What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why grow hemp?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I found this wild hemp field in 1975, in northwest Missouri...It was at least 80 acres...

I dried and smoked some, (who wouldn't have tried that in 1975?) but didn't get any kind of buzz at all...
Similar to if I smoked dried leaves I found in the woods...

I did the same thing in 1973. An associate of mine convinced me to drive to this field in Northern Indiana. When we got there, there were hemp plants 10, 12 feet tall.

We chopped down about a dozen plants and raced home. I didn't know male from female plants back then, didn't even know male plants weren't for smoking.

I ended up with about five pounds of green dust that you could smoke, but it would not get you high.

Ah, good times!

Awesome thread! So great to see IC embracing the hemp revolution.

Feminized hemp seed is a real thing and, yes, we sell it in the states to federally legal, state licensed growers. Old chuck is right, we have a minimum order that seems large (5k seeds), but works out to about 2.5 acres worth of plants. We set this minimum because we choose to work with production farmers (rather than hobbyists). We spend a lot of time providing advice, conducting site visits, updating clients on policy changes etc. (for free), advancing our breeding work, and operating our own farm sites (6 in 2017); we didn't feel like we could provide the same level of support to smaller buyers and maintain the overall quality we strive for.

The comments earlier about hemp breeding being difficult due to issues with the plants are accurate. There is a tendency towards sterility on the CBD side and it sets in rather quickly. That is part of the reason why many of the more successful farms in Colorado (and elsewhere) use tissue culture for reproduction. FWIW, there's a strong relationship between the rooting time on clones and the plant's ability to produce viable pollen; our lines that take 3-4 weeks to root can make seed, but not viable pollen. The other scientists we work with are baffled by this feature as much as we are. Crossing siblings instead of selfing in the line breeding process helps, but makes the achievement of homozygosity impossible. Tough options for breeders! We still believe that growing from seed is the best way forward (vs. TC or traditional cloning), but I can tell you that our focus for 2018 lines has definitely changed. 2016 was all about meeting the 0.3% THC requirement (federal definition); our released lines for 2017 do the same while upping total cannabinoid content and allowing for the earliest harvests possible with photoperiod plants. Our 2018 breeding efforts are headed in two separate directions: (1) mass production and mechanized harvest / drying with 10%-12% lines and (2) ultra-high content early varieties (15%+). Keep in mind that these are scientifically valid CBD percentages, not the inflated versions you can obtain from non-certified labs. Oregon forced all of their cannabis testing labs to obtain third party accreditation through NELAP (National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program) and the results have been pretty remarkable; it turns out that most 20% THC or CBD clones are actually closer to 14%-15% when trimmed and 10%-12% if handled / processed like large scale hemp farms do.

For the first few years of this new hemp revolution, farmers were just trying to get their hands on seed capable of producing a little bit of CBD--2%-3% was good enough for mass extraction purposes. European varieties were imported and seed was pretty cheap ($20 a kilo). First year farmers often see a kilo of Finola seed advertised as 2% CBD and get excited about making money growing acres, which is what some were doing until 2016--then the bottom fell out.

The only farmers able to sell their crops after this season (in Oregon anyway) grew very high CBD content flowers (10%+). Extraction facilities are realizing that low CBD content varieties are not economically viable (a point we've been highlighting for 2 years now), since high content material yields orders of magnitude more oil that is much also higher quality (terpene rich). Unless you are running a 12k liter CO2 extraction system, only high content material will do. The same goes for drying now as well; we've had conversations with VERY large farms in Kentucky who offer their high CBD content plant material for fire-sale prices, but they quick dry it in high temperature kilns and vaporize all the terpenes--rendering it useless outside of making CBD isolate. Just like in regular cannabis farming, you have to properly dry and cure your material if you want it to be high enough quality to move in a competitive market!

Last line in a long response (sorry!): take a good long look at what is happening in the US in the hemp industry. This is how 80% of all cannabis will be produced in 10 years.

oldchuck

Veteran
Mr. Ecologist, your expertise is appreciated. Question: what happens to cannabinoid ratios/percentages when you cross a low cannabinoid hemp like Finola with a high THC variety like most of us grow? AT the F1 or at the F3. No special selection, selfing, or cloning.

Mr. Ecologist, your expertise is appreciated. Question: what happens to cannabinoid ratios/percentages when you cross a low cannabinoid hemp like Finola with a high THC variety like most of us grow? AT the F1 or at the F3. No special selection, selfing, or cloning.

Hey oldchuck,

You'll have 1:1's in the F1 (both THC and CBD synthases active), but an overall cannabinoid content in the 5%-6% range if starting with a very high content THC mother. The ratio should also be skewed towards THC (I would guess 1:2 CBD:THC), as Finola does not have a high starting ratio (15:1) and that ratio is heritable as you proceed with line breeding. Best way to visualize what happens next is with a Punnet square, using the following:

T=active THC synthase
t=inactive THC synthase
D=active CBD synthase
d=inactive CBD synthase

Your F1 is: Tt Dd
Open pollination in the F1 is: (Tt Dd) x (Tt Dd)

Which leads to the following genotypes in the F2:
picture.php

Roughly 18.8% will be high CBD, but will require leaf ratio analysis to confirm. Note the difference here from de Meijer's (2003) and GW's work because of their incorrect monogenic hypothesis. They are correct about the functional breeding outcomes (1:2:1), with one small difference (which should be obvious after adding up the totals...). All will be relatively low cannabinoid content due to Finola being in the mix.

oldchuck

Veteran
Okay, thank you. Next question: What do you think of all the supposedly high CBD seeds suddenly on offer at the big seed outlets?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
folks shooting for a share of the CBD oil sales taking place here in the south, maybe. there is really no "legal" way to get it, so families with sick kids are buying it anywhere they can find it, & praying it is the real thing. these fly-by-night assholes that take advantage of their desperation & sell them bogus shit should be castrated with chainsaws. your opinions, of course, may differ from mine.:tiphat:

Okay, thank you. Next question: What do you think of all the supposedly high CBD seeds suddenly on offer at the big seed outlets?

I favor a language change re: "high CBD". "High CBD" means ratios over 20:1 to me, but it seems to mean 1:1 everywhere else. The only CBD-rich seeds I have seen advertised by the Dutch et al. are 1:1, which is the result of a high THC plant and a high CBD plant (my version). If you buy their work and self it / open pollinate, 18% will be high CBD and could pass hemp THC testing in some states, but will be so unstable (it's an F2) as to be problematic, unless growing out large numbers for selection and further inbreeding--but there's always the guaranteed possibility of truly exceptional plants in that generation (odds of discovery directly related to sample size and parental quality). What we choose in the F2 indelibly defines future lines (and us, I believe, as well).

Are there others that I haven't seen lately? I apologize if so, I'm pretty immersed. If it is as it was though, I think there are better options here in the states if you want plants that produce between 0%-1% THC. Tree of Life seeds offers the very popular "Cherry Wine" line and sells them in 10 packs of regular seed like traditional seed vendors (i.e. $14 a seed); we were just given some of their F3s of that line that a client purchased--growing them out to see if it's worth the hype. Most farmers here in Oregon liked the F1s and they were all 20:1+ from what we saw.

oldchuck

Veteran
That was my impression, S. I have not bought any because my reading tells me they would be far from stability, hit or miss. I will always marvel at the genetic diversity of Cannabis.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
I've always wondered how in earth do you use hemp seed for a fish bait...? :thinking:

because it's working.. like any other seed for that purpose.. no wait it's better..
it can be used naturally, crumbled, cooked, roasted, roasted grinded, stewed, boiled, and the bigger ones can be hooked.
it works because ofiots high oil content and fragrance under water.

fishes to use for : Cyprinus carpio, Barbus barbus, Abramis brama, Leuciscus idus, Tinca tinca, Rutilus rutilus, Ctenopharyngodon idella, these are freshwater species in europe... for ex.

http://www.fish-uk.com/fishing_baits_hemp_seed.htm

just read about it, and go get your fishes.. its not only good for freshwater species but it works on sea ..
and specially used by professionals on competition fishing.. thats why hempseed is a miracle.. it gave a few trophies to those who know what to use and when..

i hope it helps you some..

[YOUTUBEIF]TrXVcfdLoAM[/YOUTUBEIF]

hemp bomb = kender bomba fantasy name of thenew product hemp based feeding material + pop-up bait

Last edited:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
well, the how is described in the links, but promise me You will try it, if i write it step by step :D

but well, i feel that .. you are not a fisherman type, if not familiar with feeding methods of fishing, because the lures we use to catch small fishes are not much bigger than an average sized seed.. (worms..) hook sizes also as small they are preattached to the line because you cant make such small knots...
hook size : 18, 16 ...

kender04-300x605.jpg

step 1. .. get seeds.. big seeds.. 3 mm size strainer

kender01.jpg

step 2. put it in a pot with 4x times more water than seeds..

step 3. boil it up, with cover on top to keep most of the steam inside. (pressure cooker works good ) after it cook the seeds about 10-30 minutes depending if were prewet or not, the seeds will open up, thats the point, when hard enough to attach it on hooks, and soft enough to let the oils slowly out in the water when lured.

step 4. let it cool, than use it..

can be stored in airtight container in fridge for later usage about a week of time before rotting..
or freezer for more longer time

kender03.jpg

before using it, you must add fresh water on them, if it s too dry it will float
the season of using it, from experiences.. tells that it works better at spring and summertime, winter and cold autumn wont give you much

also the water which were used to cook the seeds in, can be used to make the feeding material..

the question was exactly quoted .. " [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]how in earth do you use hemp seed for a fish bait "

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to put it on hooks. is only one way. you can use it as bait.. more ways.. not only on hook..
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Aether

fishes to use for : Cyprinus carpio, Barbus barbus, Abramis brama, Leuciscus idus, Tinca tinca, Rutilus rutilus, Ctenopharyngodon idella, these are freshwater species in europe... for ex.

http://www.fish-uk.com/fishing_baits_hemp_seed.htm

just read about it, and go get your fishes.. its not only good for freshwater species but it works on sea ..
and specially used by professionals on competition fishing.. thats why hempseed is a miracle.. it gave a few trophies to those who know what to use and when..

i hope it helps you some..

[youtubeif]TrXVcfdLoAM[/youtubeif]

hemp bomb = kender bomba fantasy name of thenew product hemp based feeding material + pop-up bait

Wow thanks for that info! I read about it once from an article, it was one of the main uses in Europe for the hemp seed...

Aether

well, the how is described in the links, but promise me You will try it, if i write it step by step :D

also the water which were used to cook the seeds in, can be used to make the feeding material..

the question was exactly quoted .. " [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]how in earth do you use hemp seed for a fish bait "

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to put it on hooks. is only one way. you can use it as bait.. more ways.. not only on hook..
[/FONT]

heh, didn't figure out you must sprout the seeds and then use as a bait, of course! and the hemp oils are again working their magicks! intriguing indeed...so you can catch lots of cyprinids but what about perca fluviatilis, perch?

feeding material is what you pour into the water for the fish lure? what do you add to the boiling water?

Nughugger

Hemp is an excellent product applications for it are vast I say bring it on just keep it in the bible belt where good cannibis isn't grown

Latest posts

Latest posts