What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Grower's experience, hell... that's life. :D

Yeah, most years are somewhere in the middle. I kinda wish this one had been a little more severe, actually. Part of the reason for running 12 different varieties was to select for climate-tolerance. As it was they all grew and produced like they'd evolved here...

Good luck with yours! Even a 5-gallon bucket on the patio will give you enough to make it worth the effort.

-s

Big tomato fan here! Believe it or not I grew the tomato before i grew weed. Grow thousands of them this year and sold them at local Farmers Markets up the east coast, from FL to N.C. to the Poconos to N.J. I following the growing season up. Had lots of fun and plenty of memories. Love cherokee Puprs!!

H

highsteppa

I am growing this list of tomatos this year, has anyone grow any of these? I like some input.
black, pink, red and yellow Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Green Zebra, White Wonder and orange Nebraska Wedding

Brandywine good flavor nice potatoe leaf but long internodes

Cherokee Purple alsways crack on thw shoulders otherwise nice small tomatoe

Green Zebra very good small tom needs to be vine ripend to bring out the yellow stripe and the flavor

Don't know the others, but noticed Dubwise says he 's growing Homestead, if its the old bush line from Homestead(the redlands) Florida it's a classic production tom

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've got 5 of each started right now (homestead,beefsteak,slicer) about three weeks old under a t5. I'd like to move them in to my flood & drain table in a month under a 1000w dual arc bulb. The outdoor stuff did okay this year, learned a lot~

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
we picked up those homestead seeds last year and grew out 4 massive plants this year. I never would have believed the difference in taste between the homestead vs. beefsteak but it was very noticable. The beefsteak produced nice looking tomatoes, but they were not as tomatoey (if that makes sense). I would recommend the homestead to anybody. I'd like to try a black variety.

dtfsux

wow there is some really great info here, glad I found this. My tomatoes did not do very well this year. I have a problem with crickets eating them. It drives me nuts.

dtfsux

I also tried growing them upside down in buckets like the Topsy Turvey thing on TV. Didn't have much luck with that either. My cucumbers did OK with that though.

hazy

Veteran
Climate envy?
This tomato is about 3' tall. It's got several tomatoes and I should be getting some ripe ones before our first frost. Then i guess I'll cover it when it gets cold.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Climate envy?
This tomato is about 3' tall. It's got several tomatoes and I should be getting some ripe ones before our first frost. Then i guess I'll cover it when it gets cold.

lucky you. How much time do you think you have?

graybeard

I am lucky enough to live in SE USA and have plenty of land. We plant a huge garden every year and can and freeze a lot of veggies. We typically put out about 40 tomato plants. Most are Better Boys for eating and canning. Usually 6 “tommy toe” plants, sweet 100 & cherry or grape. Plus I usually kill between 4 & 6 deer a year and buy a couple of butcher hogs per year & several pounds of frozen chicken breast from my bro in law & the fish I catch in a relatively clean lake & farm ponds. All of that keeps us going…I have a large family…

B

BeAn

gonna be using super early bush lines, and an F3 of bush x sweet vine selected for flavour....should be fun in 11L wilma pots + sugar peak nutes.:)

Irie!:rasta:

grapeman

Veteran
I am lucky enough to live in SE USA and have plenty of land. We plant a huge garden every year and can and freeze a lot of veggies. We typically put out about 40 tomato plants. Most are Better Boys for eating and canning. Usually 6 “tommy toe” plants, sweet 100 & cherry or grape. Plus I usually kill between 4 & 6 deer a year and buy a couple of butcher hogs per year & several pounds of frozen chicken breast from my bro in law & the fish I catch in a relatively clean lake & farm ponds. All of that keeps us going…I have a large family…

Hmmm. Sweet 100's. IMO the best cherry tomato ever.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Hello fellow mater growers. I too love the sweet 100's. We had two last year that did pretty well.
@grapeman-I finally got my grapes in a little while ago...I've read some of your posts and would love any tips you could offer for a new grape grower. I'm working with two unknown varieties, one "darlene", one "late fry", and two "sugargates".
@graybeard-that is awesome that you are getting self sufficient. I'm working like heck to achieve that as well. We had chickens (will be getting into that again real soon), we're about to get a few cows, we've got a great hookup with a close by fish farm, and we've got a nice piece of land to over grow. I've got about 20 tomatoes growing right now and would like to put up about 100 more for the spring, along with other various veggies.
Best of luck to you all!

grapeman

Veteran
Hello fellow mater growers. I too love the sweet 100's. We had two last year that did pretty well.
@grapeman-I finally got my grapes in a little while ago...I've read some of your posts and would love any tips you could offer for a new grape grower. I'm working with two unknown varieties, one "darlene", one "late fry", and two "sugargates".
@graybeard-that is awesome that you are getting self sufficient. I'm working like heck to achieve that as well. We had chickens (will be getting into that again real soon), we're about to get a few cows, we've got a great hookup with a close by fish farm, and we've got a nice piece of land to over grow. I've got about 20 tomatoes growing right now and would like to put up about 100 more for the spring, along with other various veggies.
Best of luck to you all!

Hey dub - so sorry to say that I am not familiar with those varieties. I've grown Perlettes, Thompson seedless, Flame Seedless, Superior Seedless, Cardinals, Robins, Jades Seedless, Exotics, Ribers, Emperors, Crimsons, Red Globes, Autuam Royal, Summer Royal and maybe a few others. These are all commercial varieties.

Your grapes must be specific to your region and not commercial varieties. I did google them and they are all strains of Muskats, an old variety no longer grown commercially. . I also noticed that they need pollenizers to produce. That makes it a pain in the ass.

PM me anytime with any questions.

gomer

What root stock do you prefer for your vines? Phylloxera resistant upgrade since the 1980s? Or is this mainly a wine grape issue?

I can't wait for warm spring weather. My tomatoes have started to sprout. They are growing on top of my CFL fixtures in my veg room at the moment.

grapeman

Veteran
What root stock do you prefer for your vines? Phylloxera resistant upgrade since the 1980s? Or is this mainly a wine grape issue?

I can't wait for warm spring weather. My tomatoes have started to sprout. They are growing on top of my CFL fixtures in my veg room at the moment.

Depends on the variety of the grape. But always Phylloxera resistant

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
So.... Can someone recommend some commercially available grape and/or cherry tomato varieties?

I dont want to get seeds, so ill need to find the variety at Lowes, HD, Walmart, or garden center. (gonna plant them in 10Gal smart pots)

I want something that produces all year long, has good flavor, and yeilds avg or better.

i always see super sweet 100's(among others), but im sure there are better.

Last edited: