What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Steel Fittings

montroller

Yup it was the packing nut, thanks again for the help on that gw and nl! System is running smoothly now, just gotta get those heat exchange coils

Is it worth it to put a gauge on my recovery coil like the mt69?

montroller

I was thinking to do a compression to npt branch tee with a gauge and ball valve assembly but the fittings would be more than the coils lol. I still want to put a ball valve just to be able to isolate the coils from the pump

Sunfire

Veteran
Just get a wort chiller from new York brewery, it ss and cheaper than mt69.

http://www.installationpartssupply.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?#.VL6Z7cnTnqA

these guys have sae 45 flare ss fittings for rediculously cheap, there ball valves are also crazy well priced. They don't have a lot of specialty stuff but the basics. I'm all sae just because the tank is. Those guys are local to me in cali too.

Paragon performance is the place for ptfe ss braided AND ss fittings and will custom assemble your lines promptly. Talk to jim. They are in cali as well. That crap from eBay is paper thin bullshit. These guys have decent wall thickness and their price is like half what discount hydraulics sells. Plus they have a conducting static discharge ptfe hose for like 20 cents a foot more. I just learned this today, the hc vapor can build a static charge moving through the ptfe hose. They also MAKE ptfe ss braided hose that has a silicone jacket for only 5 bucks a foot which is 4 times cheaper than that for parkers version or other companies I've seen. I'm not positive if a lot of hose has actual ss fittings, you should inquire. Jim will rig up whatever you want with whatever fittings and can do the fittings in stainless cheaper than discount hydraulics does there regular steel fittings.

Jim spent 30 minutes on the phone with me today and told him I'd spread the word of their california company. Go for -8 hose it's just over 3/8". -6 is just under 3/8 and he can put on whatever size and style fitting you want, not sure bout swagelock thougj.

montroller

I actually already ordered through NY brew supply should be here in a few days to a week.

And holy shit those are some cheap stainless fittings. That could drastically drop the price of building a new system.

grant86

Can any one tell me the type of fitting that goes into the intake side of a cps tr21. You know the brass fitting that screws directly into the manifold. Need to replace it and the guys at my local shop couldn't figure out the thread type that went Into the manifold. Thanks!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
scary that they don't know what it is. Take a close up photo for me of both male and felmale ends of the pump and connector and I'll tell you what it is. I don't have a cps where I am at.

:joint:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I don't have a CPS, but I would imagine it is an ORB (O-Ring Boss) to 1/4" SAE Flare fitting

O-ring boss, is what HomeDeopot calls "compression thread" different from "NTP" and "Flare".

Those are the three types of threads we normally run into, there are a few other types but not seen too often in this application.

:joint:

MEMED

yup orb 1/4" on the tr21. Nice links/info sunfire! Prolly gonna give those guys a shout fer some hoses!

Sunfire

Veteran
So, you like me better now memed, not so lazy after all eh? You can deposit 50% of your savings into my PayPal account lmao ;)

Sunfire

Veteran
Pffft yeah I was at a HD just the other day looking out of curiosity but they don't stock that many small sizes of stuff. But every HD is different, for sure online but not is ss. See if installation parts supply has ss ones maybe

flatslabs

You won't find JIC flare fittings anywhere but hydraulics places. They might have a 1/4 ORB to 1/4 Lead Free Brass SAE flare though.

I have found lowes to carry a better selection of specialty fittings over HD, so might want to check there as well.

Sunfire

Veteran
Yes Japanese industry standard 37 degree flare is pretty much hydraulic status.

That's NOT what MY tr21 ' s are though, they are sae for sure I've like double triple checked that.

However my friends...a 1/4" flare fitting on hoses is universal (mostly, best to double check with where you got your hoses). Discount hydraulics calls it a Jsx fitting. Pretty much the inner cone of the fitting has two angles to seat either 45 sae or 37 jic. I've talked to like 5 ships specifically about this. 3/8 is not compatible though because the actual thread is different.

flatslabs

Most of us use JIC everywhere as the 1/4 hoses have the dual cone seal and will hook up to the SAE or JIC fittings, you are correct the 3/8 is different. So putting a 1/4 ORB to 1/4 JIC or 1/4 SAE fitting on the pump would be the same outcome for most of us. HVAC stuff will most likely always be SAE flare.

I posted a chart a few weeks ago in another thread about the threading compatibilities between JIC and SAE.

Sunfire

Veteran
Yep yep your right sir, that's why I just posted the same thing. I'm just the anal bastard that's wants everything to match up perfectly even thought it only matters on paper and not practical application lol I'm a dork sometimes!

I was just trying to point out home grown depot might work even though they don't stock jic. Good lookin for the homies flatslabs.