What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana ‘hash oil' explosions on rise

Thomas Paine

Veteran
Suspected Hash Oil Explosion Severely Burns Santa Cruz Man
October 10th, 2013

SANTA CRUZ (CBS SF) — A man was severely burned during an explosion that occurred while manufacturing butane hash oil in a residence in Santa Cruz on Wednesday afternoon, police and fire officials said.

About 1:24 p.m. on Wednesday fire officials responded to a report of an explosion in the 100 block of Walk Circle, near Delaware Avenue.

Witnesses reported the explosion and told police they saw a badly burned male occupant drive away from the home shortly thereafter, police said.

Upon arrival, firefighters found light smoke coming from the residence and the front windows blown out.

Fire crews turned off all electricity and gas to the building before making entry.

According to fire officials, there was no fire inside the building, but remnants of a large explosion were evident.

Signs of intense heat were found in the bathroom. Damage to walls, doors and windows were also evident, fire officials said.

The building was not occupied when firefighters arrived on scene.

According to fire officials, a 29-year-old male occupant of the residence had already left the scene and was headed to Dominican Hospital with his girlfriend prior to the arrival of firefighters.

The occupant had sustained significant burns and was flown to a Bay Area trauma center for medical treatment, fire officials said.

Two dogs with severe burns from the explosion were removed from the property, police said.

The cause of the explosion was determined to be a result of the use of butane while manufacturing hash oil inside the bathroom of the residence, according to fire officials.

Police found a large quantity of marijuana and dozens of butane canisters in the bathroom.

Santa Cruz police were continuing to investigate the explosion.

According to the Santa Cruz Police Department, this explosion was the second caused by butane hash oil production in Santa Cruz in the last 10 days.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...-oil-explosion-severely-burns-santa-cruz-man/

Poor dogs, hope they are ok!

I cant believe people are still blowing shit up making bho, darwin works in mysterious ways.

A

AlterEgo860

I hope the guy dies.. poor fucking dogs.. put them outside wen ur doing dangerous shit jesus .. that's fucked he should be charged with EVERY POSSIBLE CHARGE JAIL FOR LIFE!

toppin

Veteran
@AlterEgo860 wow JAIL OF LIFE for stupidly/accidentally blowing up himself, his bathroom and his dog's ha ha bit over the top dont you think.

But on the other hand why is his dog's in the bathroom room whilst making BHO, matter of fact why his he even making it in the bathroom anyway.

Never made BHO but even i know that flammable gases/liquids in confind spaces dont mix

supermanlives

Veteran
theres been a shitload of explosions from butane here in cali. I knew it was gonna happen from the minute I first tried it. way back at cw an og days. told everyone so too. latest was in a motel. prob had carpeting an static electricity from carpet or they were just dumbasses. I did mine outside ,now I don't bother with tane. alcohol only

LilMan72003

been a couple bho lab explosions in santa cruz as of late, one of which imparted serious burn damage upon a close acquaintance. sad stuff, stoners not taking the necessary, proper precautions.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
been a couple bho lab explosions in santa cruz as of late, one of which imparted serious burn damage upon a close acquaintance. sad stuff, stoners not taking the necessary, proper precautions.

lab and bathrooms aren't the same thing.

My bet is ZERO lab explosions quite a few donkeys in their kitchen or bathroom blown up.

:joint:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I no longer have any sympathy for dumbasses (about 99% of people) who insist on making BHO even though they have no fucking clue about any of the most BASIC lab safety procedures. I will never buy BHO. I disown friends who use it and/or think it's cool. I will also physically harm anyone who I find out is actively making it in his house. Someone has to take on this role, because innocent family members, neighbors, and dogs are being harmed or killed because of these idiots.

Everyone PLEASE stop with the BHO. PLEASE!!!!! You think you know what you are doing, but that's only because you have been lucky all this time. Unless you *actually* know what you are doing, like someone of Gray Wolf's caliber, then you really need to STOP making bho, for the love of all that is good, just STOP PLEASE!!!!!!

Jeezuschrist!!!!!

Using ethanol or isopropanol is MUCH safer if you absolutely have to use hydrocarbons, but chances are the asshole idiots who insist upon making BHO will find a way to kill themselves and others using those solvents too, so actually, just start making dry sift and water-extracted hash.

Dangers to society, dangers to our communities, and dangers to the reputation of our favorite plant.

182054.jpg

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I no longer have any sympathy for dumbasses (about 99% of people) who insist on making BHO even though they have no fucking clue about any of the most BASIC lab safety procedures. I will never buy BHO. I disown friends who use it and/or think it's cool. I will also physically harm anyone who I find out is actively making it in his house. Someone has to take on this role, because innocent family members, neighbors, and dogs are being harmed or killed because of these idiots.

Everyone PLEASE stop with the BHO. PLEASE!!!!! You think you know what you are doing, but that's only because you have been lucky all this time. Unless you *actually* know what you are doing, like someone of Gray Wolf's caliber, then you really need to STOP making bho, for the love of all that is good, just STOP PLEASE!!!!!!

Jeezuschrist!!!!!

Using ethanol or isopropanol is MUCH safer if you absolutely have to use hydrocarbons, but chances are the asshole idiots who insist upon making BHO will find a way to kill themselves and others using those solvents too, so actually, just start making dry sift and water-extracted hash.

Dangers to society, dangers to our communities, and dangers to the reputation of our favorite plant.

Gray Wolf, Gray Wolf, Gray Wolf.

If you don't know what this means you don't know shit about BHO.

supermanlives

Veteran
bho is ttally safe if done right. no sparks,pilot flames, carpeting ect and good ventilation airflow. I did many cases worth of butane without any issues ever. but I did it sober and carefully without a crowd of friends

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ So you used a drop vent? I'm just saying, not having an accident is not the same thing as it being totally safe. Also, lack of carpet does not guarantee lack of static electricity.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Gray Wolf, Gray Wolf, Gray Wolf.

If you don't know what this means you don't know shit about BHO.

^^^^^For Sure^^^^^

Hush:
I will never buy BHO. I disown friends who use it and/or think it's cool.I will also physically harm anyone who I find out is actively making it in his house. Someone has to take on this role, because innocent family members, neighbors, and dogs are being harmed....

Hush,

Are you some BHO crusader, searching for hash making offenders?
You sound like an anti drug christian bent on stopping the drug use from the Reagan era. I think you need to take a dab and chill out, you sound like an extremist saying crap like that. Same goes for the alterego wishing death upon this dude. damn, I think Ill crawl back into my forum hole and post where its safe. I pray for the safety and health of this situation and all persons and animals involved are safe and free. May the oppression of this plant be halted so that it may be exalted.

In Truth and Right, swaddled with Love and Light.

Father Earth

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Really? How many explosions have to occur before it becomes okay to say the things I'm saying?

Your impression of me is funny, to say the least. Christian? Lol. Because I basically said the BHO craze is harming people and dogs? I'm good on dabs at the moment. I have my qwiso taking care of that. I know what I'm doing, and I still know not to mess with butane because I don't have the proper facilities. I majored in organic chemistry on my first run through college, and have synthesized things that people pay lots of money for, all for myself. I actually know what I'm doing...

...And yet, I still choose not to run BHO because I don't have access to a proper facility, and I know enough not to ever try doing it at home. Outside is one thing, if you live on a farm and your nearest neighbor is safely outside of the potential blast zone. But I'm smart enough to know not to mess with butane outside of a lab. Yes there are ways of being able to reduce the risks substantially, but the risks are still there. Even professionals are still operating under risks, and the facilities they work in are designed to properly "react" to the accident. I remember reading a post by Gray Wolf somewhere out there about how they designed their lab to blow the roof out so that the walls wouldn't, if I remember correctly. The point is, these risks are real, and to pretend they can't or won't happen is irresponsible.

You can call it a crusade if you want. I am just sick and tired of people blowing their neighbors and their dogs up. My crusade is against idiots, not BHO. It's just that, unfortunately, the idiots found out about the stuff.

Last edited:

BigBudBill

I will also physically harm anyone who I find out is actively making it in his house. Someone has to take on this role, because innocent family members, neighbors, and dogs are being harmed or killed because of these idiots.
I see, because some people are irresponsible, we should just ban it from all. Like alcohol, guns, hard drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc.. we have heard your words spoken by many people who would rip freedom and liberty away by force and/or threat of violence all in the name of protection of the innocents....SMH and :asskick:

ElRubio

Veteran
This shit is happening everywhere. A couple of months back:

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/09/16/inenglish/1379352276_118470.html?rel=rosEP

The problem is not making BHO. The main issue is the disinformation of the whole process imho. Just take care, purge very well and enjoy dabbing. If not, just enjoy with your ice or dry hash, but please, stop charge the ppl who like it or need it.

Thanks for reading, and all the best for the injured ones.
Rubi

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I see, because some people are irresponsible, we should just ban it from all. Like alcohol, guns, hard drugs, gambling, prostitution, etc.. we have heard your words spoken by many people who would rip freedom and liberty away by force and/or threat of violence all in the name of protection of the innocents....SMH and :asskick:

Except for the fact that you apparently didn't understand a word I said. Never said anything about "banning" it, although I can assure you that if you keep turning a blind eye to the meth heads that are blowing themselves up making it, it will absolutely be demonized to the worst degree. Are you someone who shouldn't be making it? Have I touched a nerve or something?

My stance has to do with nothing BUT keeping cannabis on the road to legalization. The rest of you ass clowns who want to equate this to gun rights or whatever other libertarian crap are the enemies of the plant, in my opinion.

Maybe I should reiterate here: BHO should not be made by idiots. That is 99% of people, so statistically I am talking to you. BHO itself is not bad. If you don't have a lab, make an extract with another solvent. Butane is not for children who think they can do whatever they want with reckless regard for their neighbors and pets. Butane should be used by qualified people with qualified equipment and facilities.

But if you want to equate cannabis concentrates to bomb-making in the eyes of society, then yes, continue turning a blind eye to explosions, and keep shutting up the guy who has the balls to point out what's happening.