What's new

How to hand press keef?

gunnaknow

It depends on how much plant material that it contains. The purer it is the less heat is needed. If it's pure you can wrap it in cellophane and warm your hands on a cup of hot water before working it into gummy hash. You can also put the ball of cellophane wrapped keef in a plastic baggy before submerging under hot water for a couple of minutes and then hand work the cellophane ball into gummy hash. What size (micron) screen did you use?

Last edited:
G

gunnaknow said:
It depends on how much plant material that it contains. The purer it is the less heat is needed. If it's pure you can wrap it in cellophane and warm your hands on a cup of hot water before working it into gummy hash. You can also put the ball of cellophane wrapped keef in a plastic baggy before submerging under hot water for a couple of minutes and then hand work the cellophane ball into gummy hash. What size (micron) screen did you use?

I dont know the size of the screen, I dont have a lot of keef yet but as soon as my grow gets going I will.

But I want to just get a keef box (or pollen sifter) and sift my bud stems, trim, and some bud - then i'll have a bunch of keef.

So it will turn into gummy hash from just the heat from my hands? And this would be considered hash? Is this what bubble is?

gunnaknow

It will turn into gummy hash with a little heat and a few minutes of working it in your hands to break the resin glands. However, like I said, it depends on the purity of the keef. Bubble hash is an ice hash made using bubblebags. It is generally purer than dry sifted hash, with a smoother yet less flavorfull taste.

Last edited:
G

gunnaknow said:
It will turn into gummy hash with a little heat and a few minutes of working it in your hands to break the resin glands. However, like I said, it depends on the purity of the keef. Bubble hash is an ice hash made using bubble bags. It is generally purer than dry sifted hash, with a smoother yet less flavorfull taste.

Awesome

Once you work it with heat and your hands, and it becomes gummy hash, is it gummy hash forever? I mean, will it ever turn back into powder? Or is it a gummy hash rock like ball forever?

gunnaknow

Most commercial dry sifters use a screen with a mesh size that is too large to produce gummy hash. If you want top quality gummy from dry sift then you really want a smaller mesh of around 50-60 microns. You can buy nylon or silk with this size mesh. I'd say no larger than 70 microns if you want gummy and only the kif collected from the first 2-3 minutes of sifting. A double screen system works well.

I recommend using the two screen system. The first screen (135-150 micron pore size) catches any plant material larger than resin glands. The second screen (50-60 micron pore size) is slightly separated from the first, and holds the large resin glands while letting small glands and debris fall through. If done properly, the resin left on top of the bottom screen can be of very high quality.

Gummy hash doesn't ever turn back into kif again. Once the resin glands are broken, they form into a single solid mass and stay that way. It may harden over time as the terpenes evaporate but keeping it wrapped in cellophane will keep it gummy for longer. It can be stored in the fridge or freezer aswel.

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
for useful well-informed hash info check out posts by Mriko, Chamba, and Sam_Skunkman... Smokaholik and others also have some great pics of real hash (i.e. not the imported shite many supposed experts like to base their generalisations on)

in Afghanistan, Pakistan and thereabouts hashish is known as "charas" - it is prepared by sieving through very fine cloth... the unpressed sieved product is known as "garda", which means "dust"

many "charsis" (smokers) prefer to buy their smoke as garda, because that way they can be sure it has not been adulterated with contaminants...

if required, smokers in these regions typically prepare garda for smoking by mixing a lump with a very small amount of water/moisture... in the case of good Tirah garda, it will likely be golden resin heads when bought... lighty moistening your palm with water you can roll the garda in it and watch as it changes to a browner colour on contact with water droplets... the garda holds together now and will hold when hand-pressed ino charas/hashish

Mriko has a good post on how best to prepare this to smoke in a joint - for best taste and strongest high it needs to be heated till it lights... believe me, this is literally how every smoker in these regions does it, without exception... a match will do, to stick a piece of hash on the base (not the lighting tip, obviously)... allow the lump to catch light briefly, blow out, and sprinkle into a bed of tobacco, and mix

if you don't smoke tobacco, see Sam's post on how to smoke charas/hashish in a nargil the Afghan way... three strong lugs in which you allow the hashish to flame up... it is mostly the wax round the trichomes which burns... novices often believe this is just a senseless wasteful tradition... actually it is how to get the most taste and strength out, as experience shows

as Mriko says - "heat is a friend of THC"

yeh - so you can just mix your garda with a little water - a few experimental tries and you will find out how much your variety requires... strains like Mazar-i-Sharif are so resinous that their garda is naturally moist enough and needs little to no water... others produce a drier product which requires water before it can be pressed by hand

cheers,

Ngakpa

Last edited:
B

British_Bulldog

Hi there,

Many times, I have used a silk screen (around 140 micron) to screen some frosty trim (mixed strains), around a couple of grams - hash for the day to add to joints, and then poured the powder into the middle of my left hand, with a cupped palm, then with my right thumb (the bone half-way down, on the inside of the thumb, not the tip of the thumb), pressed hard into the other hand, and closed the left hand around my right thumb.

The trichomes will stick together after around 10-15 seconds of this, then peel the piece of your right thumb, and fold it over and repeat pressing into the left palm.....then heat and pressure will break the trichome heads and bind the hash....continue this until you end up with fully pressed hash, then roll your hands together around the hash to make a hash ball.

E voilà! Hand made hash :D

Last edited:

gunnaknow

ngakpa said:
for useful well-informed hash info check out posts by Mriko, Chamba, and Sam_Skunkman... Smokaholik and others also have some great pics of real hash (i.e. not the imported shite many supposed experts like to base their generalisations on)

I'm presuming that you aren't talking about me. Import hash from asia is often adulterated with oil and or gum, which makes it more squidgy. Authentic, gummy hash is made by hand rubbing or by making ice hash. It can be made by dry sifting aswel but close attention must be paid to the mesh size and the duration of sifting if you want dry sift to produce gummy. Otherwise it tends to produce a dryer, grainier hash, which is still very good. Although when the hash is green because of over sifting or using too large a mesh, I don't like it so much, you really can taste the difference.

Last edited:

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
squidgy and gummy are both slang terms that are not true types of hashish. thats just my opinion. bubble hash, dry sift, jelly hash, charas, etc are all types of hashish that are indeed categories. gummy just describes its consistency... you can make gummy from any reasonably fresh resin with enough oil in it, or as you mention adulterate it.

Dkgrower

Veteran
ngakpa said:

, Pakistan and thereabouts hashish is known as "charas" - it is prepared by sieving through very fine cloth... the unpressed sieved product is known ain Afghanistans "garda", which means "dust"

many "charsis" (smokers) prefer to buy their smoke as garda, because that way they can be sure it has not been adulterated with contaminants...

if required, smokers in these regions typically prepare garda for smoking by mixing a lump with a very small amount of water/moisture... in the case of good Tirah garda, it will likely be golden resin heads when bought... lighty moistening your palm with water you can roll the garda in it and watch as it changes to a browner colour on contact with water droplets... the garda holds together now and will hold when hand-pressed ino charas/hashish

Mriko has a good post on how best to prepare this to smoke in a joint - for best taste and strongest high it needs to be heated till it lights... believe me, this is literally how every smoker in these regions does it, without exception... a match will do, to stick a piece of hash on the base (not the lighting tip, obviously)... allow the lump to catch light briefly, blow out, and sprinkle into a bed of tobacco, and mix

if you don't smoke tobacco, see Sam's post on how to smoke charas/hashish in a nargil the Afghan way... three strong lugs in which you allow the hashish to flame up... it is mostly the wax round the trichomes which burns... novices often believe this is just a senseless wasteful tradition... actually it is how to get the most taste and strength out, as experience shows

as Mriko says - "heat is a friend of THC"

yeh - so you can just mix your garda with a little water - a few experimental tries and you will find out how much your variety requires... strains like Mazar-i-Sharif are so resinous that their garda is naturally moist enough and needs little to no water... others produce a drier product which requires water before it can be pressed by hand

cheers,

Ngakpa

:rant: hash making is not a secret art and why do slander the frendly soul that help´s and give some desent and direkt reply's

Do you not agree on his then post some off your own opion

And when has heat been a friend to THC ? Cold pressing all the way.....

heat I consider could be only used when you are working a with low trichome / high plant matter ratio.

Or if you have dryed your plant material very fast using the sun or some other source of heat and whant the hashish to have a more ductile teksture

C

Chamba

Most commercial dry sifters use a screen with a mesh size that is too large to produce gummy hash. If you want top quality gummy from dry sift then you really want a smaller mesh of around 50-60 microns. You can buy nylon or silk with this size mesh. I'd say no larger than 70 microns if you want gummy and only the kif collected from the first 2-3 minutes of sifting. A double screen system works well.

wrong information..the idea of dry sifting cannabis is to separate the resin heads from the veg matter.....dry resin heads range mostly in size from 110 ~ 50 micron.........so a 50 micron mesh used by itself will only help remove some of the powdered veg matter...it's useless by itself.

for single screen sifting use a 150 ~ 110 micron mesh*

for dual screen sifting use 160 ~ 135 with a finer 135 ~ 105 mesh*...

*depending on the strain

a 50 ~ 70 micron mesh can be used as a third mesh to purify the dry sifted essence...

do a search through in this hash forum for threads relating to "kif", "dry sift" and "screen" etc...and learn a bit as there is lots of good info if you spend a little time and read through it.

personally, I prefer to not press my dry sift...I think it burns cooler, better and lasts longer (as in goes further) if unpressed

but if you want to press it, I do exactly the same as above with the thumb pressure into the palm method...a tiny bit of spit will help if there's too many contaminants in there...

for personal smoking - if you need to use heat or mechanical pressure to form your dry sift into a solid lump of hash then that's nature's way of telling you if you should of stopped kiffing 2 minutes earlier ..lol

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Although when the hash is green because of over sifting or using too large a mesh,

I hate to pick on you again .....but....hash is green because the plant material was not aged for several months

Papulz

Veteran
a large presence of plant matter besides trichomes will also make your hash have a green tint, unless of course your plant matter wasnt green to begin with.

G

This may be a moot point this far but to get hash just like Bubblemans (this is just a guess I don't know him). After getting your super fine kief via mesh or water extraction put the desired amount in the palm of your hand, then grab your lighter (not with the hand full of kief) and hold the flame just close enough that it starts to burn/melt (depends on the stuff you use) SLIGHTLY, I've tried to teach this method to some of my friends and they cook it way to fast and usually burn themselves trying to do it, but I digress, slowly heat the pile until it "congeals" and you can flip it over and roll it up, then toast the outside trying to burn as little as possible. Heat is often thought of as THC's enemy but used correctly it can release some spectacular colours, smells and tastes.

Papulz

Veteran
im going to say that bubbleman almost certainly wouldnt use heat to help bind his pieces, any resin extracted properly via the bubblebag system which would be what he'd likely be using should be pure enough to press without any need for heat. when you come out with 50-70% pure extracts from that system, they readily turn into a clay/putty super oily hashish texture when handpressed if thats whats the end result thats desired. ill humbly attempt to say that bubbleman likely would ask why you want to press it as it changes its flavor.

G

that sounds like a better possibility given Bubblemans love of bubble. That was my guess because of the "clumping" of resin glands in the pics. still a good way to make hash so long as you don't let anything burn