What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hail Hydro 2.0: New Beginnings

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had a brain fart for new seedlings. At this point they are fragile and susceptible to drown due to over watering.

I have hypodermic syringes and needles. Injecting a small amount of nutes around the developing tap root should expedite root, and therefor plant development

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just came up with an idea to replace air stones for seedling development by combining 2 hydro technologies.

My starter tote is partially set up with a drain that is capped off. I will remove the shut off valve to make way for the pvc inflow to create a low pressure aero system that drains back to a rez. I have most of the parts.

Parts needed; pvc tube plus end cap, a couple low pressure mist heads, high volume low pressure pump and a deep cycle timer as they do not need/want more than 30 second wet cycles (10-15 probably better) and ~ 1-3 minute off cycles

Stay tuned

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I added 25ml of EH Root Wizard today in hopes of amping up root development. I need to get the 2 largest out of the bubbler ASAP and into individual totes and under the Amare P3. Moving them will also let me experiment with replacing the stones with low pressure aeroponics. The thing is I need a low height igloo (can't find one) or tote that will hold ~ 3-4 gallons that allows the bulkhead fitting drain back. I saw a tote at HD that might work

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just finished setting up the tent with the Amare P3 (300w) and transferred the 2 that cracked on 5/27

A lesson I learned was t do a wet sans lid to check water/nute level. Lat 2 times I assumed, and we know where that takes us. Those plants were barely getting fed at a crucial time in their development. That said they are doing well, but who's to know how much bigger they might have been

Nutes are NPK Grow and silica + Starwest Botanicals yucca ($8.50/4oz), and Emerald Harvest Root Wizard total @ < 400ppm, pHed ~ 6.0

I mix in a blender then add to the 2 gallons of RO water ~ 11ppm

I still need to add an inline venturi

The last pic is pre moving the 2 largest from the bubbler that is under the Transcendent T5 leds

View attachment 417676 View attachment 417677 View attachment 417678 View attachment 417679

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Plants under the LED t5s were not really taking off, partially due to being too far from the light, while raising the plants up (light fixture is fixed), I decided to change to fresh nutes as well

Seeds cracked around June 4th

Roots look pretty good

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been foliar spraying 1-3xs/day, ans noticed a lot of yellowing leafs when I shouldn't have any

I wrote to Harley Smith of NPK:

What RAW products and in what ratios, as well as how often do you recommend for a foliar spray...

There are several RAW products that can be used in a foliar spray. My favorites are a combination of RAW Kelp, RAW Full Up and RAW Yucca. Use the low dose on the instructions and spray no more than once a week during veg and early flowering. Once every two or three weeks will still have a noticeable effect on the plant.

Some of the other RAW products can also be used for foliar feeding, but they are usually reserved for treating specific nutrient deficiencies.

Hope this helps!

Harley Smith
Director of Research
NPK University

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It occurred to me to flush the individual plants in RO water to clean any salts that might have built up in the coco. I did that yesterday after posting

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Resurrection, or surviving a near-death experience :wallbash: :jump:

If you compare previous photos you can see that the leafs are no longer drooping and are greening up, plus new leafs popping up, thanks to new roots are beginning to develop

I mean these girls were approaching death, as can be seen with the lower leafs which are dead

It's a tribute to how resourceful these plants are, giving up lower leafs to survive in hopes that the idiot grower will get his shit together

View attachment 418708 View attachment 418709

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
WooHoo, the big lanky plant on the left has pistils, so I added one gallon of early flower mix to kick it in gear. Ah SHIT, I added EH nutes. Oh well, I'll drain and start with RAW Flower nutes tomorrow

I cut the 4 large primary leafs off the plant on the right, and it 's already perking up, though way behind

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nute changed to RAW this morning

Smaller plant continues to stretch now that I removed the 4 large primary leafs

I moved the fence to the taller, lankier, and multi-branched plant

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have noticed leaf droop throughout the starter tote over the last 4-5 days, so I just dumped those nutes and made fresh, mixing each of the following to half what the directions say and per 2 gallons of RO, instead of one.

silica + NPK yucca & grow, humic acid and EH root wizard

Even at half strength and twice the water TDS 642, I should have checked before pouring it into the bubble tote, as I want it under 300 at this stage

6.8 pH lowered to 6.1

Checking the roots while the plants were out, almost no new roots developing (bad sign), so I dunked each plant up to the gravel line into the fresh nutes. Hopefully I dogged another bullet

While I had the tote out I replaced a taller kitty liter bucket with a shorter as one plant was pushing up against the led t5 light fixture

Hopefully the next few days will be encouraging

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't believe it took me until one year ago to get a shop vac.

I sucked out ~ 1.2 gallons (in under 30 seconds, with no spills) and refilled with pure ro water. TDS now barely 300 ppms

Let the healing begin