What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

G

Ok i use the crockpot method. Makes it easier not to burn the ingredients. I stole it from Ed Rosenthal's Trash to Stash book. For every cup of butter ad 2 cups of water. Then cook at approximately 200 degrees for 12-14 hrs for best results. Let some of the water evaporate out. Then seperate as stated earlier in the thread. Use a strainer and cheese cloth to not allow and of the leaf material into the actual butter you will be using. Nice thread man.

70s_PotHead

Great thread, can someone tell me where to buy cheese cloth??

thanks,
70s

full time daddy
Veteran
70s_PotHead said:
Great thread, can someone tell me where to buy cheese cloth??

thanks,
70s

most any food store has it...... safeway,winco,food maxx,ect.....

Motley

Water washing before extraction can work very well.

Boil water in kettle. Fill pot on stove. Bring to boil. Add kuja. Boil, semi vogourously, for 10 minutes. Strain thru cloth.

Do this 3 times. Each time water will be lighter. The last wash should be clear(ish).

Then the kuja can be used in butter extraction. l find the butter produced is very clean. Taste of kuja is only slightly discernable.

Makes very nice bhang too.

You can divide the cannabutter up into blocks. Rap each block in wrapping plactic. Place in container and into the freezer and use as desired. l cut the large slab of cannabutter into say 10 blocks. Then markout (scour) each block into 10 cubes, like a grid. Keep a block in the fridge and cut out a little cube for a dose, taken any which way you like.

Have had cannabutter in the freezer like this for nearly 12 mths and havent noticed a fall in potency.

Purified butter (ghee) is higher fat content (99%) and keeps longer.

Cheerz.

double boiler

double boiler

Great instructions but I have found that if you use a double boiler method you will get better results. Using a single pan it is very easy to overheat the butter and burn the THC. By using a double boiler - cooking pot on bottom with a few inches of water and than a pot on top wiht the butter water and ganja - gives you much more control and even if the ganja drops to the bottom it wont burn since it is far enough away from the heat

my 02

peace

sgd

OldSoG

i've always wondered... say you used an lb of butter and your ready to make cookies and the recipe calls for 1/2 lb of butter. would use a 1/2 lb of the cannbutter or do you mix it with regular butter too?

peace,

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
OldSoG said:
i've always wondered... say you used an lb of butter and your ready to make cookies and the recipe calls for 1/2 lb of butter. would use a 1/2 lb of the cannbutter or do you mix it with regular butter too?

peace,

You'd wanna use all canna butter. Some of it will cook down and reduce so I always add a little extra butter. Like 1teaspoon

Motley

THC is destroyed around 160ish celcius (??).
Not exactly sure at what temperature THC starts to degrade.
Water boils at 100 celcius so its well below the temp required to destroy.
Double boiler method only way to go when steeping the kuja directly in butter. However, when melting butter into boiling water, have found double boiler unnecessary.

cheerz.

Last edited:

buckeye-leaf

cannabis enthusiast
Veteran
man thats a great recipe, i sure love making and eating sweets so that recipe will be very neat to try and make some cookies/brownies and even probably good for breakfast on toast. thanks!

buckeye-leaf

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
Motley said:
THC is destroyed around 160ish celcius (??).
Not exactly sure at what temperature THC starts to degrade.
Water boils at 100 celcius so its well below the temp required to destroy.
Double boiler method only way to go when steeping the Marijuana directly in butter.
cheerz.
THC degrades at 375F(degrees)

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Good instructions, it helps to see things, I never did this very well at all, mostly messy misadventures. This is a testamonial thank you, quite difficult to type, but fun. I use in an off the shelf oatmeal cookie mix, very nice, best I ever did for myself. Good for my blood preasue, as long as I don't use the hazes.

I found a 2 pak of paint strainer bags, cheesecloth, that work well with a household strainer rig for canning. I can't make brownies with this girly haze now, you can have it in thanks.
H

1twisted1

Thanks for the Recipe, I wanted to try something new withmy bud trim and this is it.
I noticed you were very specific in the amounts. Would all the THC still be extracted if I were to,,,, say triple the amount of bud. Would I be wasting the bud???.
Peace and thanks again for the great recipe. I will try it tommorrow.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
1twisted1 said:
Thanks for the Recipe, I wanted to try something new withmy bud trim and this is it.
I noticed you were very specific in the amounts. Would all the THC still be extracted if I were to,,,, say triple the amount of bud. Would I be wasting the bud???.
Peace and thanks again for the great recipe. I will try it tommorrow.

The THC bonds with the fat in the butter. So at a certin point there will just be too much thc and no more fat to bond to resulting in wasted buds.

Latest posts

Latest posts