Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > Terpenes for edibles

Thread Title Search
Terpenes for edibles Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2018, 07:54 AM #191
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond repute
well it has been a while but i thought i would report on my progress...

things are going very very well, i now have 4 recipes as i have added a 'happy' mix which is humelene/alpha pinene dominate...this happy mix is actually working very well...myself and others that use it find we are just in a much better mood and generally feel more cheerier...

another aspect of using terpenes has been the ability to remove tolerance build up...in the past before i used terps i would quite quickly build tolerance up on edibles. now with the 4 different profiles i am using i just rotate through the blends. i always take a 'night' one every evening but during the day i mix it up depending on whats install for me...

less is more when it comes to the effectiveness of my caps, taking more actually reduces the 'stone' and i get a better response taking 2/day then i do taking 4/day...

also the medical effects are really starting to make these attractive the anti inflammatory properties, the sleep assistance and general well being improvements have been very well received. one person has now been able to cease 4 different pain/anti inflam medications and have a much better quality of life...

overall a very positive experience...

"Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy."
Paracelsus

positivity: "i don't believe you smoke pot...stoners are cool"
ozzieAI is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 PM #192
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant future
Hey guys.... guess what? I'm fucking stoned. Almost forgot what this feels like.

In a word....... lecithin.

Bioavailability.

Also, been doing via Sous Vide.

So, I don't know if it's the efficiency of the Sous Vide or the addition of more lecithin but something is working.

I first discovered it a few days ago when I took my normal dose of ....ALL OF IT !!!!! LOL... and a couple hours later, I actually had to lay down on the couch for a minute.

Wow, at first I thought something was wrong. Then, I said to myself... shit dude, you're stoned. Been so long I forgot what it felt like. LOL

The dose was VERY light (for me). I used 1 ounce of flowers and 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Made some Coco Krispies treats and ate about half of them. So, about 4 tablespoons of oil.

Damn...

So, yesterday I made some heavy whipping cream. I used only 1 ounce of the same strain flowers in 1/2 cup of cream.

I just took 1 tablespoon. I don't expect much but, we'll see.

Just wanted to report a success story. I had so much failure in this thread that good news was due. LOL

Also, I have been reading about bioavailability and myrcene comes up often.

Hey Oz, if you read this, would you post your terp recipes?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 PM #193
SkyHighLer
Got me a stone bad Mana

SkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to beholdSkyHighLer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by youareaniceguy View Post
Have you tried decarbing oil sous vide style in a vacuum sealed bag to retain more terps during the decarbing process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFarmFan View Post
That is actually a great idea! I already do sous vide as a step with my candy, but this is a water bath at lower temps. I wonder how the bags would handle hot oil at 245F? Would also be interesting to watch the co2 bubbles during the process. This would theoretically decarb more evenly and perhaps a bit faster as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighLer View Post
Looks like standard home vacuum sealer bags aren't up to taking the 250F necessary to follow the decarb bubbling action.

How about using nylon oven 'turkey roaster' bags? Suck the air out with a straw, and knot the top like you would bagging nuggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youareaniceguy View Post
You can use a sous vide bag vacuumed and decarb at 205 for around 1.5 hours. You can watch the bag expand throughout the process to get an idea of how complete decarb is.

Lab tests confirm effective decarb this way for me. Only issue is if decarbing oil instead of flower the oil is difficult to contain in a vacuum sealed bag.
From troutman:

Decarboxylation: Marijuana Alchemy
(decarbing in a sealed bag)

https://marijuanagrowershq.com/decar...juana-alchemy/
3. Click on the 'reload this page' icon, or hit the return key.

Best to Worst Canned Butane List
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...6&postcount=28

Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold
https://calgarycmmc.com/E-books/E%20B...0D.%20Gold.pdf

Hash oil techniques and solvents for non BHO hash oil?
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=338633

Solvents listed as to polarity
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...&postcount=162

The Truth Machine by James L. Halperin (free read provided by the author)
https://coins.ha.com/information/ttm.s
SkyHighLer is offline Quote

Old 09-21-2018, 10:59 PM #194
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant futureRingodoggie has a brilliant future
Since I started doing Sous Vide, I stopped adding terps to my edibles. I don't have to any more.

This sous vide method is 'ground breaking' as far as I'm concerns.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:57 PM #195
madscientist81

madscientist81 will become famous soon enoughmadscientist81 will become famous soon enough
Wow did life get so busy for me. It was at least 8 months ago that I made my first order, and put my first posts on the thread. I have been insanely busy with work, but all the while I at least have my experiences to share now!

First, my overall impression with True Terpenes: They are excellent! Prompt responses, helpful customer service, they take excellent care packaging AND shipping the products. My first few orders were all just sample packs. I can attest to the aroma and flavor "accuracy" of several of the profiles where I have tried the originals. The super lemon haze is spot on. I'm not certain if I've ever had authentic "og kush" but I really like the aroma/flavor and effect of their OG profile. I like the sweet citrus sandalwood-ish.

As many of you have already discussed and experimented with regarding indica-body/sedative effects: the Grandaddy Purple profile was my favorite nighttime/ body relaxation+ happy: Its predominantly Linalool, Humulene and Myrcene. At the end of a long day when my neck and back hurt, it truly hits the spot. My father also responds favorably to this mixture as well (for his PM med). He was actually my primary consumer and he has had great response for his sciatica and knee osteoarthritis.

I have since ordered the smallest bottles of pure terpene isolates of the following: Myrcene, Linalool, Humulene, Beta-Caryophyllene and Phytol. My primary interest in phytol is it's possible effects on GABA.
Has anyone else experimented with phytol? I would be interested in hearing your experiences.

As many others have already stated:

1.)You develop a bit of tolerance to a specific terpene profile, so it is good to do occasional rotating or mix up your regimen a bit.

2.) Similar to others, I make capsules. Decarb bud, then heat with lipid of choice (olive oil & coconut oil) along with lecithin. I use an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner in my DIY attempt at making a "nano-emulsion". Last step add the terps.

At the risk of going off on a separate-thread level of tangent: Has anyone else attempted the DIY "nano-emulsion" (ultrasonic jewelry cleaner-lecithin + cannabis oil). I'm unsure if it's just the lecithin, or the sonicating helps, but it does seem to slightly improve bioavailability. Unfortunately, nothing substitutes for consuming edible 15-30 mins before eating a fatty meal- as far as bioavailability goes.

Keep up the good work guys. I will try to contribute with my specific formulations and how they correlate with my experience but for now just dropping a quick message!

"What is a man? A seed? An acorn unafraid to destroy itself in growing into a tree?" ~David Zindell

"Homo Sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission natural selection, the force that made us. Soon we must look deep within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." ~E.O Wilson
madscientist81 is offline Quote

Old 03-31-2019, 09:26 PM #196
madscientist81

madscientist81 will become famous soon enoughmadscientist81 will become famous soon enough
Also as others have attested to, using Sous Vide goes a long way to preserving the terpenes when preparing edibles. I was already able to retain the terps in my edibles when I began looking into add-in terps.

I was more interested in being able to precisely formulate or modulate certain effects ( be they therapeutic, recreational, or for aroma & flavor) and I would imagine that is the primary reason most others are interested as well.

"What is a man? A seed? An acorn unafraid to destroy itself in growing into a tree?" ~David Zindell

"Homo Sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission natural selection, the force that made us. Soon we must look deep within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." ~E.O Wilson
madscientist81 is offline Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 03:04 AM #197
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond reputeozzieAI has a reputation beyond repute
Hey MS81, sounds like we are doing a very similar in regards to making caps although i don't use ultrasonics. when i decarb i am actually removing most of the naturally occurring terpenes, this allows me to control what effect the caps give by manipulating the terpene profile.

my terpene recipes are like a blunt instrument when compared the natural terpene profiles cannabis has but they do give a definitive experience. i have given my various caps to several people now and ask them to detail what they feel without telling them what to expect. across my 3 main recipes i get consistent responses from my testers matching the type of experience i am aiming for.

i look forward to hearing about your formulations and experiences...

"Poison is in everything, and no thing is without poison. The dosage makes it either a poison or a remedy."
Paracelsus

positivity: "i don't believe you smoke pot...stoners are cool"
ozzieAI is offline Quote