What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Lights ON

Lights ON

Today I picked up 12 Cheese clones, not all of them are showing roots. I was aiming for 20 clones, but my friend only had 12.

I filled my res with water from one of my aquariums, so they will be running on fish poo the first days.

Put a few plastic bags over them, to keep the humidity up.
Now we'll just have to wait and see, how many of the clones not showing roots will make it.
Veg the survivors, take a bunch of clones and fill the room later. :tiphat:

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Nifty! Room/door are looking dope!
About to take a handful of Cheese clones myself off the mom we've been prepping. Going to end up in a recirc system in about half the size of your room. Should be interesting/hectic.

Are you going to end up screening/trellising?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Nifty! Room/door are looking dope!
About to take a handful of Cheese clones myself off the mom we've been prepping. Going to end up in a recirc system in about half the size of your room. Should be interesting/hectic.

Are you going to end up screening/trellising?

If all 12 clones will makes it, im thinking about running a SCROG and fill the table that way.

C

Chipleader

i wonder how did you use ur fish poo ??
do you mix it with water ? do you check pH and ec before ? if so how much ?
Or did u use it pure ?
anyway i grab seat i m curious to see how it will go !:tiphat:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
i wonder how did you use ur fish poo ??
do you mix it with water ? do you check pH and ec before ? if so how much ?
Or did u use it pure ?
anyway i grab seat i m curious to see how it will go !:tiphat:

I just took 150-200 liters of water from one of my aquariums, I did nothing to it. Took a Ec readin at 1.0 mS, my tap is 0.9 mS so fairly high. Only just got my pH pen up and running, the prope needed a 24h dunk in prope storage solution.

Im only now adjusting the pH, using H3Po4 and will see what the Ec will land at once pH adjusted. I might end up having to use rainwater or R/O water, to get my Ec lowered. Im in a hard water area, with a lot of calcium.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
pH was 7.5

Lowered it to 6.2 pH, but the Ec has risen to 1.6 mS.
so I have added 10 Liters of tab water, and 3 large chunks of frozen Rain water.

Hoping it will lower the Ec, without raising the pH too much.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Lovely work bro! I’ve been following even if I haven’t been commenting. It’s really coming along nicely.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Lovely work bro! I’ve been following even if I haven’t been commenting. It’s really coming along nicely.

Lurkers are welcome too :thank you:

Today I desided to change the reservior, I think maybe the pH issues are cause by the fish poo or something.
I did a small pH test on a smaller amount of tab water, where I didn't have as high a Ec readin, when I hit 5.5 pH. Still running hot, but it's a improvement.

Aquarium water will have to wait, I'll try that for veg on a later point. Atm I just wanna get back to growing!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Have changed the res. again, pH adjusting the water just makes it to hot for these little plants.

Tab water 0.9Ec / 7.5pH

Palindrome

King of Schwag
My wonderful wife just came in, with a pack of seeds I forgot all about.
Apparently it's been in the fridge, for the past many years.

The awesome awesome part, was inside the pack I at some point had slipped another pack with 10 Nephthys seeds. Nephthys was a breeding project, I had been working on for some years when I was busted.

Now I just put em back in to the fridge, I won't touch them until im back on track.

But I am thinking the way to go, would be sprouting them. And do a multi polination, with what ever males and females I get from the 10 seeds.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Grow room temps have been very low, as im only running 400 watt light in there atm. As all the clones don't have root's yet, I don't want them to try starting to grow before all clones have roots.

Got a heater today, as the winter seems to keep on. Im sure this will help the plants root faster, but still waiting for the thermostat i brought on E-bay.

Still working on the garage, as I cut the workbence down in size. To make room for the flower room, but I need my workspace right.
The old toolwall I had to take down, I turned into a workbench table top, after I removed all the screws.
Only problem is, how I was gonna fit everything in? The new workbench, is a fair bit larger then what I removed. The only good space, was where my table/chop saw was standing.

Solution?

Build the saw into the workbench

The workbench have wheels, so I can move it around in the garage.
The saw blade can be lowered, if I need to free the surface of the whole table.
Still need little work, making some shelves for screws, bolts and nuts on the side.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Veg closet design

Veg closet design

The clones are starting to look a little better, but there are still 3-4 of them I don't know if they will make it. The temps are a lot better, my thermometers are still in the mail. Expecting them to arrive short after the easter holidays, so I can monitor RH and temps.

Now that I am getting "done" with the garage, I am starting to plan and buy parts for the veg closet.

The veg space will be a double closet, messuring about 120x230 cm (4x7½ ft).
With a mix of LED and HID light, to maximise the grow space. And to give LED a try, as I see more and more convert to LED for both veg and flower.
I have been reading about all the new LED Chips, and the choice have fallen on cheap 12V LED Hard strips.

Also been looking into the 24 V Samsung LEDs, but I've found it a challenge to find a vendor who would sell me a small enough amount. Not to talk about the price + shipping and import tax.
With all that, and the fact im mainly gonna use the light for plant storage. I hope the cheap 12V strips will be sufficient, if not I can always change them to Samsung stips in the future.

I wan't to be able to collect and store moms, and maybe a few males. But just to keep them a live, as small bonzai trees in 1 gal fabric pots.
Then rotate the moms I want to clone, into the HID veg area. After repotting it to a 2 gal fabric pot, and once im done with her. Trim her down, top and bottom and repot her back into a 1 gal pot.

The airflow is going from a passive cold air intake, from outside and into a small lung room in the closet. Im also gonna place the LED controllers, in this space behind the clone area.

The Clone area, will just have a 100% passive air exchange. Thru a perferated plate in the back wall, as clones don't need that much air flow.

In the mom storage room, the air will be pulled thru by vacum. From the lung room, into the HID veg area.
Thru the top part and out thru a carbon scrubber, up into the garage attic. All pulled by one of the 4" intakes on the Cooltube fan, for the flower area.

For the LED Veg/storage area, I have ordered 15 x 12 watt 'Super bright cool white' hard strips. Hoping they will be around 4000 K, time will tell when shopping in china.
4x 10 watt strips for Clones, but they are 6500 K. I have before had good results with rooting clones under 6500 K fluro tubes.

It's all a test with the LED's and I know it can turn out to be shit, on the other hand it might be all right. And for 66 $ all incl. LED controllers and alu hard strip LED's, I figured it was worth a try.

For the HID light I plan to use a Digital Lumatek 250 Watt MH, that I can dim down to 150 Watt if needed.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Full LED Closet

Full LED Closet

Another idea is going full LED

Basic the layout is the same, just making two equal sized rooms.

As I don't have the HID ballast, I will play with the LED strips and see how they preform. Before I spend money, on buying a HID light.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I think you'll dig the LED's.
Think you'll need a heatsink or some active cooling on the mom storage panels? I'm guessing 8 strips per mom area?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
I think you'll dig the LED's.
Think you'll need a heatsink or some active cooling on the mom storage panels? I'm guessing 8 strips per mom area?

I hope so too, we will see.

The idea is 15 x 10 watt hard strips running at 12 V, might be too much.
From what I read, I can't expect too much from the cheap no name 12 V chips.
So I have ordered some 24 volt no name hard strips too, so I might end up mixing everything.

I don't know how much extra heatsink will be needed, the hard strips are an alu strip with LED's mounted directly onto. If needed, they can slide into a extra Alu heatsink.

My idea is to use 3 LED controllers, as I don't want to mug around with dimming. Giving me the option, to just turn some of the strips off.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
As a test I have repotted 4 plants into coco, on top of a bed of hydroton.
Collected some rain water, pH adjusted it and added 1-1-1 Grow, micro and bloom.
Til I hit a Ec of 0.7 and I'll be hand watering thouse plants, to see how they handle it.

I have ordered a RO filter, and I'll start collecting rain water once I find a good tank for it.