What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crucial final vote this week for marijuana legalization in Canada

iBogart

Veteran
OTTAWA – The bill to legalize recreational marijuana in Canada is up for a crucial vote at the last step in the legislative process this week, with uncertainty looming over what the final wording of the law will be.

Senators are set to vote on Bill C-45, the Cannabis Act, at third reading in the Senate on Thursday, after studying it for six months. For those planning to follow the vote that day, rest up as it’s possible the vote could not happen until midnight. It could also be much earlier, but entirely depends on how many senators want to speak to the bill that day. Midnight would be the latest possible, as all sides agreed to vote on the bill by June 7 at the latest.

The legislation – an electoral promise of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the Liberal Party – would allow adults in Canada to legally possess and use small amounts of recreational marijuana. It sets out parameters around the production, possession, safety standards, distribution, and sale of marijuana. It also creates new Criminal Code offences for selling marijuana to minors. The proposed federal law spells out that it will be illegal for anyone younger than 18 to buy pot, but allows for provinces and territories to set a higher minimum age.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mar...-at-last-step-ahead-of-legalization-1.3958662

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes! Good Luck Canada!!! I really hope that it passes through without too many restrictions for the consumers.

therevverend

Veteran
I used to be 100% in support of whatever kind of legalization everywhere. Washington state's legalization has soured me to it. It's made me very cynical every time I see a legalization measure.
I'll say this not knowing any of the details of this law, don't know if I'd support it or not. Be sure to know what you're voting for. Just because you're told it's legalization doesn't mean it is. Don't vote for it if you're unhappy with parts of the law. The government will try it's damnedest to undermine and bend it.
Don't vote for it because even though it's imperfect you think it'll be the only shot at legalization. Next year someone may write a better legalization measure that keeps individual rights without selling them out to big money.
If it doesn't guarantee legal home grows I wouldn't vote for it. Legal possession while growers keep getting thrown in jail is not legalization.
That said it's great news for Canada and the world. Whatever happens it's another enormous step in the right direction. Let's keep the dominoes falling and shake up the UN next.

iBogart

Veteran
So the Trump administration slapped Canada with steel and aluminum tariffs recently. I wonder if this has anything to do with the legalization vote this Thursday?

iBogart

Veteran
From the Huff Po: https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jay-r...ly-canadas-emerging-weed-industry_a_23377345/

Trump Could Use NAFTA To Bully Canada's Emerging Weed Industry

The U.S. is cracking down on cannabis at home while pushing close allies like Israel to curb their cannabis industry. Is Canada next?

Last month, (allegedly) following a call from U.S. President Donald Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu delayed a long-held plan to export Israeli medicinal cannabis.
It was a troubling moment for Canada's cannabis sector, as it signals the possibility that he may try a similar direct or indirect tactic to hamper Canada's own legal cannabis and export industry.

Israel is a world leader in the cannabis space and was uniquely positioned to enter the export. "The seriousness with which the Israeli scientific community approaches this is incomparable," Charles Pollack, a medicinal cannabis expert at Thomas Jefferson University, told Rolling Stone recently. Israel's leadership prompted Bill Nye the Science Guy to produce a show looking at "How is Israel healing the world with marijuana."

Now Israel's preeminent position in the sector is in question. Just last week, the Israeli cannabis sector took the Israeli government to court to break the logjam.
Meanwhile, Canada is preparing to legalize recreational cannabis and further expand its lead in the worldwide cannabis sector. Health Canada has granted several Canadian companies licenses to export, and it is expected that by the end of this month, a total of 528 kilograms of dried cannabis flower and 911 litres of cannabis oil will have been exported this year. Destinations for Canadian-grown cannabis included Australia, Brazil, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Germany, the Netherlands and (interestingly) Israel.

If Canada's budding cannabis industry wants to step onto the world stage, it should learn from Israel's experience in dealing with the U.S. pressure on this important file.
To put it bluntly, the "war on drugs" is still going strong for the Trump Administration.​
Despite the shift the legalization, the war on drugs is not over.
Nine states plus Washington, D.C. have adult-use recreational cannabis regulations. Twenty-nine states have some form of medical cannabis. But neither recreational cannabis nor medicinal cannabis are legal federally in the U.S. — making banking, accessing capital markets and inter-state and international trade illegal.

Canadians should not be overly optimistic on how the industry is viewed by the U.S. because, to put it bluntly, the "war on drugs" is still going strong for the Trump Administration.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions has rescinded guidances from former U.S. President Barack Obama's administration that allowed states to legalize marijuana with minimal federal interference. What this means is that federal prosecutors can use their own discretion to crack down on cannabis businesses legal in that specific state.
For Canadians, it shows just how volatile an issue cannabis remains.
We have large trade deficits with Mexico and Canada. NAFTA, which is under renegotiation right now, has been a bad deal for U.S.A. Massive relocation of companies & jobs. Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum will only come off if new & fair NAFTA agreement is signed. Also, Canada must..
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 5, 2018
How does NAFTA fit into it?
We know how the broader conversation is going: In early February, President Trump was whining that "... Canada does not treat us [the U.S.] right." Last week alone, Trump said, that Canada was "very smooth" in negotiating NAFTA in the past and has been "very rough" and "taken advantage" of the U.S. He continued to set the international trade world ablaze with the promise of sweeping tariffs on key steel and aluminum.
If President Trump is leaning on his own administration to crack down on cannabis while at the same time pushing close allies like Israel to curb their cannabis industry — with NAFTA renegotiations at their mid-point, will the question of Canadian cannabis exports be the issue that is the final nail in the coffin of NAFTA? Or will the U.S. president ignore Canada's burgeoning industry and focus on other issues like dairy, meat and softwood lumber?

The Canadian opportunity
This year, Canada will become the largest country in the world to legalize adult-use recreational cannabis. This is added to the nearly 300,000 patients who already receive legal medical cannabis in Canada.
With a turbulent and aggressive U.S. foreign policy in place — one where the U.S. is bullying allies to curb their cannabis sectors and cracking down domestically — the opportunity presents itself for Canada to lead internationally on something that our largest trading partners have conceded on: cannabis.
Canada leads the world in some very compelling ways — maple syrup production, NHL players and, now, cannabis. These are things that President Trump cannot take away.

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well done, Canada! I just read where cannabis is now legal in Canada. Retail sales won't begin until about September but it is now legal. WOW! That is friggin' awesome!

iBogart

Veteran
by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director <small class="feed-date">June 19, 2018</small>

Members of the Canadian House and Senate have reconciled and given final approval to C-45, sweeping legislation amending the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act so that those over the age of 18 may legally possess, purchase, and grow personal use quantities of cannabis.

Wow man. Just wow. I never thought this would happen in my lifetime. Big congrats to our Canadian neighbors. Show the world how it's done and make us proud!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
by Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director <small class="feed-date">June 19, 2018</small>

Members of the Canadian House and Senate have reconciled and given final approval to C-45, sweeping legislation amending the federal Controlled Drugs and Substances Act so that those over the age of 18 may legally possess, purchase, and grow personal use quantities of cannabis.

Wow man. Just wow. I never thought this would happen in my lifetime. Big congrats to our Canadian neighbors. Show the world how it's done and make us proud!
I know I spent 30 days in the clicnk for 1 doobie back in '74. They were talking legalization then! A long time coming 45 years...

iBogart

Veteran
Mark your calendars. October 17th 2018.

ORONTO (AP) — Marijuana will be legal nationwide in Canada starting Oct. 17 in a move that should take market share away from organized crime and protect the country's youth, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday.

The Senate gave final passage to the bill to legalize cannabis on Tuesday, legislation that will make Canada only the second country in the world to make pot legal across the country.

Trudeau said provincial and territorial governments need the time to prepare for retail sales.

"It is our hope as of October 17 there will be a smooth operation of retail cannabis outlets operated by the provinces with an online mail delivery system operated by the provinces that will ensure that this happens in an orderly fashion," Trudeau said.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article...egalization-date-13010307.php?search=cannabis

oldchuck

Veteran
I'm buying stock in those big Canadian Cannabis companies. A couple of them are capitalized in the billions and have hundreds of thousands of green house square feet under construction. Not exactly a stable market right now but those Canadian guys now have a much bigger foot into a global market despite no federal change in sight in the US.

Drunken Buddha

Open the door Canada and maybe the USA will follow. With Jamaica and Colombia getting sensible the USA needs even more pressure from without to lively up itself.