What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why are the effects of sativa and indica different?

m0lecule

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I am trying to figure out how 2 plants with the same cannabinoid profile, say 15% THC, .5% CBD, .01% CBN, based on lab test analysis, could have completely different effects if one is a pure sativa and the other is pure Indica. Lab results here in Seattle show this clearly.

This means that profile testing cannot predict the type of high by numbers alone. So what is it? Lesser known cannabinoids? Annandamide receptors?

I know how they are different experience -wise, all of us here do. But why exactly if not cannabinoid levels?

M0lecule is super curious.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day M0lecule

Well thats interesting .
I have thought for many years it was THC V that made some sativas the high fliers . In more recent times I read that high altitude Indicas can have THC V as well as CBD V .
There is also the terpenoid profile . The frequency of the vibration from the aroma from Sats to Indicas is an interesting topic as well . Any body familiar with Bach Flower remedy ??

EB .

B

blue green

Do you mean that the differnence in aromas from sativas and indicas might be correlated with the effects?

Certain aromas can cause certain effects?

m0lecule

I have definitely seen similar uplifting traits in lemon varieties, in particular Federation's Hawaiian Sativa. But all this new tech on the cannabinoid profiles and % etc doesn't really mean much if the experience cannot be linked to it.

So I agree that there is something there with the terpenoids, after all cannabinoids fall in that family, but that can't be all of it. Otherwise we would selecting our favorite highs solely based on smell.

More curious now!

Tom Hill

Veteran
credit where it's due...

credit where it's due...

As far as I know it was Sam Skunkman (a decade ago?) who first came to this realization that terpenoid profiles interacting with major cannabinoids greatly influence the over-all experience of the end user.

It was a pretty ballzy theory to put forward (I believe I recall him saying many of his peers first scoffed at the notion), but it does readily explain how a group of people might rate a lessor THC individual as "more potent" than a higher THC individual (among other things).

Today it represents a highly exciting field of research as scientists and labs scramble to gain a firmer handle on all of it. Tomorrow as we do understand more (and perhaps coupled with marker aided selection), it may indeed represent a major cornerstone in many a breeding projects imo. -T

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Probably the interest came with this research which was published in the IHA.

http://www.internationalhempassociation.org/jiha/jiha4208.html

Another research which was done much earlier never got the attention of following research if the terpenes had something to do with the effect of the high and probably medicinal issues, although the terpenes itself was used for a long time in ancient medicinal practice.

Malingré T., H. Herndriks, S. Battermann, R. Bos and J. Visser, 1975. The essential oil of Cannabis sativa. Planta medica 28: 56-61.

Keep on growing :)

LubdaNugs

Veteran
Nice link Mex. Its been a long time since I had organic chemistry, it brought back a bunch of memories.

numberguy

It is my opinion that the thc itself varies and can be manipulated through breeding. Nothing else can explain the complexities of affect.