What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Safety aka "Please don't immolate or blow your self up!"

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.northcoastjournal.com/N...ere-burns-in-mckinleyville-hash-lab-explosion

Man Suffers Severe Burns in McKinleyville Hash Lab Explosion
POSTED BY KIMBERLY WEAR @KIMBERLY_WEAR ON SUN, OCT 21, 2018 AT 6:43 PM

The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a hash lab explosion that took place this afternoon in the 1200 block of East Bates Road in McKinleyville that left a man with severe burns.

According to a release, deputies were called to the scene just after 2 p.m. and found a hash oil extraction lab inside of a shipping container. The man who was injured was taken to a local hospital, but his condition was not immediately available.

The explosion took place near Morris Elementary School.

A witness, who was with another person, told Kym Kemp's Redheaded Blackbelt that, “We heard a small explosion. We heard a lot of yelling.”

They walked around the corner and saw a fire coming from a shipping container in a front yard. “We saw smoke billowing out of the building,” the witness said. “A guy appeared. He was kind of burned. … He was obviously panicking.”

Read the release from the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office below:
On 10/21/18 at approximately 2:04 pm, Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office deputies were dispatched to the 1200 block of E. Bates Rd. in McKinleyville for the report of Butane hash oil (BHO) extraction lab explosion. Sheriff’s deputies arrived shortly after Cal Fire and observed an active (BHO) lab inside a shipping container. A male subject was transported to a local hospital with severe burns. His condition is unknown at this time. The Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office Drug Enforcement Unit responded to conduct a search of the property.

This incident is under investigation.

Attachments

• document_3_.jpg
    document_3_.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...f/2018/10/lebanon_man_severely_burned_af.html

Lebanon man severely burned after butane hash oil explosion
By Everton Bailey Jr. ebailey@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive Oct 25, 8:25 PM; Posted Oct 25, 8:14 PM

A central Oregon man suffered burns to more than half his body Tuesday after a butane hash oil explosion inside a suspected home drug lab, authorities say.

Nicholas Helms, 26, is being treated at OHSU Hospital after being caught in the explosion around 7:35 p.m. inside a box trailer on River Drive in Lebanon, Albany police said. Investigators seized several pounds of marijuana, cash and guns from the scene and discovered blasting caps there as well, according to police.

No charges have been announced in the case. Police ask anyone with information about the explosion to contact the Linn County Interagency Narcotics Enforcement task force at 541-791-0102.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.kcra.com/article/1-injured-in-stockton-honey-oil-lab-explosion/24239630

1 injured in Stockton honey oil lab explosion
KCRA Staff Updated: 6:49 PM PDT Oct 25, 2018

STOCKTON, Calif. (KCRA) — Officers are investigating a hash oil lab explosion at a Stockton home, police said.

A suspect suffered major burns and was taken to UC Davis Medical Center for treatment, Stockton police said.

The explosion happened around 3:55 p.m. in the 2300 block of Stern Place.

The suspect was making butane honey oil, also known as hash oil, in the garage when one of the propane tanks exploded, police said. Honey oil is a potent extract of cannabis. By using butane, a producer can create THC and CBD oils.

The fire destroyed two cars and the garage. Police said the majority of the first floor of the home was also damaged.

The investigation is ongoing.

No other details were released.

Blew the garage door off, a sealed extraction space with no ventilation. A closed loop system is just as dangerous as open extracting if you're not eliminating ignition sources and providing full forced ventilation.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.03.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.03.49 AM.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.04.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.04.54 AM.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 47

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/house...-use-of-butane-to-make-cannabis-oil-1.4168574

House explosion may have been caused by use of butane to make cannabis oilThe Canadian Press
Published Thursday, November 8, 2018 10:34AM EST
Last Updated Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:41PM EST

WHITBY, Ont. - Police investigating a house explosion east of Toronto say they believe the blast occurred when butane was being used to make cannabis oil.

The explosion took place around 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday in Whitby, Ont., leaving three men with non life-threatening injuries.

Local television footage shows one wall partially collapsed and several windows blown out.

Jody Cormier, 48, of Whitby, has been charged with arson with disregard for human life, criminal negligence and altering cannabis with an organic solvent.

Police say Cormier was released on a promise to appear in court.

They say engineers are now working to determine the safety of the house.

According to the video, the fire department rescued three men from the basement.

1) Butane pools (accumulates in the lowest place it can freely travel to)

2) Probably little to no ventilation, and ventilating a basement is difficult due to point #1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 8.38.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 8.38.13 AM.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 49

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Some serious stuff in here, but with a buzz some is also funny.

I may not think this is funny quote later, but when talking about venting a extract room Mr. Gray Wolf wrote: "An excellent book on ventilation design, is Industrial Ventilation, a manual of recommended practices, by the American Conference of Governmental Hygienists."

I just took that to mean that .guv workers are so full of sh*t that it takes industrial ventilation in the toilets. Side note is they think their sh*t don't stink, but conference knows better. :biggrin:

I just found another gem of wisdom from Mr. Gray Wolf: "I use a basket ball inflation pump to blow out the last bit of liquid."

... through the injection hole with an adapter if needed? Don't have one, I do have an air tank and rubber-tipped nozzle. Maybe 25 PSI or so. May be overkill.

Last edited:

MattKKZ

A dude down the road from me a couple years ago blew the fuck out of his house doing that shit\], isnt like all natural better ... bubble hash?

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I disagree. Intelligent people also do "dumb shit" all the time.
However, smart people will understand and learn from these examples.

I'm guessing that "dumb people" will wax pejorative in a pathetic bid for attention.
Don't you agree? :D

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I disagree as well. I also believe that having read this thread, some intelligent people have operated more safely.

Latest posts

Latest posts