Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > General Gardening > Tomato growers?

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Tomato growers? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 PM #31
webguy

webguy will become famous soon enoughwebguy will become famous soon enoughwebguy will become famous soon enough
I've got a few dozen going- 2 types of san marzano, also Opalka tomatoes which I hear are better than the san marzano's(we shall see). then of course some roma's and beefsteak and a couple that were given to me that I dont know what they are. 8 of my best marzano's are in buckets and the roots are dangling out of the drain holes, so i was thinking of doing a makeshift bucket in bucket hempy. I was also thinking of hitting them with some bud blood in late july, the stuff says 0-39-25 npk!
webguy is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM #32
Wait...What?

Wait...What? has a spectacular aura aboutWait...What? has a spectacular aura aboutWait...What? has a spectacular aura aboutWait...What? has a spectacular aura about
Water those roma-types VERY consistently! maters of the roma type are very prone to blossom end rot. the BER is caused not from a lack of calcium in the growing medium or nutrient, but a lack of mobility of it within the plant.

1ppm == 1mg per liter
Wait...What? is offline Quote

Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 PM #33
Weedman Herb

Roma, Roma/Cherry (hybrid), Mountain Pride (heirloom) Homestead (heirloom), Grape, and Cherry ... The Roma/Cherry are fuggin Huge and putting out mad blooms/fruit ... Indeed ... the romas like consistent waterings ...

Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 PM #34
killabrown420
Registered Marijuana User

killabrown420 has a spectacular aura aboutkillabrown420 has a spectacular aura aboutkillabrown420 has a spectacular aura about
I got some roma grapes, better boy, and park's whopper going atm. The roma grape is in an 18 gallon rubbermaid full of recycled pro-mix and is absolutely blowing up. Been training and pruning her for over a month now. I know what you guys mean about the constant watering. If I miss a watering in the morning she'll be droopy and pissy the rest of the day. Even if it rained the night before.

Anyone else love the smell of the tomato plant when you rub your fingers on the stem?

Hobby Growing w/ Friends

My Big Black Box of Bud

Designing my Growroom
killabrown420 is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 AM #35
Weedman Herb

Indeed I do killa ... and I just got clued in on "suckering" the maters ... Apparently you pinch off the sucker branch and the plant will cease mad leaf and branch growth and start fruiting sooner ??? They said I was a little late to start on that ... but ... I will keep it locked in Here (as Herb taps his noggin) for future reference ...

Old 06-13-2009, 01:55 PM #36
gobbler3447

Location: 31X90,American by birth Southern by the Grace of God, Deep in Dixie
gobbler3447 will become famous soon enoughgobbler3447 will become famous soon enoughgobbler3447 will become famous soon enough
Tomato Diseases

Started the season a little later this year, and now find " tomato wilt disease" are taking a toll on my plants. A mixture of varities(spck) some heirlooms, Its tough to see a plant 36'' tall just wilt down to nothing. In my experience I just pull them up and burn them, now I find it may be a soil bacteria caused disease, Barnyard, you, appear to be a down home guy because anyone who quotes MSU, must know something that I didnt learn at USM. Any thoughts on this problem? Any experience with this? Did you control the problem? At USM we primairly were concerned with Just a down home guy here, LOL.

Last edited by gobbler3447; 06-13-2009 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: identifying bacteria
gobbler3447 is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2009, 03:45 PM #37
CMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedman Herb View Post
Roma, Roma/Cherry (hybrid), Mountain Pride (heirloom) Homestead (heirloom), Grape, and Cherry ... The Roma/Cherry are fuggin Huge and putting out mad blooms/fruit ... Indeed ... the romas like consistent waterings ...
that roma/cherry cross sounds nice weedman! any pics?

im growing both, be nice to see the marrige

Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 PM #38
Weedman Herb

Camera is Broken but the replacement should be happening soon ... we have fruit on Most of them ... I haven't been out today but 1 of 2 the Mountain Prides will have 3 or 4 red ones soon ... I gotta check the Tag on the roma hybrid as I'm unsure if it was Roma/Cherry or Roma/Grape. I have some from seed and some were bought as plants ...

Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM #39
grimcreeper

grimcreeper will become famous soon enough
Everyone's tomatoes doing well? Mine are looking bomb. I've found some random ones growing in the compost pile and have planted them as well... I like the surprise, just like getting a mix pack of beans.
grimcreeper is offline Quote

Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM #40
slappyjack

slappyjack has a spectacular aura aboutslappyjack has a spectacular aura aboutslappyjack has a spectacular aura aboutslappyjack has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofNY View Post
You do realize there are DIY info on how to build your own upside down tomato pot online with just a 2 litter i think.... dunno i find the instructions, but never read thru them, just saw the pic of the homemade one working.

Ive also read the reviews on that commercial one available... the census was it can work, but has some problems.
Two weeks later and all the topsy turvey neighbors' tomato plants still look like crap. I guess I can't really blame the container, so I'll just blame the gardeners. My upright tomatoes are already producing fruit, the upside-down plants are all spindly and leafy, node spacing is about 4 times too long, and most are underwatered and underfed. If they were my plants I'd be embarrassed. Glad they're not.

That's the problem with all these "As seen on TV" products. People watch the commercials and expect a miracle for the low-low price of $19.95+S&H with little to no effort expended. As we all know, gardening just doesn't work that way.

I wish people would look to the White House's organic garden instead of putting their trust in a TV commercial.
slappyjack is offline Quote