What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BLUNT_69 building a SWC + Drip Hydro (for all you cab growers)

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
Only a few more things left to do and it's time for the
Blunt_69 Gets Serious thread!!!

Haps-No airstones, using airstrips this time in hopes of non clogging.Ran with stones iun the past, way to involved to deal with when a stone died. Still need to drill holes for the airhoses.
The trays do not sag and are quite abit stiffer then rubbermaids, well check em out these updates show it!

Happy to report that everything is going according to plan.. This project is taking a bit longer then anticipated, but it's getting close!!

Shot after trays and Res are in position, dont wanta walk on that tex..
9118newspiky.jpg

The new trays holding water, leak free!!! New drainage
9118new_drain.jpg

New leveling lines working perfectly!!
9118new_levelinghoses.jpg

The back tray same level as the rest !!
9118newbacktrays.jpg

Top of the table, still have to drill holes for airlines, re-panda plastic... Done!
9118newnotspikey.jpg

Everythings working!!! :headbange :headbange
9118newholdingwater.jpg

Almost time to load em up!

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
Alright, just need my feeder lines and im good to go.. You may have noticed i have two pumps this time. This is just to make my life easier when flushing is concerned...The top trays eventually will have a release valve for flushing top trays.

Before.. clogged piece of @&*#

9118clogged324.jpg

After.. bubblewall
9118bubbling.jpg

9118bubblewall.jpg

9118bubblewall2.jpg

im running dual output pumps coupled together for more pressure.

Last edited:
V

vhGhost

BLUNT looking good bro.. bet you just can't wait to get the girls going again :D

Blunt_69

Veteran
You betcha VH!! All within the startup time to perpetually harvest every three months!!

Trays are done!!!Pressure, testing succesfull! The upgrade was smooth but time consuming. I think they came out very nice. What do you guys think??

THE REAL DEAL
9118in_and_out_.jpg

top cleaned up!!
9118top_finished.jpg

9118topefinished.jpg

Blunt_69

Veteran
few more with some new ladies loaded, yes they are looking a tad sick!!!
nothing the trays cant cure!!

shot of drip feed and bubbling action
9118Picture_0021.jpg

Last edited:
V

vhGhost

i'm diggin your tray dude... great idea .. i had the same thing going on but drip buckets on f/d table ... kinda the same idea but not really.... ... hehehe and i've got the same temp/Rh meter... great work again!!!

Blunt_69

Veteran
wha....wa....what..upgrade????

Thanks VH, hopefully this ends all possibilities of leaking, and the airstrip is replacable. I couldnt belive even drilled out airstones clogged on me.

The Rez now circulates, as well as the main trays. Water is now forced to flow from the drainage side towards the pump side(it's acually kinda cool to just trip out on!!). I have also increased the water level in the trays, about a 1/2 inch. Hopefully this promotes some more root growth.

91182e2finfshe.jpg

9118tuckedsds.jpg

When i first started this creation(magic trays) I figured it would fail terribly, i was just a newby back then! I was wrong.

The magic trays have by far exceeded all expectations, so i figured they were due for a facelift!!Now that i have everything dialed in, the improved design should improve overall health.

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Sterilite should send you a sponsors jacket dude. Thanks for showing us your rig. How about explaining what and why you cut in your pruning, I understand the bottom stuff, but how do you chose higher up? I'm trying to improve my skills, yeah that's a compliment.
H

edit - those backflow traps on the air tubes cut down the air by 50% m/l on my pumps, when I checked both ways. A loop above the water line will do it without the worry or restriction.

Last edited:

Blunt_69

Veteran
LOL, I was just messing around!! dont even need those I just figured i'd stick em on never use the bloody things!

Haps, Stay tuned I will be creating a new thread to show how i get 2-4 main colas per plant.

My xmas gift thread showes some of the pruneing technique i use.

G

Thanks for the design blunt! This setup would work absolutely perfect for the mommas in my cab =]

yeh i totaly just like wet myself looking at this system man ... im still young into hydroponics and dont understand alot but ive got one plant in a dwc bubbler bucket i made from one of the tuts on here or some other site i forgot lol...but yeh good grow man

2 thumbs High?

G

Here's a diagram of my DWC (it's jimmy rigged because I didn't have the necessary tools to make it streamlined... but it works :moon: )

also assume that there are 9 sites... not three. i didn't want to clutter up the diagram

The way this works to recirculate throughout all 3 tubs without having three pumps is simply by using gravity. The outer tubs are sitting on bricks to raise them so that the water level is balanced between all 3 and is flowing regularly.

Here's a diagram of how to make your own water level gauge (4a)

And here are some photos of their progress... (northern lights pure indica)

hogwild

this is very similar to my system, ill show you it when its complete. Blunt inspired design, modified for summer with dopeys DIY chiller... thanks for the ideas bro...

Hey, Blunt, just wanted to stop and and say great setup! Your other shows in your sig have been wonderful as well. :)

Just out of curiosity, what advantages do you see your setup having as opposed to 6 recirculating DWC buckets in the same footprint under the same light?

Also, have you ever used two 600W lamps in place of one 1000W lamp?

Blunt_69

Veteran
Krustytheclown

Advantages.

-Buckets do not have to be raised resulting in more vertical growing space
-No external Rez - mega compact space savings
-almost zero radient heat transfer to trays themselves from the lights.The plywood basically seperates the 2 piece pots/tray SWC system.
-REZ stayes cool because it is sitting on the floor spread out over more surface area.
-simple design results in a scalable system.
-built in protection, failure of lines/pump drainage.The system cannot go completely dry. Have about a 12-hour timeframe.
-CLEAN SETUP!!

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head.
I havent tried using two 600s. I can cool a 1k in my small confinment so two 600 would be possible. The 1k however, does get even light distibution resulting in fat colas in every part of the area.

take care!!and thankyou!

Last edited:

Ryu

Sure is tastey reading your threads through Blunt_69. Learn't a lot, thanks.

Also, I have read so much conflicting stuff on trimming that i'm sure your future pruning thread will be a juicey one also.

Cheers for be so open with ideas

Blunt_69

Veteran
No problem man!! glad you stopped in. Ive always tried to keep things as simple yet telling, so that others can learn more quickly then myself!! took me a long time before i felt confident enought ot build the trays!! Im glad i did!! they work awsome!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts