Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > Removing THC from CBD oil?

Thread Title Search
Removing THC from CBD oil? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2018, 06:05 PM #1
poisongodmachin

poisongodmachin is on a distinguished road
Removing THC from CBD oil?

I've made some oil from a high CBD oil plant, however I'm wanting to remove the THC completely so am wondering if any one would know how to do this using heat? Or perhaps someone has a method of converting the THC to CBN whilst keeping the CBD in tact?
poisongodmachin is offline Quote

Old 05-11-2019, 08:43 PM #2
G.O. Joe

G.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisongodmachin View Post
Or perhaps someone has a method of converting the THC to CBN whilst keeping the CBD in tact?
Indeed it's said that CBD and delta-8 can be much harder to aromatize than delta-9, but who is wanting CBD with CBN in it? Is crystallization a viable method of removing a small amount of CBN from a large amount of CBD, or will CBN crystallize within CBD, or CBD within CBN, or do you get a mix of CBD and CBN crystals?
G.O. Joe is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:36 PM #3
Future4200

Future4200 is a jewel in the roughFuture4200 is a jewel in the roughFuture4200 is a jewel in the roughFuture4200 is a jewel in the roughFuture4200 is a jewel in the roughFuture4200 is a jewel in the roughFuture4200 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O. Joe View Post
Indeed it's said that CBD and delta-8 can be much harder to aromatize than delta-9, but who is wanting CBD with CBN in it? Is crystallization a viable method of removing a small amount of CBN from a large amount of CBD, or will CBN crystallize within CBD, or CBD within CBN, or do you get a mix of CBD and CBN crystals?
In my trials aromatizing the THC in hot CBD with Iodine, yes some of the CBD goes to CBN, but not as quickly as the THC goes to CBN.

Agreed that CBN in your CBD isn't great, but at least it then becomes a legal product.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29240420/
Future4200 is offline Quote

Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 PM #4
G.O. Joe

G.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to beholdG.O. Joe is a splendid one to behold
Interesting, it wasn't iodine that I was thinking of when I wrote that and I'm not sure it would be a good choice. In that article there was purification by chromatography, but what happens if someone doesn't do this chromatography? Someone else gets sold iodocannabinoids? For bulk CBN from THC, considering the cost of iodine and the joy of trying to recover it from residues, it would not be surprising if sulfur was better in the right hands. Wouldn't crystallization be desired for THC remediation of CBD?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 PM #5
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

CannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud of
Figured I'd take advantage of this opportunity to ask a question.

Quote:
Agreed that CBN in your CBD isn't great, but at least it then becomes a legal product
Can you guys expand on that. Why is it not good to have CBN with CBD?
Does CBN lessen the medical benefits of CBD?
Should full spectrum extracts that contain CBN be avoided?

Old 05-27-2019, 11:43 PM #6
G.O. Joe

It gets grandma high. Intoxicating people is a problem when there intoxication laws.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:10 AM #7
CannaRed
Cannabinerd

CannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud ofCannaRed has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.O. Joe View Post
It gets grandma high. Intoxicating people is a problem when there intoxication laws.
Thank you. I thought it made you sleepy, didn't realize it got you high as well. Now I understand.
CannaRed is online now Quote

Old 05-28-2019, 12:25 AM #8
psilocybevybe

psilocybevybe has a spectacular aura aboutpsilocybevybe has a spectacular aura aboutpsilocybevybe has a spectacular aura aboutpsilocybevybe has a spectacular aura aboutpsilocybevybe has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisongodmachin View Post
I've made some oil from a high CBD oil plant, however I'm wanting to remove the THC completely so am wondering if any one would know how to do this using heat? Or perhaps someone has a method of converting the THC to CBN whilst keeping the CBD in tact?

and your end goal is?
psilocybevybe is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 PM #9
Domicern

Domicern is on a distinguished road
Have you tried any methods yet? What is the outcome?
Domicern is offline Quote

Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM #10
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivortroutman is a survivor
Chromatography might be the best way to accomplish this separation.

How many solo cups does one need?

Who created the Original Skunks?
troutman is offline Quote