What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do some people not like femenized seeds?

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I've grew fem seeds since they were first available. It's saved me a bunch of money because I don't have to transplant males into a expensive soil mix....also space for indoors. Mainly people like regular seeds to use to chuck pollen or breeders use. They've a lil cheaper and would be ok outdoors if you wasn't planting in container or beds....good guerilla growing with regular seeds. Unless I'm chucking pollen I don't need males myself. Most fem seeds have a lil trouble when they pop sometimes the seed hull will stick on the seedling. I use tweezers and very carefully slide the hull off when needed. After you get them growing it's on....females is what I like!!!!!!

I'm not sure what you would call "good," Beta. I like BB second-best (behind Flo) of all the strains I've grown. (Over 50.) I grow exclusively from seed, organically, in soil, as DJ Short recommends.

I don't keep clone mothers, so if I get a great plant, I bid a tearful farewell. So far I've only had a few plants that actually smelled and tasted like blueberries, but all have been better than good in their effect. The only exception was my first BB grow, which I screwed up by overfertilizing.

I don't know or associate with any other growers, so wouldn't know about trading clones or that kind of thing. I once tried to keep clone mothers, but found it to be too much trouble to keep them going.

BB is not the strongest pot in the world. I've grown other strains, like Kali Mist, Super Silver Haze, and Sour Diesel, that are more potent. But BB (and DJ's other strains) have this mellow, euphoric effect like no other weed that I've tried.

I think the big reason BB is not grown commercially is its low yields. If you're after big yields, BB is going to disappoint. BB is for those who want a lesser quantity of premier pot.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want Blueberry & yield...
You want Blue Moonshine!

Every single time I grow it I find at least one BB smelling type that holds the flavor well too. (BB muffins is the aroma most associate w BB varieties but every once in a while a straight BB syrup type comes through.

beta

Veteran
By 'good' I mean 'actually tastes like Blueberries'.

fwiw Triangle Kush is a horrible yielder and it's all over in the commercial scene. Its other qualities makes up for its shortcomings.

I hear story after story after story of people buying 'Blueberry' seeds and being seriously disappointed on all fronts. At this point I think a true Blueberry flavor is the snipe hunt of cannabis.

I'm not sure what you would call "good," Beta. I like BB second-best (behind Flo) of all the strains I've grown. (Over 50.) I grow exclusively from seed, organically, in soil, as DJ Short recommends.

I don't keep clone mothers, so if I get a great plant, I bid a tearful farewell. So far I've only had a few plants that sactually smelled and tasted like blueberries, but all have been better than good in their effect. The only exception was my first BB grow, which I screwed up by overfertilizing.

I don't know or associate with any other growers, so wouldn't know about trading clones or that kind of thing. I once tried to keep clone mothers, but found it to be too much trouble to keep them going.

BB is not the strongest pot in the world. I've grown other strains, like Kali Mist, Super Silver Haze, and Sour Diesel, that are more potent. But BB (and DJ's other strains) have this mellow, euphoric effect like no other weed that I've tried.

I think the big reason BB is not grown commercially is its low yields. If you're after big yields, BB is going to disappoint. BB is for those who want a lesser quantity of premier pot.

thejact55

I said legendary, not 'good'. :p

I have never once had a legendary Blueberry. There isn't a legendary blueberry cut that's commonly passed around, as far as I know. What Blueberry is notorious for is people buying seeds, growing them, and being disappointed.

OG, GG#4, GSC, SD, etc are not 'flavors of the month'. They are clearly legendary cultivars that have and will continue to withstand the test of time. They will continue to be commonly found in gardens all over the world unless something better comes along.

Read that last sentence again. Isnt that the exact definition of flavor of the month? Dont act like some of those are strains that were made through dedication, time and hard work. GG4 sure wasnt. Those are instagram strains, hype. SD, and OG, ok you have a point maybe. I dunno, cut only strains are dumb. Anyone can get the quality of those cut only deals, just grow alot of plants.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By 'good' I mean 'actually tastes like Blueberries'.

fwiw Triangle Kush is a horrible yielder and it's all over in the commercial scene. Its other qualities makes up for its shortcomings.

I hear story after story after story of people buying 'Blueberry' seeds and being seriously disappointed on all fronts. At this point I think a true Blueberry flavor is the snipe hunt of cannabis.

You have the right to believe what you want.
I see plenty of folks that grow & enjoy Blueberry tasting buds from seed, myself included.

How the hell did this get turned into a Blueberry thread anyway?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
Yeah man. Even Nirvana's Blue Mystic will give you a good blueberry plant, and they're super cheap. I also have run Chimera's Ulti-mix and got a good blueberry.
None of them were great yielders, but they definitely had the blueberry taste!

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
You have the right to believe what you want.
I see plenty of folks that grow & enjoy Blueberry tasting buds from seed, myself included.

How the hell did this get turned into a Blueberry thread anyway?

Yea that's what I was thinking lol....kinda why I didn't get into the Dutch Passion BB beening better than DJ Shorts True Blueberry..,,but this isn't a BB thread. However the first fem seeds I ran was DP BB!!!!!

beta

Veteran
Read that last sentence again. Isnt that the exact definition of flavor of the month? Dont act like some of those are strains that were made through dedication, time and hard work. GG4 sure wasnt. Those are instagram strains, hype. SD, and OG, ok you have a point maybe. I dunno, cut only strains are dumb. Anyone can get the quality of those cut only deals, just grow alot of plants.

Can you read? I literally said that all of those strains are the result of accidental hermie cross pollination.

I *guarantee* you cannot find a better plant than real deal Sour Diesel picking through seeds. You don't have the space or the time. Plants like that are a 1 in a million occurrence.

GG4 is not a flavor of the month, it's been one of the most popular clones on the planet for nearly 5 years running.

djimb

Veteran
GG4 is not a flavor of the month, it's been one of the most popular clones on the planet for nearly 5 years running.

When was the last time you ate a McIntosh apple? Folks used to love those, right? In the 20th century, they made up 40% of the Canadian apple market, and while I couldn't find numbers for the US market in the 5 minutes I was looking, they were popular enough that Apple named computers after them for over a decade. These days, though people are crazy for Honeycrisp, Gala, and Pink Lady. Even Fuji is falling out of favor, and I haven't seen a McIntosh in a grocery store in years.

Apple trees are a lot longer lived and slower to develop than cannabis. Apple seedlings take 10 years to set fruit, and the original McIntosh tree was about 100 years old when it finally died.

The point I'm trying to make is that 5 years in an agricultural industry isn't very long.

How long do you think folks are going to hold onto their GG4 clones? How long do you think the demand will be high?

Considering that elite clones, like popular apple varieties, are most often chance seedlings that are discovered rather than intentionally bred, and considering that more and more individuals, not to mention larger and larger companies, are growing Cannabis as legalization spreads, the chances of exceptional seedlings popping up in someone's garden or some commercial op's field/greenhouse/warehouse is increasing exponentially.

The varieties of Cannabis that truly last the test of time seem to be the ones that will reliably pass on exceptional traits to their offspring. Haze is a prime example. For the last 50 years, people have been growing, smoking, breeding with, and talking about Haze and its offspring. If you grew out a pack of Tom Hill's line, or Ace's, or even Seedsman's (not sure if It's still available), you'd probably find at least one plant you'd be happy to keep around for a good long while. If you want something faster and more manageable, there are scores of haze hybrids available that are also seen as desirable (Neville's Haze, Jack Herrer, SSH, Blue Dream, etc.)

GG4, being an individual plant that arose from an F1 generation of a cross of an F1 generation of a relatively stable line (Chem) and an F1 of two other relatively stable lines (Sour Diesel x Sour Bubble), is most likely not a plant that will reliably pass on exceptional traits.

Cultivated apple trees are all grafted cuttings of exceptional seedlings. They don't come true from seed. If you planted an apple seed from your favorite variety, you'd most likely end up with a thorny tree that has serrated leaves and bears small, astringent, unpleasant fruit. GG4 S1s are at least more pleasant than that, but they're still not GG4.

GG4 is like the McIntosh. It will enjoy a fair amount of popularity, and may even command a cult following a couple decades from now, like the pre-98 Bubba Kush, but I doubt it will see the longevity of Haze or Granny Smith.

*edit: again, got the lineage of GG4 from s e e d finder.

Last edited:

djimb

Veteran
I've grew fem seeds since they were first available. It's saved me a bunch of money because I don't have to transplant males into a expensive soil mix....also space for indoors. Mainly people like regular seeds to use to chuck pollen or breeders use. They've a lil cheaper and would be ok outdoors if you wasn't planting in container or beds....good guerilla growing with regular seeds. Unless I'm chucking pollen I don't need males myself. Most fem seeds have a lil trouble when they pop sometimes the seed hull will stick on the seedling. I use tweezers and very carefully slide the hull off when needed. After you get them growing it's on....females is what I like!!!!!!

Thanks for staying on topic WVKind! We're all getting a little side tracked (myself included). Do you veg indoors before you plant out? I have to wonder what the guerilla crowd spends on seed every year if they're growing from fems. I guess if It's a commercial endeavor the cost of seed is more than made up for by the profit from the bud, but do you have any lines that you've made seed for?

insomniac_AU

It's a wonderful time for the Cannabis plant. I bet there are more cannabis seeds (and plants for that matter) on the planet now than there ever has been. At least we can all be happy about that. The internet combined with growing acceptance mean more and more breeding is happening and more people are preserving precious genetics. Looking good for the future.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Thanks for staying on topic WVKind! We're all getting a little side tracked (myself included). Do you veg indoors before you plant out? I have to wonder what the guerilla crowd spends on seed every year if they're growing from fems. I guess if It's a commercial endeavor the cost of seed is more than made up for by the profit from the bud, but do you have any lines that you've made seed for?

I'm an old indoor guy mainly...but I've moved back home to the Appalachia Mtns and the itch to get back in the Mtns growing again has hit me. Well I'm gonna run maybe 20+ container plants I mainly will use Fem seeds....and maybe 50-75 guerilla spots I'm using a lot of standard stuff maybe a fem here or there. About Veg time indoors I'm getting a lil late start because my seeds were to old to germ and I've been waiting on orders....I've got almost everything now. I'm just running my seedlings under flurosent for a few weeks before I'll slowly ease them to the sunlight. If I had my indoor grow lights I'd probably veg a mounth maybe 6wks my fem seeds not so long with standard. But these guys guerilla growing 500+ spots fem seeds is gonna get expensive. Myself if I have over 100 plants this here it will be enough for me. I'm on track to have around 50 fem seeds so I'm not out a whole lot .....next yr if things go good this yr I'm gonna do 300-500 plants outdoors

bleedsgreen

I don't keep clone mothers, so if I get a great plant, I bid a tearful farewell. So far I've only had a few plants that actually smelled and tasted like blueberries, but all have been better than good in their effect. The only exception was my first BB grow, which I screwed up by overfertilizing.

I had some amazing BB in Amsterdam in the mid 80's at he time I was told it was Barneys but I don't believe that as I have grown out over 20 packs of Barneys BB and never found one similar to that original. Since I have grown out other BB, Dutch Passion, DJ and others. All were low yields I only ever found 2 pheno's worth continuing just for taste, the are good day time smoke, get you high but up lifting and great BB flavor. These only get shared with friends when the wife or I bring it out as I am luck to get a Z or 2 of a plant that veg for 4 - 6 weeks. So I do believe you can find a great tasting BB it just takes time and will never make the rotation to a cash crop so you won't find it for sale imo.

thejact55

Can you read? I literally said that all of those strains are the result of accidental hermie cross pollination.

I *guarantee* you cannot find a better plant than real deal Sour Diesel picking through seeds. You don't have the space or the time. Plants like that are a 1 in a million occurrence.

Sorry beta. Was in a poopy mood when i posted, so i guess i was in an argueing mood. No doubt using these clones save alot of people time in sorting through. Different strokes for different folks. It isnt my cup of tea, but there is no issue with this scenario.i just have a hard time getting on board with these accidents, and calling them being the geatest thing sinced sliced bread. Maybe from a smoking stand point they are though. Kind of a sign of the times, similar to music, movies and whatever else, just a quick gimmick to make a buck, then its gone. Either way, i find myself reverting back to maybe a standoffish attitude, when i started typing to apologize. Sorry for the rude comment, enjoy what makes you happy.

beta

Veteran
Sorry beta. Was in a poopy mood when i posted, so i guess i was in an argueing mood ... Either way, i find myself reverting back to maybe a standoffish attitude, when i started typing to apologize. Sorry for the rude comment, enjoy what makes you happy.

No worries, I could have been a little more polite myself. :biggrin:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
I held off on using feminized seeds for a long time on general principle, I guess. But I tried 5 GH Super Lemon Haze feminized seeds, and got two awesome keepers, so I'm very glad I finally tried fems!

Gry

Would not be at all surprised to find it traced back to an old piece out of high times.

They were good at extrapolation in the early years.

ahortator

Veteran
I have grown two S1 feminized seeds made by a friend using the same STS spraying method as most seedsbanks here, and the plants are really weaker than the same strain in male/female form. I don't know if it is only bad luck, but some friends told me about the same problem in feminized seeds even if they are not S1.

If you only grow for fuds, feminized seeds are OK. But for us pollen chuckers it is a bit anoying to find that some seedsbanks only sell seeds in feminized form. As human greed is making to dissapear my old vegetable and fruit strains or heven heirlooms, I presume this is going to become worse in the future.

There are too many strains lost even when you can make seeds properly. It is not extremely difficult to made seeds form only females, but not everybody know or are willing to make seeds. And all of us must rely on others to get our strains at first.