What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Hey ya'll is it possible to over water clones? I cut 4 clones a week and a half ago now and 1 died off within 2 days. The other 3 still are green and look like cuttings, look healthy, I swear one of them is even taller. But no roots at all on them yet. I took them cleanly, dipped in water immediately, then rooting hormone, then into the root riot planting cubes, then into a propagation dome with an attached thermometer/hygrometer. Temperature is in the 70-80's, mostly hovering around 75. Humidity I'm not sure the meter actually doesn't say which makes me think I over did it. Is it possible to over water these clones? I just added like 8 more cuttings 3 days ago and have been trying to keep it humid for them by spraying every day. Am I over doing it and stunting their root growth? At this point I feel like I should just bite the bullet and make an aerocloner, people seem to get awesome results with them on here. Thanks for reading this wall o text.:tiphat:

RockinRobot

You can definitely over water cuttings. It causes what is known as damping off.

I clone in 1 1/2" rockwool cubes. I dip rockwool in ph adjusted water and gently shake out the excess before I insert my clone. It doesn't get water again for at least a week, unless for some reason it dries out.

I have found the media doesn't dry much in the dome until roots are forming

I keep the holes in the dome closed first 3 days then open them. After a week I'm usually able to remove the dome completely. I NEVER mist, not even the day I take clones. I will add a little water to the bottom of the tray first day to help bring humidity in dome up faster.

I also prefer gel type root hormones as I believe they seal the stem and help prevent air embolism which will kill clones.

I set my tray above my t5 veg lights to keep them warm also.

Last edited:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Spraying clones is only good for the first day or two. If you continue to spray them they won't root because they are getting water through the leaves.

Turn the temp up in the dome. 80-85 is best.

Another tip, take the cuttings and let them soak over night in a glass of water. Recut the stem and stick them in rockwool.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Yeah mate, you'll end up rotting the stem before the roots get chance to grow that way. Rather than worrying about increasing the humidity, reduce the demands for water. Remove the large fan leaves, just growth points get to keep leaves and very low light levels, mean the clone doesn't need to source as much water. I use a 9w cfl at 6" for new clones.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Once you take the cutting it's good to leave it to hydrate in a cup of nute solution or water for 6-12 hrs before planting into the root riots.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I already cut all the fan leaves in half. That's how I lost that original one, I cut it back way too much and the next morning it had slumped over into almost mush.

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
The root riots dont need to be soaked, if im taking a few i pre charge the bag with nutes like superthrive or something, then drain and squeeze them all out so they are wet but still airy. Maybe even fresh out the bag if they are new, lil spritz and good rh/temps and not a lot of lumens and your golden with all the good advice from others in this thread.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Yeah mine are nice and fresh. Not soaking wet, but definitely still damp. Thanks again for all the advice people! :thank you:

Americangrower

Veteran
I put 2 or 3 clones in each puck if I want more clones.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Over watering and mutilating cutting fan leaf -yikes! Environmental stress and mishandling during this time can lead to all sorts of complications. Cloning is performing surgery on your plants. Every cut made is an open wound that is susceptible to infection and needs to be treated with care- all you can do is to make sure the lights stay on and that it doesn’t get too hot or cold in the room. Resist picking them up every day and turning them upside down to see if the roots have appeared yet. Newbie mistake.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I do the plain pH'd water method, works for me,
but I do maybe 6 at a time, micro style.

Here's one:

picture.php

99% strike rate, seedling mat with cooler temps, natch.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Spraying clones is only good for the first day or two. If you continue to spray them they won't root because they are getting water through the leaves.

Turn the temp up in the dome. 80-85 is best.

Another tip, take the cuttings and let them soak over night in a glass of water. Recut the stem and stick them in rockwool.

I found that most sources have said 72-75F is best, as anything at 80 or higher will encourage root rot. Ive been trying hard to avoid hitting 80 recently. Maybe what I read was wrong ?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
AmericanGrower that's exactly the type of thing I'm talking about, I just have a smaller pump so will be trying 1/2 inch tubing instead of the pvc.
Aribud you make me sound like a killer man :D I misspoke when I said I cut them in half, it was more a trim to make everything fit under the dome. I followed JJscorpio's post over at https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=798023
DroppedCat that looks awesomely simple? Do you know the room humidity/temperature you keep those in?
And PaulieWaulie I have also heard those temperature ranges over in that thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=798023 And I read somewhere the humidity outside an aerocloner is less important than if you are doing a traditional cloning run. Something about the roots having full access to all the oxygen and moisture they need, so you don't need to over humidify the leaves to shut down the transpiration. I've heard humidity dome on a aerocloner is a bad idea because of that. I'ma come back hit ya'll up with rep whenever it resets for me.