What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shatter won’t shatter !

cookie312

Hello , the issue I’m having is that I put my shatter in the oven and it won’t turn into shatter for some odd reason.

I run a 1lb close loop system for the extract. After I recover my butan I pour it out onto wax paper then I put it in my 1.9AI vacuum oven. I pull a full vac until the muffin is over then I let it sit @ 29.9hg. I’ve tried multiple temps from starting @ 90F and working my way up to 120F and it doesn’t seem to shatter. I am using outdoor nug/shake. I’m looking to get consistent shatter what am I doing wrong ?!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The ONLY times I've actually made "shatter" was using an open blast method and purging over open heat. Every product that I've made using a CL has been high viscosity, thick oils.

cookie312

Most of the product I’ve tried with is from my last outdoor crop. So about 6 months old. I got shatter once and that also was from a outdoor bud I’m just trying to get it consistent.

LostTribe

Premium user
Hello , the issue I’m having is that I put my shatter in the oven and it won’t turn into shatter for some odd reason.

I run a 1lb close loop system for the extract. After I recover my butan I pour it out onto wax paper then I put it in my 1.9AI vacuum oven. I pull a full vac until the muffin is over then I let it sit @ 29.9hg. I’ve tried multiple temps from starting @ 90F and working my way up to 120F and it doesn’t seem to shatter. I am using outdoor nug/shake. I’m looking to get consistent shatter what am I doing wrong ?!

If it don't shatter then It AINT shatter!

Roji

I'd like to propose something.
The act of shattering should not be considered a benchmark for quality in oil.
It is in fact impurities that cause oil to harden to the point it can be shattered.
The closer you get your oil to just consisting of cannabinoids and terpenes the more it will have a sappy or saucy consistency.
The better the oil, the greasier it is.
I get it though... your custies want to buy shatter...

Bobby Boucher

Somebody correct me here.. I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

I also get shatter more often when I purge over open heat/open blast.

Lately I've been getting a little more sappy material out of the closed extractor. That is not to say I haven't gotten super hard shatter using my closed extractor, or without purging over open heat.

If your starting material is fresh/dry enough, I'm starting to think getting a good snap might come from a proper tempering. Getting the oil just hot enough to break its bonds and then allowing it to rest at a standstill to recrystallize.. makes sense to me, in theory anyways.

This might be why were getting shatter from stronger open heat.

Or I'm just way off base here. Haven't gotten round to playing with the idea. I was hoping to just come and ask.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All the fresh material I've blasted in my CL seems to crystalise over time.
I'm fairly new (2 seasons) to using the CL so my experience is fairly limited.

My finished product is a result of my process as well.
IDK how other go about running their CL but I use dry ice in an alcohol bath and freeze my material previous to starting the run with chilled R600-a (iso-butane).
I'm pretty sure I'm leaving behind a lot of the waxes due to it being frozen and bound within the starting material. And if the waxes & impurities are what causes the hardening, I'm happy to be consuming a more oily product.

Sunshineinabag

Maybe because it wasn't made 100% perfectly?

Read this and see if this helps.:tiphat:

WINTERIZING & POLISHING BHO EXTRACTS USING ETHANOL

I always cringe when I see a beautiful plant being torn apart by tanes or other compounds like butane.......I reall y don't think it's advisable in any market nowadays to run BHO especially with the rosin press tech that's come full circle! Why take the risk of the product not being up to snuff when it's got butane in the extraction process .....
Just my two cents that don't mean a Fucken thing in the grand scheme of things I'm sure.

Bobby Boucher

That’s just silly.

Butane extractions create a more flavorful and aromatic product.

The difference is nominal, but it’s there. Smarter, easier, and safer working with a rosin press, but bho takes the cake as far as retaining terpenes in your end product goes.

Shablagoo.

cookie312

yes sir we are on the same page

It is in fact impurities that cause oil to harden to the point it can be shattered.
The closer you get your oil to just consisting of cannabinoids and terpenes the more it will have a sappy or saucy consistency.

PDX Dopesmoker

Shatter gets shattery because of a lack of contaminants. THCA is pretty solid at room temperature. Mixing THCA with solvents or contaminants are two ways to prevent it from solidifying at room temp.

Sunshineinabag

That’s just silly.

Butane extractions create a more flavorful and aromatic product.

The difference is nominal, but it’s there. Smarter, easier, and safer working with a rosin press, but bho takes the cake as far as retaining terpenes in your end product goes.

Shablagoo.

COPD from smoking butane made material is silly!

Bobby Boucher

Kinda irresponsible fear mongering, no?

I’m glad that you are concerned for the well being of others, but no one is getting copd from properly purged dab, and if they do, it’s from the hot vapor and soot in their lungs, not the 500 ppm of butane.

You were correct in your original estimated value of those two cents.

:tiphat: