What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Extraction

I have a bunch of small bud from my outdoor grow that is simply to tedious to trim to make it work while. I have made bubble hash many times, but this is a PITA and needs to dry out. As an alternative, I am wanting to make dry ice hash. I have read several articles and watched several videos, but there are a lot of discrepancies in the methods.

I was wondering if you that have used this method could give me a lesson and I could take advantage of your experience? I have 5 gallon bags and a couple pounds of bud with the big leaves removed, but the sugar leave intact...and tons of sugar trim. Should I freeze this before I make the hash? Should it be fresh frozen or dried first? Should I decarb the bud before making kief or should I decarb the kief? What micron bag(s) do you use? How much dry ice to how much bud/trim? Has anyone come up with a good DIY shaker? I have been looking at my Saw-z-all thinking the back and forth action could be utilized somehow. Any advice/ideas are appreciated!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Forget it... do ice water hash. Sift sux. LOL With that said, maybe I can contribute just a little. I have done more than a little sifting but not with dry ice so much of what's below is what I have read on the subject.

I think most people just use a 5 gallon bucket (clean) and a bubble bag. Then, shake by hand. Do a search on Youtube and there's a zillion examples. I made an awesome shaker and I use a pneumatic paint shaker to shake it. It holds about 3 or 4 ounces at a time. I posted a DIY at another forum. I'll see if I can post a link to it.

Dry ice cubes are better than a single big chunk. From the vids I have seen, maybe 30 to 40% dry ice to 60 to 70% pot.

I start with a 120u screen in my shaker. However, after I gather that, it is sorted with 3 more screens to separate it. Top screen is 100u, then 70u, then 45u.

The stuff that stays on top of the 100u is dirty. Not going to make nice hash out of it. OK for edibles.

What sits on top of the 70u screen is about the best. I can press it in my fingers and breath on it and it will melt under the heat and pressure. This will roll real nice into a primo full melt bubble (usually). Sometimes the 45u will melt but what makes it though all screens is pretty powdery and presses OK but doesn't usually bubble.

I have always frozen mine first but I recently read something that said refrigerated is better than freezing for not fracturing the chlorophyll cells and giving the final product a "green" taste and color. Taken with however many grains of salt that's worth.

Why decarb? Are you going to use it in edibles? I always decarb last in the chain. Just before cooking. JME

That's about it from me. I'll run try to find the link to my shaker.

EDIT: OK, let's see if I can post a link to another forum thread... https://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69978

OK, that seemed to work. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. I do have a vid. Maybe I can post it somewhere...

EDIT AGAIN: See if this works... https://youtu.be/KLvTmsqeWGM

Attachments

• drysift-1.jpg
    drysift-1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 14
  • drysift-4.jpg
    drysift-4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 15
  • drysift-5.jpg
    drysift-5.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 18
  • drysift-2.jpg
    drysift-2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 14
  • drysift-3.jpg
    drysift-3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

I have a bunch of small bud from my outdoor grow that is simply to tedious to trim to make it work while. I have made bubble hash many times, but this is a PITA and needs to dry out. As an alternative, I am wanting to make dry ice hash. I have read several articles and watched several videos, but there are a lot of discrepancies in the methods.

I was wondering if you that have used this method could give me a lesson and I could take advantage of your experience? I have 5 gallon bags and a couple pounds of bud with the big leaves removed, but the sugar leave intact...and tons of sugar trim. Should I freeze this before I make the hash? Should it be fresh frozen or dried first? Should I decarb the bud before making kief or should I decarb the kief? What micron bag(s) do you use? How much dry ice to how much bud/trim? Has anyone come up with a good DIY shaker? I have been looking at my Saw-z-all thinking the back and forth action could be utilized somehow. Any advice/ideas are appreciated!

there is probably some good info lurking in the hash making forum on the concentrates board, but be warned that some people are highly opinionated on the topic.

Latest posts

Latest posts