What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trimming my crop with the Twister Trimming Machine

mojoman

Lol i said good tool not bad tool. got one in 2009. im thinking about setting up a 15 lather :) where people work year round.

ahhhh....damned internet...ya kin sometimes read stuff different then it was intended.... my apologies...15 would need a conveyer system no????

damn...thats a lot of product to keep up with them...would love to see this monster in action...;))

mojo

R

Red Berry

ahhhh....damned internet...ya kin sometimes read stuff different then it was intended.... my apologies...15 would need a conveyer system no????

damn...thats a lot of product to keep up with them...would love to see this monster in action...;))

mojo

i dunno about a conveyor system seems like the trichs would fuck it up fast. its nice to keep the work from each machine and person separate so you can see if its the machine the product or the person that messed up when things go wrong .

weedman1101

I had a twister a few years ago and then i switched to centurion after my buddy bought one, they had some video that showed a twister against a centurion and it killed the twister haha and i have such a big show so i needed it to do more work. its wicked and same as twister, great cut.. just works faster.

I bought a twister about 1 year ago and used it for 3 harvests since. Generally, I am quiet satisfied with its performance. Nonetheless, when talking about how much faster one is using the twister, it should be clarified, that a lot of work still needs to be done the same way if one is handtrimming, like removing the buds from the stem and cleaning the dry product from small leaves or stems that the twister and the growers eyes missed. A work not to underestimate regarding effort, especially when you have many pounds to harvest. So when you ad up all the hours of any task you had to do until you have the nice clean product ready to be packed, its a different picture than the "replaces 10 people"- phrases you get to read. A fair estimation in my opinion is 3-4 times faster than handtrimming, in a calculation that considers every task that needs to be done. For sure, if you just calculate the time to send the product trough the barrel, you are 10 times faster than handtrimming, but the flowers do not get off the stem by themself....

And handtrimming is undoubtly cleaner than a twister, because if you have nugget with a leaf underneath the widest part of the nugget, this leaf will be missed by the twister because the twister cant reach there, which means you will check trough pounds for hours finding and removing those missed flowers and stems when the product is dry before you can pack it. Unless your customers buy everything.

I made a screenshot from this video (@7:43) to exemplify what I mean:

[URL=http://www.directupload.net]
[IMG]http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160714/2srlstz4.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

Another downside is the fact, that very small flowers will be sucked trough the slots of the barrel. So you can either forgo the smallest floers (pea size), or seperate them and hand trim them later. Again, if you're harvesting a certain amount, even small flowers can amount to a remarkable value that you don't want to give up. I really wish there was a second barrell for with smaller slots for that purpose, which would make a lot of sense.

Maybe somebody else here already developed an efficient method to deal with the small flowers of the size of pea....

I had the idea to just dry the small flowers and than rub over something like that... Maybe I will give it a try...

digging

Has anyone dry trimmed with either a twister or centurion ?

Did you prefer dry trimming with either machine, or is it a waste of time trimming dry with these type of machines ?

theJointedOne

Veteran
I fkin hate the twister. Some bullshit.

Trim scenes with good, honest, fun people are a billion times better than this shit.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

t4 is slow compared too a t2 and clogs 5 times faster , needs a lot more cleaning . good for small scale ops .
t2 is bloody loud to use , trims 3 times more in same time , quicker to clean and less cleaning

was an interesting clip on twisters and outside testing , amount of resin lost is bugger all . if you need a large trimmer and can,t wait 6 mths for your gear to be hand trimmed its the tool for the job , i rekon.

though i have no experience with dry trimmers , just putting that out there

t4 is slow compared too a t2 and clogs 5 times faster , needs a lot more cleaning . good for small scale ops .
t2 is bloody loud to use , trims 3 times more in same time , quicker to clean and less cleaning

was an interesting clip on twisters and outside testing , amount of resin lost is bugger all . if you need a large trimmer and can,t wait 6 mths for your gear to be hand trimmed its the tool for the job , i rekon.

though i have no experience with dry trimmers , just putting that out there
Cut the vacuum grates out of the t4.Never have to shut it off again. I know the machines inside out they are made just down the street from me.They have to put them in for liability.

tech1234

Cut the vacuum grates out of the t4.Never have to shut it off again. I know the machines inside out they are made just down the street from me.They have to put them in for liability.

Well you seem like the guy to ask some "tuning" questions to...

I've been experimenting with a few things and want your opinion

1. Does how cold the water is that I'm spraying on the tumbler really matter?
2. I'm lubing with 100% hemp oil... Is this the best?
3. What tolerence do you run on your blade gap?

Well you seem like the guy to ask some "tuning" questions to...

I've been experimenting with a few things and want your opinion

1. Does how cold the water is that I'm spraying on the tumbler really matter?
2. I'm lubing with 100% hemp oil... Is this the best?
3. What tolerence do you run on your blade gap?
1.Cold is best pre spray your product lightly to keep it fresh and crisp while waiting to run through.
2. I don't lube, I mist the tumble barrel once every few minutes. The cut is cleaner. Any oil will darken your end product.
3.Are you asking for the main blade to barrel gap or the main blade to sharpener gap?

tech1234

1.Cold is best pre spray your product lightly to keep it fresh and crisp while waiting to run through.
2. I don't lube, I mist the tumble barrel once every few minutes. The cut is cleaner. Any oil will darken your end product.
3.Are you asking for the main blade to barrel gap or the main blade to sharpener gap?

I was talking blade to sharpener but both if you're doing anything special :thank you:

I was talking blade to sharpener but both if you're doing anything special :thank you:
The blade to barrel is strain dependent...depends how tight you like your cut...just make sure both sides allen bolts are adjusted equally.
The blade to the sharpener is all sound. Ajust until the slightest tings, you need to listen with the vacuum off. If it's well taken care of unit you can back right off until the ting stops.
One of my units has over a thousand hours on it, it cuts best with the slight ting.
Don't be scared every half hour or so of use to tighten up both adjustors to sharpen for 10 seconds or so, the warning light will flash well before any damage. I also run my cut tight and my machine steep, setup is everything with almost all machines.

tech1234

The blade to barrel is strain dependent...depends how tight you like your cut...just make sure both sides allen bolts are adjusted equally.
The blade to the sharpener is all sound. Ajust until the slightest tings, you need to listen with the vacuum off. If it's well taken care of unit you can back right off until the ting stops.
One of my units has over a thousand hours on it, it cuts best with the slight ting.
Don't be scared every half hour or so of use to tighten up both adjustors to sharpen for 10 seconds or so, the warning light will flash well before any damage. I also run my cut tight and my machine steep, setup is everything with almost all machines.

Great info! and I followed perfectly although people who don't own one yet won't have a clue what your saying :biggrin: To those who don't own one yet... definitely buy one and learn the tricks. Most people not happy with them are either not growing enough to need one or not taking the time to tune it in.

Great info! and I followed perfectly although people who don't own one yet won't have a clue what your saying :biggrin: To those who don't own one yet... definitely buy one and learn the tricks. Most people not happy with them are either not growing enough to need one or not taking the time to tune it in.
People just need to spend time with the machine, any brand really lots of nice units out now.
On the last page hydro is asking about the pea gravel being sucked through, if you want to save the gravel try loosening the velcro cuff on the vacuum or take it right off.
you can also buy the dry barrel the slots are a lot closer it works fine with a wet cut we use it when we run small nug run crops like cookies.

Latest posts

Latest posts