What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

IndoorMojo

pezoholic said:
ALL homeboxes are FINE
ALL Secret Jardins/Dark Rooms are FINE
Hydrohuts, Original Sunhut and other PVC tents ARE BAD

The light heats up the plastic releasing polyethylene gas that will yellow and kill most everything that lives

You couldn't be more wrong. HH's were never made from PVC and it's been told over and over and over. Secondly, it is the plasticisers from the plastics, not the plastics which outgas. PE and PU don't outgas. Certain plasticisers from any type of plastic will outgas. Only a few plastisicers will hurt plants at miniscule levels.

Homebox quietly changed mfrs a few years ago. I still own a homebox from Europe from 2004. It is very soft plastic just like the others were. Now homebox is a brittle PE. Before homebox changed its plastic there were problems in Spain around 04-05. I am writing to a Spanish wholesaler for his story on this as he swears he had trouble with his hombox sales.

Most importantly, homebox's test is complete crap. Yep, you actually just read me write that. I'll explain: Homebox very slyly ordered their test to the wrong standard. When ordering a plastics test you must specify to what standard you want the plastic tested. Homebox chose children's toys and household items. Big mistake. Children's toys are not enclosed tents with large heat sources, nor are household items. Homeboxes test clearly shows the test standard measured in milligrams. Plasticizers kill plants at the picogram level which means homebox's test couldn't even measure that minute amount because they chose the wrong standard. Why did they do this? They have no clue what the problem is about. To kill a plant it takes picograms to do it. To hurt a human it takes milligrams of that same plasticiser. So, stop wondering if any bad tents hurt humans--they do not. Please start wondering why homebox did this and then included bullshit to make everyone worry about human health. Totally unethical.

Homebox is not pristine and they in fact have a lot to answer for. There is a huge difference betweem 10 to the -3 and 10 to the -12 (where they were required to measure to. They do not and never have understood what makes the plants die. Homebox has been duping the world.

farmer jay

yeah, thats the one i have sundance. I need to know if this is giving any one else problems. that would greatly help me diagnose the issues im having. I really hope its not offgassing. my first run in that thing destroyed my plants. im on second run right now, i tweaked a few things in my ph and nutes and so far so good. ill keep you posted on the progress

neuroherb

Any recal list or list of those who sent back tents would be of no more use than a customer list from any grow supply shop. Neither of which would prove the customer did any more than by horticultural equipment.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sundance said:
Do you mean that this tent below is giving you troubles ?

LOL Sundance, I see you're up to your Hydrohut sales-talk in here too.. What a shill.. Desperate to find a problem with a Jardin tent or something too haha.

Anyways, no Jay's problem is not off-gassing.

farmer jay said:
When thrown into flowering the lower leaves start to brown from the tip to the center.

Based on Jay's description of the problem it is definitely not off-gassing, as he mentions they go brown from the bottom up, which isn't what happens to plants in a bad Hydrohut.. They go yellow from the top down, every time.

Jay - I saw your threads.. As I posted in one just now, the burn in flower looks like a severe magnesium deficiency to me, but definitely doesn't look any kind of off-gassing whatsoever.

I've never heard of a Secret Jardin tent with the "Hydrohut Syndrome" and the only silver lined tents I've heard of with a problem are the Sun Huts with a white floor made of the same material causing problems in the Hydrohut and other brands.

***Edited.. I originally thought Jay was growing in the darkroom from seedling to flower..

Last edited:

Sundance

Mr. Bongjangles said:
LOL Sundance, I see you're up to your Hydrohut sales-talk in here too.. What a shill.. Desperate to find a problem with a Jardin tent or something too haha.

Were this "Hydrohut Syndrome" he wouldn't even get past the seedling stage..

I've never heard of a Secret Jardin tent with the "Hydrohut Syndrome" and the only silver lined tents I've heard of with a problem are the Sun Huts with a white floor made of the same material causing problems in the Hydrohut and other brands.

Just using Farmer Jay's words ... to ask ... if that was the tent he claimed to have problems with ... although, I thought it was funny to use your picture ... Serendipity

Sorry to burst your little bubble Bo ... I am not up to .. or desperate for anything ... I have 2 brand new Hydro Hut silver lined replacement tents ... my plants are doing great ... I am very happy .. and life is great

Personally, I think its you Bo who is a shill ... Clearly you have no idea what your talking about ... and worse - your out to destroy another

Mr. Bongjangles said:
"Hydrohut Syndrome"
Why use this term as many other brand tents were affected besides Hydro Hut .. More like white plastic toxicity .. but I am not the expert you claim to be

Soe the wind ... reap the whirlwind

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sundance said:
Sorry to burst your little bubble Bo ... I am not up to .. or desperate for anything ... I have 2 brand new Hydro Hut silver lined replacement tents ... my plants are doing great ... I am very happy .. and life is great

Personally, I think its you Bo who is a shill ... Clearly you have no idea what your talking about ... and worse - your out to destroy another

Believe what you want.. Your posts make it obvious you're a shill...

I'll quote something I noticed in 3 different posts of yours in this thread alone:

Sundance said:
Hydro Hut has re-designed their tents - are using better and more reflective material (not plastic) ... and incorporated design changes that will make their tents better than before, and better than what is currently available from others in the market

Hydro Hut's new line of tents will be available " very soon " ... keep checking the website ....
Sundance said:
Hydro Hut has re-designed their tents - are using better and more reflective silver lined material ... and incorporated design changes that will make their tents better than before, and better than what is currently available from others in the market

Hydro Hut's new line of tents will be available " very soon " ... keep checking the website
Sundance said:
Hydro Hut is very much in business ... new product with better, safer, more reflective silver lined material, and newly incorporated design changes to make their tents better than before, and better than what is currently available from others in the market will be available very soon ...

Get real dude, you're like a broken record stuck on a sales pitch.

Yeah I'm out to "destroy" you.. Nah, just pointing out that you are in fact a "shill" and that your comments on the matter are not to be trusted. Best I can do for my peers.

You're the guy who was repeating every stupid "fix" back in the beginning of the problem too.. For example:

KillerQueen said:
Clean the inside of the hut with alcohol. Bleach is for pathogens, it doesn't help with chemicals. Alcohol is a solvent and will help remove any chemical residue that might be clinging to the PVC. (I used bleach water after the alcohol just to be safe since the Huts had already been in use.)

Hot soapy water on the poles. Bleach doesn't hurt, but don't leave out the hot or the soapy.

Sundance said:
Clean poles, off gassing, cleaning the tent as described above by KillerQueen should insure that all is well

How many people wahsed their tents with rubbing alcohol and dish soap cause of incorrect advice you passed on multiple times telling people it would help? No, you're the one who tells people to do things based on information you don't know to be true, causing them further problems.

Soe the wind ... reap the whirlwind, right?

Say what you want about me, but it only takes a moment to see that you're the shill and that you post things you don't know to be true. And that you've been some kind of Hydrohut cheerleader from the beginning of this whole mess.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=65544&userid=7202

Pretty funny when you see all your posts in that thread together...

You don't even do a good job of making it look like you're not a shill, repeating the same marketing bs over and over again word for word. You're a joke to me man, and I'll point it out anytime I catch you spewing your sales pitch.

We need people like neuroherb, not salesmen like you with nothing to add to the discussion other than the date hydrohut's new website opened, LOL.

Last edited:

neuroherb

Sorry folks but IMHO this hand bags at 40 paces between the HH & HB support crew just clouds the issue and does nothing to help those who have or are suffering from toxic tents. The constant labelling as Hydrohut Syndrome or Hydrohut this or that implies that it is only a Hydrohut issue and this is far from the case, but will be sufficient to make some searching to think its not there problem because they have some other brand of toxic tent.

Sundance

Mr. Bongjangles said:
Believe what you want.. Your posts make it obvious you're a shill...

I'll quote something I noticed in 3 different posts of yours in this thread alone:

Get real dude, you're like a broken record stuck on a sales pitch.

Yeah I'm out to "destroy" you.. Nah, just pointing out that you are in fact a "shill" and that your comments on the matter are not to be trusted. Best I can do for my peers.

You're the guy who was repeating every stupid "fix" back in the beginning of the problem too.. For example:

How many people wahsed their tents with rubbing alcohol and dish soap cause of incorrect advice you passed on multiple times telling people it would help? No, you're the one who tells people to do things based on information you don't know to be true, causing them further problems.

Soe the wind ... reap the whirlwind, right?

Say what you want about me, but it only takes a moment to see that you're the shill and that you post things you don't know to be true. And that you've been some kind of Hydrohut cheerleader from the beginning of this whole mess.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=65544&userid=7202

Pretty funny when you see all your posts in that thread together...

You don't even do a good job of making it look like you're not a shill, repeating the same marketing bs over and over again word for word. You're a joke to me man, and I'll point it out anytime I catch you spewing your sales pitch.

We need people like neuroherb, not salesmen like you with nothing to add to the discussion other than the date hydrohut's new website opened, LOL.

ROLMFAO

That the best you can do ?

I am just a guy who bought 2 toxic tents Hydro Hut tents just as the shit started to happen ... got caught up in it ... talked it up .. listened .. learned ... tried every fix that was suggested ... didnt work

At least Hydro Hut got off their ass and tried to do something about the problem ... unlike all the others

As for the rest - just trying to help .. and relaying what I learned

Whats your problem with that ?

I told my personal experience .. dont claim to speak for anyone but myself

Your nothing more than a child .. spewing stupid shit .. without knowing the truth .. all the facts ... and worse ... just out to destroy

Keep it up ... your getting exactly what you deserve

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
neuroherb said:
Sorry folks but IMHO this hand bags at 40 paces between the HH & HB support crew just clouds the issue and does nothing to help those who have or are suffering from toxic tents. The constant labelling as Hydrohut Syndrome or Hydrohut this or that implies that it is only a Hydrohut issue and this is far from the case, but will be sufficient to make some searching to think its not there problem because they have some other brand of toxic tent.

I don't appreciate your assertion that I am some kind of Homebox support crew.. If you can back that up by showing where i've not been objective, do so, otherwise, I consider that a baseless accusation.

I have Jardin tents actually, but I am not afraid to call someone out who is bashing on Homebox and can't back up their claims, which Sundance did in another thread and still has not offered any proof that they were ever involved. Maybe that's where you got the idea, I dunno.

Call it how you want, but this Hydrohut shill's useless posts in here, word for word repeats of the same marketing drivel, certainly don't do anything to help, and I think calling it out is fair and useful to everyone else reading along.. I think they should know the guy giving "big ups" to Hydrohut does nothing but spout their perspective on the matter and repeats information he doesn't know to be true. I damn sure don't do that..

As for "Hydrohut Syndrome" well I didn't make up the term but I do like it.. Its like "Lou Gehrig's disease." I do see your point about how it could cause someone to think the off-gassing thing is a just Hydrohut thing though, so I'll just call it off-gas poisoning from here on out.

Sundance said:
I am just a guy who bought 2 toxic tents Hydro Hut tents just as the shit started to happen ... got caught up in it ... talked it up .. listened .. learned ... tried every fix that was suggested ... didnt work

At least Hydro Hut got off their ass and tried to do something about the problem ... unlike all the others

As for the rest - just trying to help .. and relaying what I learned

No, your posting is not that of just a guy who just got some bad tents.

I've demonstrated by your own mindlessly repeated words that you're just a mouthpiece for Hydrohut marketing information. Disagree if you want, but your own words make the case crystal clear.

Hey everyone the new website is up!! visit today!! LOL!!!!

Just trying to help huh? By telling people to do something like you know it works, when you really don't?

Real helpful.. If you'd have just kept your mouth shut there wouldn't have been one more person spewing the fake "fixes" that Hydrohut came up with as though they really worked, which they did not.

Your insults are meaningless to me dude.. I call you out on your words, and all you do is call me names.

Sundance

Mr. Bongjangles said:
I have Jardin tents actually, but I am not afraid to call someone out who is bashing on Homebox and can't back up their claims, which Sundance did in another thread and still has not offered any proof that they were ever involved. Maybe that's where you got the idea, I dunno.

Wow ... over the edge are we

Here is a reminder of what I said about Homebox

Sundance said:
I've got nothing to say about Homebox ... or Homobox ... except I dont care for white plastic tents ... and Dirk knows exactly how I feel about personal attacks, and trash talking without knowing the truth and all the facts Sundance

and here is the link to the thread I said it in

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=106903&page=1&pp=15

Why must I repeat myself ?

Last edited:

Sundance

Mr. Bongjangles said:
I don't appreciate your assertion that I am some kind of Homebox support crew.. If you can back that up by showing where i've not been objective, do so, otherwise, I consider that a baseless accusation.

Call it how you want, but this Hydrohut shill's useless posts in here, word for word repeats of the same marketing drivel, certainly don't do anything to help, and I think calling it out is fair and useful to everyone else reading along.. I think they should know the guy giving "big ups" to Hydrohut does nothing but spout their perspective on the matter and repeats information he doesn't know to be true. I damn sure don't do that..

As for "Hydrohut Syndrome" well I didn't make up the term but I do like it.. Its like "Lou Gehrig's disease." I do see your point about how it could cause someone to think the off-gassing thing is a just Hydrohut thing though, so I'll just call it off-gas poisoning from here on out.

No, your posting is not that of just a guy who just got some bad tents.

I've demonstrated by your own mindlessly repeated words that you're just a mouthpiece for Hydrohut marketing information. Disagree if you want, but your own words make the case crystal clear.

Hey everyone the new website is up!! visit today!! LOL!!!!

Just trying to help huh? By telling people to do something like you know it works, when you really don't?

Real helpful.. If you'd have just kept your mouth shut there wouldn't have been one more person spewing the fake "fixes" that Hydrohut came up with as though they really worked, which they did not.

Your insults are meaningless to me dude.. I call you out on your words, and all you do is call me names.

Wow

I just read the whole thing

Over the edge .. turned this into personal attacks .. and is upset because

Mr. Bongjangles said:
all you do is call me names.

If that aint crying like a little girl - I dont know what is

The rest is laughable .. and not worthy of a reply

Get professional help

Toxic Hydro Hut tents are a thing of the past .. history ... Why do you continue blabbin ?

Last edited:

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sundance said:
Wow ... over the edge are we

Here is a reminder of what I said about Homebox

Why must I repeat myself ?

LOL at your silly attempt to make me look wrong.

Here's what you actually said, and where you said it:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2053527&postcount=8

Sundance said:
I think Hydro Hut handled it as best they could .. far better than all the others brands .. including Homobox ... who never admitted their problems ...

So yea, you stated that Homebox "never admitted their problems"

Still waiting on proof of that.

Sundance

Mr. Bongjangles said:
LOL at your silly attempt to make me look wrong.

Here's what you actually said, and where you said it:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2053527&postcount=8

So yea, you stated that Homebox "never admitted their problems"

Still waiting on proof of that.

You dont know when to STFU

Since you asked .. here you go ... read carefully .. I dont want to have to repeat myself

drehahn said:
Hello all,

I am Dirk, working with and for Homebox for many years now already.

1. about the off-gassing problem: we are definitelly pissed, annoyed, etc, that now we have the "image" of maybe also producing low quality tents. it hurts.

please take your time to look up the test report, which is posted on our website. is is also mentioned in the first post of the thread.
this test repost is done by www.sgs.com.
they are a world wide reputated neutral test lab.
the report clearly says, that our material does not contain any measurable harmfull dyes, metals, nor phtalates. well, it contains 8mg/kg barium. BUT, the hardest limit (also stated in the report) is 1000mg/kg of Barium. so we are WAY BELOW the strongest restriction out there for household goods, or even children toys.

2. what is killing the plants: I have done even more research on that. just because i want to know. and most likely, it might be MVC. MonoVinylChloride. That stuff is the compound PVC is made of. When polymerization is not done properly, some MVC is left in the mateiral. THAT is highly toxic, and gasses out easily.
This harms plants and humans fast. also dangerous for people producing the tents, as well as people working in warehouses with these products.
The phtalates and metals and dyes contained in the materials might also have an effect. but the MVC would have strongest/fastest/most lethal effect. MVC CAN NOT be found in materials free of PVC (quite logical, right?)

3. i have to raise another issue: even if other tents DO NOT kill plants, they might harm the organisms being around it over long term. metals like lead, cadmium, etc, phtalates (softeners) might all migrate over long term. they then accumulate in plants (consumables??), and with that, in humans. so even though your box might not kill plants instantly, it might still poison you over the years. ever heard of lead poisoning, e.g.? worth investigating...

i can promise and PROVE through the test perfomed and regularly performed in future, that our products wont harm you or any organisms, short term or long term!

grow safe - and be aware: we´ve got you covered.

dirk

Household goods and children's toys ?

IndoorMojo said:
Most importantly, homebox's test is complete crap. Yep, you actually just read me write that. I'll explain: Homebox very slyly ordered their test to the wrong standard. When ordering a plastics test you must specify to what standard you want the plastic tested. Homebox chose children's toys and household items. Big mistake. Children's toys are not enclosed tents with large heat sources, nor are household items. Homeboxes test clearly shows the test standard measured in milligrams. Plasticizers kill plants at the picogram level which means homebox's test couldn't even measure that minute amount because they chose the wrong standard. Why did they do this? They have no clue what the problem is about. To kill a plant it takes picograms to do it. To hurt a human it takes milligrams of that same plasticiser. So, stop wondering if any bad tents hurt humans--they do not. Please start wondering why homebox did this and then included bullshit to make everyone worry about human health. Totally unethical.

Homebox is not pristine and they in fact have a lot to answer for. There is a huge difference betweem 10 to the -3 and 10 to the -12 (where they were required to measure to. They do not and never have understood what makes the plants die. Homebox has been duping the world.

and

drehahn said:
whatever they used, PVC, PU, or anything, I dont really care.
yes, i might have been too fast to conclude that the probelm lies in the PVC. but looking up properties of PU very roughly, it sounds to me it is not far away from PVC...
(side note) dont get me wrong on that: there also is safe PVC, and i guess there can also be safe PU. it just costs more to produce and to control. a lot of research is being done in that perspective.

IMHO ... Dirk does not know what he is talking about ... clearly does not know the truth - or care (read his words) ... and/or all the facts ... yet it was very quick to lay blame

That enough proof ?

Thanks for asking again Bo

Last edited:
Sundance said:
Thats absolutely ridiculous

What list

???

Keep us up Farmer Jay

So you're familiar with how the recall was handled, as in you KNOW that no list was kept, but you're not a shill????

Fess up.