Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > Exactly WHICH terpenes are colorless, odorless and tasteless?

Thread Title Search
Exactly WHICH terpenes are colorless, odorless and tasteless? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2019, 03:23 AM #11
slant.i

slant.i has a spectacular aura aboutslant.i has a spectacular aura aboutslant.i has a spectacular aura about
hydrocarbon crash course

alkenes & alkynes crash course

aromatics and cyclics

Some videos I found helpful in trying to understand all of this. I'm really glad I saw this debate because I realized I didn't even really know what a terpene was.
slant.i is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:44 PM #12
Gray Wolf
A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.

Gray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by slant.i View Post
hydrocarbon crash course

alkenes & alkynes crash course

aromatics and cyclics

Some videos I found helpful in trying to understand all of this. I'm really glad I saw this debate because I realized I didn't even really know what a terpene was.
Thanks brother! Good crash course.

A mnemonic trick I use for remembering the groups and first four Alkanes, is "Mary Eats Peanut Butter." The rest follow the Greek alphabet. IE: Pent, Hex, Hept, Oct, etc....................

Mary/Methane/methyl, Eats/Ethane/ethyl, Peanut/Propane/Pentyl, Butter/Butane/Butyl.

For ya'll just starting out, or like myself took organic chemistry around the middle of the previous century, the book "Organic Chemistry for Dummies" is a good summary.

Especially those of ya'll that don't ponder and memorize as fast as the professor talks and don't feel confident passing a test after watching it once or twice.

Available as quick reference if you need to go back and check something later.

You can always order it on line, or pick it up from the local book store as a "birthday gift for a friend" and then hide it a book dust cover from another more impressive title that glazes folks eyes over, if you have an image to protect.

Another book more directly related to plant Alkanes, Alkenes, and Alkynes, is "Essential Oil Safety", by Tisserand, and Young.

It provides a good overview of where the plant terpenes and terpenoids come from, as well as attendant safety concerns as of the Second editions printing of 2014.

Believing is seeing and ignorance is bliss until it bites you in the ass!

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

Wise men learn more from fools, than fools from wise men.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.
Gray Wolf is online now Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 PM #13
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant future
Ditto on that thanks... nice links.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM #14
cbcool

cbcool is a jewel in the roughcbcool is a jewel in the roughcbcool is a jewel in the roughcbcool is a jewel in the roughcbcool is a jewel in the roughcbcool is a jewel in the rough
@OP

Triethyl citrate is a food grade flavorless/odorless terpene based dilutent.
cbcool is offline Quote

Old 04-30-2019, 10:11 PM #15
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant future
Thanks

Old 05-01-2019, 02:03 PM #16
Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeGray Wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcool View Post
@OP

Triethyl citrate is a food grade flavorless/odorless terpene based dilutent.

C12H20O7 Triethyl citrate is actually an ester of C6H8O7 citric acid as opposed to a terpene.

Fervor is the weapon of the impotent. The harder the sell, the poorer the product.

Alas, my ignorance abounds; the more I've learned, the less I know that I know..........

Thou shalt seek and respect the opinions of operators, even unto the third helper, for theirs is a wisdom unknown to technicrats.

In my dotage I finally discovered that the secret to putting on pants both legs at a time is sitting down.

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 05-01-2019 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 PM #17
Ringodoggie

Thanks for the clarification, GW.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM #18
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
are all terpenes equal in regards to how they effect the human body including when applied with heat and drawn into the lungs?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...14750016300439

Chemical and biological studies of β-carotene after exposure to Cannabis sativa smoke

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

Old 05-01-2019, 07:29 PM #19
Ringodoggie

I totally have this problem with all dilutants. Eating something is way different than smoking or vaping it. And, so little testing has been done.

It makes me wonder if nature really ever intended us to smoke pot. The Bible speaks of topicals using it and there are many events in ancient history indicating edibles made with cannabis but has there ever been evidence that man smoked pot in ancient times? I wonder.

Smoking just about anything involves a ton of carbon going into your lungs. Can't see any real good in that. Nature doesn't usually direct us to stuff like that.

I have stopped using carts altogether until this all gets hashed out. I mostly vape rosin or flower and now that it's Spring, I enjoy sitting outside and smoking an occasional joint. Albeit, my lungs just won't take smoking of any kind any more. LOL Fucking hate old age. LOL

Interesting article on carotene. I am a big consumer of carotene since I am always starving for A and D. I live in a cave and D is hard to come by. Can never get enough A. Eggs almost every day. Just bought a jar of fish oil. Plan to try that for the first time.

Thanks again for all the input, gang.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 PM #20
Gray Wolf

Clearly all terpenes are not equal when eaten, used in suppositories, rubbed on the skin, or inhaled.

Terpenes also break down and readily change form around 710F, and some of the biproducts are known carcinogens.

The effects burning the terpenes in the concentrations seen in plant material and vaporizing those terpenes in concentration are also different, as the poison is always in the dosage and some of the terpenes will strip paint and sanitize toilet bowls in concentration.

The truth is that there haven't been studies conducted beyond the concentrations used in aroma therapy, and many of the terpenes don't even have MSDS sheets because they have been considered, herbs, spices, and misc flavors.

I told myself that I would quit smoking cannabis when I needed glasses or went crazy, which in my case came in the form of mild COPD, so I switched to dabbing and I'm convinced that making the decision to smoke cannabis, is making the personal decision to at least expose yourself to COPD.

Based on my COPD improving some and not getting worse, I've come to believe using pure unadulterated concentrates with a temperature controlled electric nail is a better option.

Some of the concentrates samples that people give me have terpenes added back or terpenes added, which I would prefer as an adulterant as opposed to dilutants, if some care is given to what those terpenes are, and their content is kept close to the levels normally encountered in plant material.

Terpenes have their own medicinal effects, as well as adding flavor and aroma, but none of the terpenes that add flavor and aroma are particularly smooth to vaporize, so over doing it adds aroma, but at the expense of harshness.

I suspect that time will show that vaporizing and inhaling VG, PG, PEG, MCT, squalane, triethyl citrate, et all, brings with a whole different set of health issues long term.

Pages back GRAS was mentioned, but GRAS is heavily influenced by usage.

For instance, the mineral oil that started this debate is GRAS in food stuff below 5 ppm as a release agent, and you will find Sulfuric Acid on that same list.

I think we can all agree that inhaling either is insalubrious, so its GRAS status is moot.

What is needed, is long term studies in the usage at hand, which we ostensibly won't have for some time.

Last edited by Gray Wolf; 05-01-2019 at 10:58 PM..