What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long can you store cannabutter?

C

cannavore

Here is a look at the butter that had tiny spots of mold starting. It was easily cut away and did not go much past the surface on a few pieces.

After all the tiny mold spots are removed add a few eggs, dash of water and the magic mix.

Stir!

love that corner piece

:smoke:

C

cannavore

In the past butter has lasted longer in the fridge without mold, but this butter was not stored as well. Just quickly wrapped in some plastic and tossed on a shelf. While I would not state an indefinite shelf life for butter in the fridge, I know it can last longer than this (2-3 week) if stored in a better container with regard to light, moisture, and heat. But would say that aprox. 2 weeks is when to start checking. If stored like traditional butter 2 weeks or so seems to be the general time frame for when it starts to spoil, but with better storage this can be extended as others have illustrated with their experience.

While the exact shelf life may vary from person to person, fridge to fridge, storing technique to storing technique. Everyone in this thread gave great information, thank you all. Everyone was correct in their own right, so I hope we can all learn from each other and take the positive with us.

osirica420

removing all the water from the butter will make something called GHEE (indian word)..
they dont even refrigerate it holds for months not quite sure how long but pretty damn long..

Ghee, also known as clarified butter in anglophone countries, is made by simmering unsalted butter in a cooking vessel until all water has boiled off and the milk solids, or protein, have settled to the bottom. The cooked and clarified butter is then spooned off to avoid disturbing the milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Unlike butter, ghee can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation and remains moisture-free.[2] Texture, colour, or taste of ghee depends on the source of the milk from which the butter was made and the extent of boiling.

Moroccans (especially Berbers) take this one step further, aging spiced ghee in the ground for months or even years, resulting in a product called smen...

OHC

Thanks. Very informative post. Exactly what I've been needing to know. My butter is three weeks old in the fridge. I've never had pure butter grow mold. I've had pure butter sit out on the counter covered for soft use for as long as a week or more and never noticed it having mold or spoiled. So I guess we can assume this mold is from the plant matter - which kinda makes sense since as it was simmering it did take on much of the same characteristics as a pot of greens or spinach.

AKDrifter

I make mine then cool it in the froge overnight. Once cool I take the whole hunk from a 4 qt sauce pan out, so it is a nice big round cake of canabutter about 1 1/2" thick, dry it off while it is still cold and solid and vac seal the cake , then into the freezer.

I just finished a batch from 2yrs ago that was still excellent. As I break up the cakes I will vac seal the remaining piece of the cake and back in the freezer it goes. I just shave off what I need from the smaller hunk and keep my peice I am using in a ziplock in the freezer for quick access whenever I want.

The next run i will remelt the cake the day after I make it and pour it into an ice cube tray, then once frozen I will vac seal the cubes individually for ease of use.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
If it's basically a ghee (you've cleaned it of all the proteins, filtered out other solids and cooked off the other bits) it'll be stable for months if not years in a tightly sealed container in the fridge or freezer.

Herbed butter, esp butter with bits suspended in it I wouldn't trust much past 2 weeks in a fridge, the main reason being botulism. Butter blocks air penetration pretty well and those spores are really tough little bastards. It's also fairly uncommon, but lethal enough to keep me from messing with it. We get a death every so often and a lot of hospital trips from fatty preserved foods around here. More than likely whatever would grow in your butter wouldn't be nearly as nasty and probably would simply give it an off taste.

Would it make you sick? Probably not. Would I want to eat anything out of your fridge after you ask me that question? Probably not.

Wake up and smell the coconut oil stoners! Especially if shelf life is the concern. Great meds, waaaay higher smoke point, can be used topically, can replace butter in any recipe. Use it for brownies, psoriasis, popcorn, sore ankles... whatever - coconut oil has your back. Enhances the flavor of anything it is used for... I heart coconut oil and quit making butter a while ago once I figured all this out. Dairy=shorter shelf life.
~MissGD

blastfrompast

Veteran
Just keep it in the freezer break off a piece and put in in the fridge if your a daily user like myself (I make hot chocolate-canna-coconut milk) every day using a table spoon or more.

So I keep most in the freezer, and just use smaller pieces of butter in the fridge for eating, or one of the 500ml coconut oil containers (I buy it at 1.5l containers, but divide it into 3 500ml ones when I'm all done making it)

ntbrass

Hi all,

i left some in my car for about 9 months and whilst the bottom of it went mouldy, most of it appears fine.....ive cut off the bad bits and will loeave it out tonight and try make brownies with it tomorrow.

reckon its ok to use?
it doesnt really smell bad or anything!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi all,

i left some in my car for about 9 months and whilst the bottom of it went mouldy, most of it appears fine.....ive cut off the bad bits and will loeave it out tonight and try make brownies with it tomorrow.

reckon its ok to use?
it doesnt really smell bad or anything!

Scary! I wouldn't want to eat anything made with that.