What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I have a bit of the OTH that’s just been trimmed. Now low 70’s. Maybe I will start a cob and see how it compares.

I will have to consider as I only have a few ounces of primo bud from that plant. its all trimmed, on smaller stems and finishing its dry in a brown paper bag. Tomorrow morning I’ll see what I’ve got and whether to start another cob. View attachment 18799856 View attachment 18799857 View attachment 18799858
I would just do a portion of your primo buds what we call canary bud style just in a vacuum bag.
Try to keep them around 27c to 30c max and over a week they should transform nicely and you will be able to see them change through the bag.
Open and sniff as they change when the aroma gets too much to handle start to do a slow dry.
I think @Hombre del mont takes a few days in his climate, mine is very dry and hot.
You have to find a method to regulate the drying once you can control that your made.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
o make sure I have this correct, to ensure a slow dry - which is what I want, would you recommend opening it every week and then re-sealing?
By slow dry I mean long slow dry you want to stop the fermentation/change its done from the looks of it.
From the aromas it has hit or is near its peak cure wise so now you need to gently dry it, go by touch and feel bend it open and sniff the core.
You will know when its beautiful mark my words.
Then seal it up to age, do monthly inspections, touch, feel and sniff drying again very slow and low.
It will become a balanced aroma and texture. You will know, if what you have is well cured when you try it. Smoked or chewed.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I would just do a portion of your primo buds what we call canary bud style just in a vacuum bag.
Try to keep them around 27c to 30c max and over a week they should transform nicely and you will be able to see them change through the bag.
Open and sniff as they change when the aroma gets too much to handle start to do a slow dry.
I think @Hombre del mont takes a few days in his climate, mine is very dry and hot.
You have to find a method to regulate the drying once you can control that your made.
Tangwena,

So, you would not do the 24 hour sweat at 40c? Or the 27-30c is after the sweat?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I would love to try this but the pics in the original post are gone and the text doesn't really describe it well enough. Without the pics I can't even tell how the cobs are made. I assume there is an update somewhere in the 300 pages and over 6000 posts but, damn, by the time I read all that I'll be dead. LOL

And, it looks like the corn husks were dropped somewhere along the way. Looks like people are just wrapping it in plastic and vacuum sealing it. This tutorial would be great in pdf format.

CDNINCA

I would love to try this but the pics in the original post are gone and the text doesn't really describe it well enough. Without the pics I can't even tell how the cobs are made. I assume there is an update somewhere in the 300 pages and over 6000 posts but, damn, by the time I read all that I'll be dead. LOL

And, it looks like the corn husks were dropped somewhere along the way. Looks like people are just wrapping it in plastic and vacuum sealing it. This tutorial would be great in pdf format.
Here's something that @repuk put together much earlier in this thread that I found helpful. I still need(ed) to ask questions but this will give you the general idea. I'm NO expert on this yet, but you will find that others here who are will be happy to fill in the blanks in your knowledge -they sure have helped me!
Cheers.
P.S. I've used corn husks when they were available but have used Parchment paper since then and it seems to be working.

StickyBandit

I found the only way to really stuff it up is to leave it too damp for too long after the first fermentation process (there may be other ways I haven't discovered yet :p ). I managed to get some mould on a small bud because there was excess moisture in the stalks when vacuum packed and left too long without checking. Don't be afraid to open any time and dry thoroughly over a few days once fermentation has begun but don't cook it!

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena,

So, you would not do the 24 hour sweat at 40c? Or the 27-30c is after the sweat?
Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Looking at your buds nice airy sativa type I would not sweat it for too long.
Maybe 6 hours just to get it started but with those buds even no sweat, just keep it at 30c give or take for a month or so.
It will still ferment just slowly and keep all the fine terps intact.
It will have a different outcome but in my experience a nicer final product.

Tangwena

Veteran
And there is some very nice documentation in the last dozen pages or so from people's more recent experience... I'd suggest looking at Hombre del Monte's recent efforts for some guidance... Always great stuff with nice pics to boot
Yes do a search on Hombre del Montes posts he has a different take on this cure and has had some stella results.
Experimentation is the path to cobbing excellence.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Maybe 6 hours just to get it started but with those buds even no sweat, just keep it at 30c give or take for a month or so.
Thanks. I took 9.5g smaller buds (67% RH) and vacuum sealed with no additional modification. Thrown into sous vide at 40c but set for 29c, so it will cool over the next few hours to the target temp.

Last edited:

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
@Taima-da , @Tangwena, thank you gentlemen for your vote of confidence.

I think I may just be lucky with my results; I just tend to do with what I feel is right at the time.

As an aside: yesterday I took 0.3g of Zamal x Tom Hill haze that was made on the 3rd of December, so just over a month old. So strong, already! Couldn't believe it! It didn't have the legs of a matured cob, but was surprisingly good for one so fresh.
Today is beach day; I think I'll try the Zacateca tribute. 😊

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
@Taima-da , @Tangwena, thank you gentlemen for your vote of confidence.

I think I may just be lucky with my results; I just tend to do with what I feel is right at the time.

As a aside: yesterday I took 0.3g of Zamal x Tom Hill haze that was made on the 3rd of December, so just over a month old. So strong, already! Couldn't believe it! It didn't have the legs of a matured cob, but was surprisingly good for one so fresh.
Today is beach day; I think I'll try the Zacateca tribute. 😊
You can thank our good friend @MadMac for that creation and his generosity that knows no bounds.
There is no luck involved when you do what you think is right at the time its the culmination of all your life experiences that guide your actions.
I was very high on some Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian cob the other day and my neighbor asked me if I had been drinking I was so loud and full of shit ha ha its a real ego tripping high.
It brings me right out of my shell ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Excellent genetics!
I really recommend the Zamal x Tom Hill haze! Very lysergic. It's going to be really special in another few months.

From your flowering recommendation I'm excited to try the Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian but will wait a couple more months yet.

I'm thinking of putting in an order later today for some Durban Punch from tropical seed company. I did a Durban some years ago and it was like a double expresó; the Durban Punch is supposed to very much like that.

A lovely late morning/early afternoon in the beach today; both of us almost tripping out, we're so high!

IMG_20230110_124536.jpg
IMG_20230110_124451.jpg
IMG_20230109_141436.jpg

Thank you @MadMac 🙏 and thank you too sensei. 🙏

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I am harvesting an outdoor plant today and I am going to dedicate it to cob. So, I have a few days to get ready while it dries out a little.

Biggest thing that comes up is how to maintain the temps while sweating and fermenting. I don't really have anything that works. I might simply take a light bulb and a plastic box and make a heat box. I read about the yogurt makers. Are those really the best way? I see them as cheap as 20 bux (with bad reviews). Maybe $40 or $50 for a decent one.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Some pretty amazing cob pics on every page. Looking forward to trying this.

:)

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
I am harvesting an outdoor plant today and I am going to dedicate it to cob. So, I have a few days to get ready while it dries out a little.

Biggest thing that comes up is how to maintain the temps while sweating and fermenting. I don't really have anything that works. I might simply take a light bulb and a plastic box and make a heat box. I read about the yogurt makers. Are those really the best way? I see them as cheap as 20 bux (with bad reviews). Maybe $40 or $50 for a decent one.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Some pretty amazing cob pics on every page. Looking forward to trying this.

Hi @Ringodoggie , a homemade heat box like you suggest would work.

Try not to get too hung up on temperatures; providing you can get the ferment started, then just ambient room temperature is sufficient, just slower.

I use a very cheap dehydrator for the initial sweat, but then I just put them on top of my amplifier and let them do their thing. Sometimes I put them on an alcove above our word burning stove.

CDNINCA

There seem to be plenty of different approaches to this, here's what I do... I have a small "Stick" Sous Vide device that's made by Breville that I use for sweating. It's not inexpensive, but I've had it for a while - I like to cook too, and since I had it I thought I'd give it a try. I know of others here who use dehydrators which have some additional benefit when slowly drying the cob after sweating, along with yogurt makers, so there are a few options.
For the curing phase I have a small heating pad that I put under a cardboard box with a towel inside that I rest the cobs on. I can maintain 22C/ 72F easily using this approach. Your idea of a light bulb should work in a similar way. I keep my house on the cool side here in the winter so I think the box system is the best for me. There are plenty of other options on how to do this it's just the method that I've arrived at.
Others here who have much more experience at this than I do will most likely chime in here with more information. Cheers!

Onboard

I use a heat mat for seedlings, with the thermostat, inside a plastic storage box.

Tangwena

Veteran
Excellent genetics!
I really recommend the Zamal x Tom Hill haze! Very lysergic. It's going to be really special in another few months.

From your flowering recommendation I'm excited to try the Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian but will wait a couple more months yet.

I'm thinking of putting in an order later today for some Durban Punch from tropical seed company. I did a Durban some years ago and it was like a double expresó; the Durban Punch is supposed to very much like that.

A lovely late morning/early afternoon in the beach today; both of us almost tripping out, we're so high!

View attachment 18800382 View attachment 18800383 View attachment 18800384

Thank you @MadMac 🙏 and thank you too sensei. 🙏
Nothing like a day at the beach borderline tripping on cob sounds blissful.
I was beach fishing the other day similarly enhanced when I felt the spirit of the land communicating with me it was ancient I felt blessed.
Then the fish started biting and it was as if I had been given permission to catch them very freaky but beautiful experience at the same time ha ha.
I know its all in my head but what isn't in this life ha ha.
Love to see some cob pics when you have time brother.

Latest posts

Latest posts