one would use one of the commercially available ganjazymes.

check this out-
"DiaMalt Organic Diastatic Malt Extract
Organic Diastatic malt extract is a natural product used to provide a valuable source of flavourings and enzymes. Organic diastatic malt extract is made from the aqueous extract of organic malted barley. By carefully controlling the evaporation process during concentration the naturally occurring enzymes in the original organic malt are preserved, enabling the end user to make use of the enzyme activity. The product can be used in a variety of products including brewing, baking and malt loaves."

i why if the organic dudes are giving this stuff to their plants?

good stuff guys
eddieS

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
i why if the organic dudes are giving this stuff to their plants?

eddieS
Eddie

Being an 'artisan baker' first and a 'MMJ' grower about #50 in my life, and to that point I do 'malt' my own barley for my bread baking needs.

After reading and reading any number of 'old school' organic processes from mostly English and French gardening historical techniques (like the 'French Bio-Intensive Gardening Technique'), I began applying 'barley tea' mixtures as both a soil drench as well as a foliar application.

Good stuff for 'heat stress' and general health. As you begin to research barley in general, don't dismiss the information provided at any number of sites on the overall benefit of eating, using, etc. barley.

Quite a grain actually.

CC

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
cool CC

you're obviously ahead of the game-i'm playing catch up. Just thinking about your bread is making me feel hungry now too:(
i hear what you're saying about the tea-nice historical ref as well

on a personal note-my sisters geneological research found out that my great grandfatherX5 ran a pub and his brother was a maltster in a village in the English Midlands in the 1850s-which i use to justify drinking beer:)

plan is to try to get hold of a high diastatic malt from a home brew shop tommorrow and take it from there

cheers

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
EddieShoestring

Every 3 years there is a baking contest held in Paris known as the 'Coupe de Monde Boulangere' (pardon my bad French! LOL) and this contest is held among 30 countries (or more) and the basis of this 'bread baking contest' is that all of the contestants are required to use the exact ingredients as it relates to water, flour, salt and yeast origin.

The teams are required to perform certain 'bread baking' deals like baquettes, loafs, puff pastry, et al - all things 'yeast' as it were.

In the past 20 years the American baking teams have won overwhelmingly. The epi-center of artisan baking is right here in America. American wheat is highly prized in Europe and especially France. In Paris alone are over 3,000 bakeries.

The study of enzymes as it relates to bread baking is an ongoing study and worthy of review for folks in the nursery paradigm. There are many lessons to be reviewed and studied, IMHO

BTW - I just took out from my oven loaves of ciabiatta, como loaves and a 'formula' (btw -bakers never use the term recipe - rather 'formula') using 2 different 'pre-ferments' as they're known). Poolish for example which is named in honor by French bakers for the Polish bakers who taught them this technique of 'pre-fermenting' yeast cultures.

Not unlike this discussion here, eh?

HTH

CC

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I can't have glutens so using barley makes me really nervous. I doubt it would be taken into the root system, but it'd still be present in my grow room.... Any other grains work? Preferably a gluten-free grain?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I can't have glutens so using barley makes me really nervous. I doubt it would be taken into the root system, but it'd still be present in my grow room.... Any other grains work? Preferably a gluten-free grain?
magiccannabus

You could sprout, roast and grind just about any seed and some that might be of interest to you (given the gluten issue) would be amaranth or quinoa (both very ancient grains and are really packed with nutrition), garbanzo beans, flaxseed (highly recommended - I use it my soil mix), and millet.

They should serve you well. To sprout put about 1/4 cup in a quart Mason jar and cover with water and let them sit for 24 hours or so. Drain and put in a dark place. Rinse and drain each morning and night with fresh water. In a couple of days you'll have seeds with a tail hanging out and then you can drain them and pat them dry and roast. Then grind and use as you wish.

HTH

CC

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Flaxseed... interesting! I have bunches of that, and also garbanzo beans. What's the point of germing them though? I could grind them up whole pretty easily, I make my own flour sometimes.

gmanwho

Veteran
I tryed a test myself a days ago, tested pond-zyme, Home-made Bokashi, Cannazym.
Roots1sthrsROWaterPond-ZymeBokashiC.jpg

After 24hrs, it looks like Pond-zyme is in the lead fallowed by Bokashi, then cannazym taken the rear...
Roots24hrsROwaterPond-Zyme.jpg

Pond-Zyme^

Roots24hrsROWaterBokashi.jpg

Bokashi^

Roots24hrsROWaterCannazym.jpg

Cannazym^

Will be back with updated pics tomorrow

Been a few days Kosmo, im eager to see your results. One thing i wonder is the rate you applied the pond cleaner since it can be super concentrated.

B-safe

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Flaxseed... interesting! I have bunches of that, and also garbanzo beans. What's the point of germing them though? I could grind them up whole pretty easily, I make my own flour sometimes.
magiccannabus

In the world of bread baking, the reason that you 'malt' (roast) the sprouted seeds is to push up the enzyme count. In bread 'malted barley' is what feeds the yeast (either commercial of 'wild yeast' floating around in the air all around us) which allows for the 'crumb' in a bread. Bakers always to the 'crust vs. crumb' profiles in their bread formulas. 'Crumb' in the bread-baking world is the part of the loaf aside from the 'crust' or the outside.

The structure of the 'crumb' is similar to what cannabis grower's look for in their various growing techniques, i.e. 'yield'

HTH

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts