What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butane honey oil for dummies

Keefhead

OK, back to the subject, or close to it anyway.

I don't have much of any oil pictures to add, but I thought my oil rig might interest some. Basically a bottomless drawer shell, a copper pipe (now changed to pyrex) and a glass below it. Holds itself, and doesn't cost much if anything. Ghetto rigging. Until I can afford the OKief tube anyway.

Notes: It's sitting outside on a planter box. Safety first. Also, the can is just sitting on the top for the picture. Its empty, and some of the butane has begun to evaporate.

I then move the beaker to a pan of warm water. I've found a better way here on IC now, and I've got to try it, using teflon bags and a vacuum.

Do I about got it right chief?

Question..,when I make bubblehash there are some grades I don't like to smoke. Has anybody ever used grades like 120 or 160 to make BHO? Seems to me that it would produce some very clean oil. Just a notion, I don't have the hash to try it, but it just seemed like such a good idea.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
That'll work keef, nice ingenuity. I have yet to try the bags but in theory it makes sense and foaf's pics prove it. I do believe you don't have to absolutely use a vacuum to purge it but it is a nice touch. I agree about the 120 and 160 but for it to work in butane extraction it would have to be an absolute powder and it would also be best to layer it in the leaf material.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Nice thread Chiefsmokingbud :wave:

I love smoking BHO....the tools (and the process) looks expensive.....bubble bags seem easier and cheaper (to me a novice...I know absolutely NOTHING outside of making QWISO)...but when I get more advanced and more $$...I think I'll give this a shot....

And refer back to this someday...hopefully

Again...thanks for all the hard work as this tutorial is extremely informative....and factual....

I wish I had some BHO right now :joint: Seeing as how dispensaries (in my area in Cali) charge $80 and up per gram (more than they charge for bubble...cause it's better :smoke: )...may be a while before I have any again :D The shit is better than bubble (and I love bubble)....IMO....good BHO is something special

Peace

-VT-

Keefhead

-VT- I just had to jump in here. Chief and others, correct me where I erred.

BHO is really cheap to make. See my picture up above, but substitute a stainless turkey baster for the copper tube (very bad) and clamp it in place somehow. I used glass, but I broke two of them. It's the bags that are expensive. Many hundreds. Turkey baster and thermal glove $20. That, a pyrex dish, and a razor blade and you're ready. Oh, a hose clamp, a piece of fine screen, and a wad of cotton, for the end of the tube where the bulb was. Heck, I think QWISO is harder, but that's just me. I like my BHO.

I like bubble too, but it's a lot more expensive, and for some of us (arthritis) bubble is more difficult. Holding the bags when we lift them, etc. But I still make bubble too. I like it, and it has its place. In fact, my favorite hit is to FILL a bowl with good bubble, then put a piece of good hard BHO on top of it, and take it all down. Hits ya like a diesel train. And with good stuff, hardly a cough. Well, a little maybe. Awright, a lot sometimes.

Yeah Chief, I just wish I could buy just two of those teflon bags, and not 10 like they come in. But I gotta try it. I got a buddy who did it with a bag he got from the hospital, and it worked really well. He even borrowed a big glass jar (there's a fancy name for it - I forget) and we vacuum purged it with my veneer pump. It never got rock hard, but it was a nice solid piece after we crushed it and warmed it to melt it together. I'm now shopping for the parts to rig something together.

Question Chief. You suggested layering the hash with leaf material. Not questioning your way, but what is the reason for that? Better flow? Just wondering. And might I also use something like screens or something else? Man! Always the hacker, always trying to find a better way. Somebody kick me.

G

you can buy bags individually on one of the ice hash sites not sure if its Bmans or some other place, saw them a few months ago. look for "replacement" bags

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Thx Keefhead :wave:

I think I may order that O'Kief tube....

I suppose I'd get the "extractor 1"...

Looks like the "extractor 2"...is just two "extractor 1's" mounted together...but one would still have to inject the butane into each...correct? If that's the case I don't see the advantage of the extractor 2....heck it's only $45 usd (extractor 1)....and with accesories and shipping under $75....anyways the "extractor 1" can purportedly handle 22g of plant material ..........so that would work for me

So once I order the tube(s), metal screens, all I need is a pyrex dish...correct? (I'll do the "scrape" method.....)

The bubblebag kits cost way more...was gonna get the 3 bag bubble kit but so many advised that I get the 7 bag.....that's too much $$ right now

Chiefsmokingbud:

How do you "pop" the bubbles? Dumb question...but just take a pin and pop em all one by one? That looks to be the most tedious step in the "scrape method" process

I see they give medical discounts at the O'Kief site also....I'm wondering how I'd prove this..and protect my identity...kinda sketchy on that...I'll pass on the 15% discount (although that is cool they offer that)

Peace

-VT-

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Keefhead if you dump a bunch of powder in there at once it will pack down. Keep in mind in the 120 and 160 there is probably a good amount of stalks too. Stalks donot disolve bt tane. In fact after i do a run and get ready to empty the tube, i can remove the screen, look inside and see a considerable amount of powder resembling kief. Under magnification it is nothing but stalks.
VT- the reason for more than one tube on a rig is so you can do more material at once instead of stopping halfway through a run and having to load another tube. Just a little less time involved.
A pyrex dish and rasor blades you would need. Another good piece of equipment to have is a dental pick which can be used to handle a the oil and to pop the bubbles. I've never found popping bubbles to be tedious and you can use a pin, paperclip, etc. You can also use a paint scraper for the scrape JYI.
Dank1, one thing i don't understand is why a replacement bag is $50, multiply that by 7 and it doesn't add up -Chief

G

yea but it saves about a hundered and twenty dollars if you only buy two.

Why are you going to pay 45usd for an extractor you can make your own for 10. all you have to do is go to lowes go to the fitting section and find a pipe itting that has two ends both with threads, then mix and match some end caps, drill(or use a knife) a hole into the top to put your butane in, and three to five holes on the bottom, use masking tape to lock the threads so there is no leaks, put your "product" in and start spraying the butane into the extractor, hold it over the pyrex pan and catch the butane/hash oil mixture, let the butane evapotate and scrape off the tar, there are other ways to do it to get hard oil but this is the easiest for a BHO beginner. Be safe and remember NO SMOKING WHILE EXTRACTING.

I also meant to say that the easiest way I've found to pop the bubbles is with my lighter after all the liquid butane has evaporated, and after you scrape the goo you will notice what looks like water it is, get a napkin and touch it to the water and the surface tension will pull it off the hash and into the napkin.

Last edited:

Keefhead

Good point Chief. I just don't like the idea of putting pot in the tube where just clean hash is, but I guess its the best way. Maybe just mix the hash with the pot?

Dank1 - I get the feeling were talking about two different bags here - the bubblebags and the teflon bags for BHO. The teflon bags are 10 for $28.00. I guess I'll be ordering some, though I only need 1-2.

Also, although you could make oil that way, you'll get a better, and healthier, oil if you use glass or stainless. Galvanized and copper are known to be harmful.

Also, my experience is that using a lighter to pop the bubbles darkens the oil. Comments Chief? I use a pin - it's kinda fun. Pop, pop, pop. :crazy:

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures. The first one is simply of my "hash" desk. I'm looking at some "dark" oil. The desk is not normally this cluttered. :bat:

The next one is of some of my oil. It was lit from the back, shot through the microscope, and in it you can see some contaminants that got in there through the filter. Oops.

That having been posted, it's time for a bowl of bubblehash with a bit of BHO on top of it. Yummmm :yummy:

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
dont use a lighter, just lightly raze the bubbles with a butane torch flame on low, if you dont cover the dish and purge on the stove double boiler style like i do,where all the bubbles just pop anyway after a few minutes.

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
I'm scared to make my own cause of what Chiefsmokingbud said about the butane leaching stuff from the metal and having metal extracted....but he did mention the Stainless Steel Turkey Baster being "OK"....I don't see how I'd get a hole perfect for the butane ... Ok....look... I use butane (cheap stuff) for refilling lighters...and the "nozzle" has a lil' groove in it...it has to fit perfectly around the "nipple" of the lighter....otherwise the shit goes everywhere (and it's cold as hell and gets everywhere!) anyways I don't see how you can inject safely unless you have that hole sized just right (forgive my ignorance here) I wish someone had a DIY on the tube with some decent pics....or maybe there is one...so spending $45 sounds safer and easier

So if I purge with the Pyrex on top of boiling (Chiefsmokingbud did say it should NOT boil I thought?)...anyways that's how I do QWISO....so I do the same thing and the bubbles just pop on their own?

Anyways thx for all the posts and replies guys :wave:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
It's been so long since i used a baster that i can't remember the hole size of the end of it and don't remember if it has to be crimped down a bit to make the hole smaller. I do know the nozzle on butane cans is .106 in diameter (1/8" is .125). I make the injection holes on mine .108 dia and it fits every butane can i've seen.

Most my bubbles pop during purging and about 4-5 larger ones are left so i just pop with the pick.

G

you can llways use a King Butane tip fitting if you use king and you drill too big of a hole, I just used a knife to make my holes just worked it until I could see that it was going through, Its really easy to make your own(you need McGyver skills) just dont put it togather before you leave Lowes because it looks like a pipe bo*b. I dont reccomend metal anything to do with weed, I have never used metal extractor but it doesnt sound good, think about smoking from a metal pipe, ya know what I mean?

Cheifsmokinbud- oops man I thought you were talking about individual bubble bags

Hahsmastakut- What is the difference between a lighter and a torch besides the heat levels? He's going to vapo allot of goodness with a torch, I just think it's a little excessive, if I can pop them with a regular lighter does he really need a torch?

jimbob420

In my opinion bubble hash was just another step in the road to discovering the best hash....bho. Just look at the both of them under a microscope and u will really see the difference.

Hashmasta- I used to get three grams a o but that was way back when and I havent weighed anything in over a year so it might be more. Also I dry my shit to till it is flaky and not oily as you probably have already seen so I would assume it would be a bit lighter. Question-- How do u fill your tubes? My material is ground up not whole bud, and I never pack it down but a very little bit.

keefhead- I use unbleached coffee filters and you get like 500 for 4 bucks, and zip ties(I know i probly shouldnt)

Bubbleboy- yea u might get 3 to 4 grams but like u just said only half of it is in anyway comparable to bho which you can get like 3 to 6 grams of in one run. I still have a hard time believing that you can get 4 grams in total dry weight from an OZ run through the bags...I have tried many times and wasted lots of shit that could have been vaped. If you are getting those kinds of returns then you are using some frosty ass shit. I will agree that bho can be dangerous but only if you do something dumb. UTFS- USER TO FUKIN STUPID. Yea if you take a lighter to a dish of evaporating butane...it will light on fire, if you do it in a small room the rapidly expanding gasses will cause an explosion. The moral of the story is...do your extractions outside and don't throw matches or flames at the extraction dish.

edit: listen to hmk, the easiest way to get rid of the bubbles is to just put the dish in some hot water...I just use hot ass tap water sitting in the sink with the drain plugged...I just change it about 3 times then scrape everything even if there is bubbles in there into a smaller dish and keep using the hot water in the sink and more and more bubbles will rise out so just keep stiring and heating...if you want oil stop eariler that later, if you want paste then just keep doing it until it is hard stir and leave out overnight. just my 2 cents

Last edited:

bubbleman

Veteran
well i saw the microscope and couldnt resist. I was lucky enough to have a keyene vhx 500 demo'd to me just yesterday and managed to snap a few shots. The micrscope can take better shots than these, but i was kinda doing this on the down low, ie the guy had no idea what were were photographing lol.
anyway my opinion is this, butane oil is easier to make a nice product from shitty material, but when you have the best material possible, the bags will give you just as nice a return and product. I have produced near 70% THC, using just the bags. and my confirmation on that, was from the skunkman himself.
Just my two cents.

peace
bubble man

ps, hey jimbob ya got any micrscope shots of that bho? may as well add em up.

bubbleman

Veteran
yeah chief, your right on both accounts, the thing is a boatload and a half, at 45k base model, you can buy all sorts of other attachments. But with a magnification of 20x to 5000x , there's not much this thing can't do.

Peace
bubble man

ps, keep in mind these photos were taken by the gentlemen from the company and he didnt realy know what he was looking for. What blew me away was the ability this unit had to completely control the background and foreground blurr factor. The unit could be handheld or stay in the base that is another 3k extra.

jimbob420

no magnified photos here(I friggin wish I could have access to a machine like that)just looking at the stuff through a small table top microscope and am totally amazed. I completely agree that the best bubble is great stuff and is probably just as pure as bho but it is more than likely made with material that is not what the average person gets or even what the better than average smoker usually has on hand. One day we will just have to have a bho vs bubble throwdown and that way we can make sure everyone is blasted to the moon :)