What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBDs from Hemp

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - Kentucky agriculture officials have burned off a fraction of the state's hemp crop.

Hemp is grown legally in Kentucky and is used in various forms for medicinal purposes but when it crosses a certain threshold, it becomes a form of marijuana.

Officials said about 100 pounds was burned on Thursday. Agriculture leaders claim the crop has a higher THC level than legally allowed.

The grower, Lindsay Todd, who cultivated most of the hemp to be turned into medicine said her product is not psychoactive and that the 0.3 percent THC limit is an "unrealistic number."

The Kentucky Department of Agriculture released the following statement:

"Congress established a 0.3% THC threshold as the legal definition of industrial hemp. The Kentucky Department of Agriculture has no choice but to uphold federal law. Unfortunately, a very small amount of hemp grown by a few of our program participants last year exceeded the THC limit. In this case, one test showed some THC levels were as high as four times the legal limit. In order to prevent that noncompliant material from entering the marketplace, and to ensure the continued success of the Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program, the Department must enforce the law. The vast majority of program participants comply with federal law, and orders to destroy are routine for non-compliant hemp. We estimate that less than 1% of the hemp that grown in Kentucky last year will require destruction. Kentucky’s industrial hemp research pilot program continues to expand at a steady rate and other states look to Kentucky as a model to emulate. Interest in the program continues to grow across the Commonwealth. For 2017, the Department approved 209 grower applications who may cultivate up to 12,800 acres of industrial hemp, nearly triple the number of acres that were approved for the previous year. "

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We estimate that less than 1% of the hemp that grown in Kentucky last year will require destruction. Wow....non-compliant hemp. Political farce?

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
We estimate that less than 1% of the hemp that grown in Kentucky last year will require destruction. Wow....non-compliant hemp. Political farce?

That's what happens when you get your Hemp seeds from Cali. :D

(one University did that...my old school...the rest got their's from Italy) Lindsay Todd gaming the system.

why dont people in need of high cbd herb just smoke hemp?

Feral varieties tend to be low cannabinoid 1:1 (active THCa synthase + active CBDa synthase). Nothing wrong with that, just not a very effective strategy for getting a decent dose of non-psychoactive CBD.

Aridbud, I wouldn't call it a political farce...rather, there were a handful of farms that either got bad seed or waited too long to call KDA to get their crop tested. With true industrial hemp, passing inspection is all about the inspection regimen itself.

oldchuck

Veteran
An important factor is when and what part of the plant is tested. Don't know if the federal rule specifies but that THC component is less when a not quite mature leaf is tested as opposed to testing a fully mature bud. I think European rules specify testing of pre-harvest leaves not mature buds. I suspect Kentucky does it wrong.

hellfire

The same thing is going to happen this year again.

All these people buying Otto seeds are going to be sitting on a shitton of hot oil at the end of the season on top of dealing with cutting it down early everywhere because its a long plant. There are so many shitty strains represented as 'hemp' around these days. Shit hustling c(l)on(e) artists as well.

Does anyone know the cannabinoid profiles of industrial hemp, eg. oil hemp varieties?

Yes, but please be specific with the question, as there are a lot of varieties available that meet that definition and they all have varying profiles.

In general, official "hemp" varieties permitted in Europe are very low cannabinoid content, but CBD predominant. CBD to THC ratios are generally unimpressive (12:1 - 18:1). Some fiber varieties are type II (1:1) with very, very low cannabinoid content.

Is that what you are asking? If not, please clarify.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The same thing is going to happen this year again.

All these people buying Otto seeds are going to be sitting on a shitton of hot oil at the end of the season on top of dealing with cutting it down early everywhere because its a long plant. There are so many shitty strains represented as 'hemp' around these days. Shit hustling c(l)on(e) artists as well.

my pals grew the otto strain out last season, had a bunch of tests done and none of the plant matter was over the legal limit of 0.3%

hellfire

my pals grew the otto strain out last season, had a bunch of tests done and none of the plant matter was over the legal limit of 0.3%

At what week?

You can harvest it early and it won't go hot. But then it won't finish out as much CBD as it has potential for. Everything I've seen of either Otto goes hot if let to go its entire flowering time.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At what week?

You can harvest it early and it won't go hot. But then it won't finish out as much CBD as it has potential for. Everything I've seen of either Otto goes hot if let to go its entire flowering time.

some taken around mid oct tested around 12-14%CBD and not hot
some taken very late for this area around nov. 10 that came back 16% and still not hot

they grew a green pheno and a purple pheno that were selected so maybe had phenos that did not go hot

hellfire

Congrats to them if they selected something that doesn't go hot. That would be the first time I've heard that from Otto seeds, I imagine it might be pretty rare.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i hadnt realized the otto was so hot, many peeps seem to have ran it last year with no problem
what about the baox? i hear it does very well in colorado.... i expect it would throw hot on some phenos

Correct, but it's state-dependent. Testing occurs 4 weeks before harvest in Oregon. I know I sound like a broken record, but what will pass all depends on your testing protocol!

Otto II, BaOx, etc. will pass in Oregon. Shoot, some friends grew 2.5 acres of ACDC outdoors as hemp last year and it even passed (had to harvest early, but everyone in Oregon did with record fall rain).

Last edited:

hellfire

i hadnt realized the otto was so hot, many peeps seem to have ran it last year with no problem
what about the baox? i hear it does very well in colorado.... i expect it would throw hot on some phenos

Generally I've seen Otto fall between .4% and a little over 1% when finished. I have seen it harvested early to avoid that but it was only like 11 or 12% CBD at the time.

I think the BaOx suffers from the same problem...nobody should go throwing a pound of seed out if any of those seeds do produce hot. It isn't a uniformly below .3% hemp strain, it might pass for Oregon and Washington with their 1% laws but not most hemp states. I imagine there will be people selling BaOx clones right around this time that will claim they don't go hot, and hopefully they're not lying or else its gonna be like last year all over again.

Growing a Green Mountain Baox (my own hybrid) this year that tested below 0,3%. But what social ecologist said it all depends on your testing protocol...earlier the better. Fortunately testing in my state is not mandatory (yet).

Latest posts

Latest posts