What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WANTED: Electric Fence For Small Bush Animals.

T

Teddybrae

Just wundrin if anyone has made an electric fence to keep out Possums?

I 'm growing in tubs so the plants are 600mm/2 feet above ground. Beasties can easily climb up to the plants because the tubs are insulated for heat and the insulation is held in place by wire netting.

It's possible there may be Rats around too cos I 'm right in the bush.

Thanks!

ozzieAI

Veteran
Allow me to introduce you to one of my favorite youtube channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_paye16PsHw&ab_channel=SelfSufficientMe

great channel...i watch regularly...

rats were a real problem here for a while...then they just disappeared...

possums not so much....

however, i have made quite a few so, small mesh wire, isolated, stand offs at least on top... 1.2 m in height if no over hanging trees...or anything they can launch from...

depending on your situation a small transistor radio left on does wonders...and there is a spray you can use to keep animals away...

https://www.pestrol.com.au/buy-onli...wNzio6xEN215qZ60QV6gL487XqtKQENRoChoQQAvD_BwE

the active ingredient from above product is this: Denatonium-Benzoate

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-grams...-Compound-Food-Grade-C28H34N2O3-/292061672558

good luck...

ozzieAI

Veteran
that video linked, there is actually an update where he got it professionally upgraded...i looked but can't find it...

ozzieAI

Veteran
..oh yeah, go high power...as pink floyd said:

I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,
sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it?

T

Teddybrae

Thank you! I am a Father of five. I know all about short sharp shocks and the exact moment to deliver them!

..oh yeah, go high power...as pink floyd said:

I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,
sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it?

G

Build a cage with bird wire (the small squares) on the bottom with wooden stakes weaved through wire pushing it into the ground. Use metal star stakes/pickets for the corners & then use the chicken wire (large holes) for the top section & roof. Will give you about 6-8ft height of cage. Use sticks to prop the roof up & push the walls out here & there, not too tight as the possums don't like it loose. If your worried about height of wire while plants are young just fold it down some & wire it together in the middle. Where the 2 levels of wire meet at 1 corner to about 3-4ft use some wire to join it so you can get in to water or work on em. This method works 100% against animals for a few hundred bucks at most.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Nothing passes my pee boarder. Not with the stuff I eat. They would have to really fancy themselves. I'm no vegetarian.
I have, on occasion, taken a pee bottle with me. Just to be sure

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
absolutely ,

we were never 100% sure if it was the possums , but we used an electric fence nevertheless ,
the old poss was pretty wary of it when we saw him one day looking at it with caution , maybe he had encountered it ,
we figured if he had , it was likely with a wet nose , which would give an almighty shock to the poor little fella ,
so yep you can certainly do it teddy ,
what are u seeing that is a problem , are they chewing the plants , the stems ?

what is happening ,
maybe we can figure out exactly what it is and come up with a remedy ??

troutman

Seed Whore
Maybe setting a game camera to get a pic or two or the varmints would help with a strategy. :tiphat:

I have one and have yet to learn how to use it before next guerilla season. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts