What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grow Tent OutGassing / Offgassing WARNING!!

drehahn

Hey Sundace, how come that you nearly post the exact wording in here as Evan wrote in an email to me yesterday?

anyway, some more comments.
you got me a bit more aroused now:
I did not invest money to have the HH tents analyzed. can I be blamed for that?
was not worth it for me. whatever they used, PVC, PU, or anything, I dont really care.
yes, i might have been too fast to conclude that the probelm lies in the PVC. but looking up properties of PU very roughly, it sounds to me it is not far away from PVC...
(side note) dont get me wrong on that: there also is safe PVC, and i guess there can also be safe PU. it just costs more to produce and to control. a lot of research is being done in that perspective.

but in the end, their boxes killed plants. end of the story. and what harmfull effect did their boxes have on growers? or on warehouse staff? or on the people producing the boxes in china?
did they ever wonder? did they ever care?
did they ever come up with a clear explanation?
did they ever publish a test result?

that they blame the overseas producer, if find quite poor.
we as a responsible supplier:
1. search for a trusted producer,
2. control the production in performing tests,
3. dont just go for the cheap and fast money, but invest a lot into research.
seems like he did not do so. and i feel it is his obligation to do so.

last but not least: i dont think HH did have any other chance then openly admitting their problem. just my personal opinion. all forums were full of people having these serious problems.
even we were asked a hundred times if our products had the same problem as the HH.
my opinion is that they can be lucky to be active in such a small industry. just look at the Melamin-scandal. what consequenses do such companies have to deal with?
for sure there are even worse companies out there, and seechance is one of them. but that, to me, does not make HH a good one.

And if someone feels insulted by me in my previous post. well, i just said how we feel about this issue in total.
how would you feel?
they took our boxes and copied them. they DID NOT make sure they sell proper products. and we as the inventor and cautious producer, were having to deal with the problem they caused. because their boxes looked like ours. and people thought their problems are our problems.

I leave it to all of you to decide if i have the right to be pissed or not.
and it will also be all of you, the consumers, who have to decide if they are going to purchase from such companies again.

I have NO influence on that. besides doing my job as good as i can. which is, making sure that we only bring out the best and most utterly tested and safe portable grow rooms.

Enough about HH from me. but i had to make that point clear.

I am open about further comments, also I am willing to learn, to correct myself if anything I stated is wrong. May the discussion continue. and yes, this turned out to become a very intense post, close to a product comparrison. i hope the forum members see it as what it is. i did not start it. i was asked to jump in as one of the addressed companies, and i try to explain our position.

and please, every tent manufacturer who feels insulted by the words with stars in my previous post: i apologize for making you think i might have thought of words that are insulting.
it was only to stress on the fact how strong we feel about the topic. see it as lyrical freedom to express feelings, not as personal aggression.

Last edited:

neuroherb

Sundance & Drehahn

I think we can all agree that the fault certainly doesn't lay with the consumers who purchased the problem tents. I for one appreciate all the manufacturers work who have looked into it and I also appreciate what has been published. But I am for consumer protection and I think it not only benefits the consumer in figuring this issue out while also putting some clearly identifiable marking system, but will also benefit the brands who can stand out to the consumer as seperate from dodgy copies that could kill their plants.

BTW Drehahn an email was sent to you via your registered info address on the Homebox site yesterday. There is no way for me to prove who you are etc.. from forum published information.

Also Sundance in it the offer is open to any manufacturer to supply follw up information as long as it is relevant & contains no profanity which will be added to the original post on this thread.

Over this weekend I will also be creating a form letter to send to all manufacturers to see if they would like to provide a statement for the original post. It is to the benefit of all consumers of these products along with the manufacturers that the full information that is available is put into the public domain so that they can make an informed decision.

Sundance

Sorry Dirk - but those are my words .. and my experience from having had to deal with this problem

Additionally, as far as toxicity goes ... Hydro Hut has been making and very successfully marketing their tents for years. They have many, many happy customers who continue to use this product with great success.

The problem with toxic tents only showed itself over the last 8-9 months ... clearly something nasty happened in the making of the tent material - which was supplied by a trusted manufacturer - the same trusted manufacturer used for years. The problem of toxicity certainly did not come about intentionally or because of any changes Hydro Hut made to their product, etc

This has been a nasty, one off problem ... that is aggressively being corrected ... and as a result the community can expect to see new, better and safer product coming from HH and your company as well

drehahn said:
whatever they used, PVC, PU, or anything, I dont really care.
yes, i might have been too fast to conclude that the probelm lies in the PVC.
but looking up properties of PU very roughly, it sounds to me it is not far away from PVC...
(side note) dont get me wrong on that: there also is safe PVC, and i guess there can also be safe PU. it just costs more to produce and to control. a lot of research is being done in that perspective.

With all due respect - after reading your posts ... it seems to me ... that without your knowing the truth and all the facts - your very quick to lay blame

drehahn said:
last but not least
Business 101. If you have a problem - be a man (unless your a woman), be man/woman enough to admit the problem, stand by and support your product, support your customers, correct the problem quickly, and get back to the drawing board to re-design your product/tents, use better and more reflective silver lined material, and incorporate design changes that will make your product/tents better than before, and better than what is currently available from others in the market - or your out of business

Companies constantly improve their products

Hydro Hut is very much in business ... new product with better, safer, more reflective silver lined material, and newly incorporated design changes to make their tents better than before, and better than what is currently available from others in the market will be available very soon ... again, under the circumstances, cant ask for more or better than that from anyone

Big up to HH for all that

Dirk - is your product patented ? What did your company do to protect its design, product and investment ?

I wish everyone well

Sundance

Last edited:

neuroherb

An additional note on the length of time this has been an issue. No argument with HH if they have been getting issue's only for 9 months. My products however were purchased in November 2007 which the date can be proved on the receipt Given time for the products to be imported from China this would roughly make the time of manufacture between summer and autumn 2007 depending on the production line lead times.

Sundance

neuroherb said:
An additional note on the length of time this has been an issue. No argument with HH if they have been getting issue's only for 9 months. My products however were purchased in November 2007 which the date can be proved on the receipt Given time for the products to be imported from China this would roughly make the time of manufacture between summer and autumn 2007 depending on the production line lead times.

Thats my personal experience - give a few months .. time flies

I am not Hydro Hut

drehahn

to neuroherb:
about the CE mark: there is no such law until now to receive a CE sign for products like ours. we have done intense research and contacted many official places to try to get a hint on what to do or what standard can be aplied.
i can only repeat myself:
our homeboxes meet the EU regulations for Toys, and also the US regulations for household products.
all regulation names are listed in my threads above.

i received your email, am answering it right now.

Last edited:

drehahn

@ sundance: in my opinion and from what i read, you are Evan, or closely llinked to HH: which is not a problem to me, besides the fact that i do not understand why you have to hide.

Sundance

drehahn said:
@ sundance: in my opinion and from what i read, you are Evan, or closely llinked to HH: which is not a problem to me, besides the fact that i do not understand why you have to hide.

Dirk .. now your being a jerk

I am not Evan ... not closely linked to him, or Hydro Hut

I am here at IC nearly 3 years now .. check out my posts before you go shooting your mouth off, and making stupid comments ... Oh, I forgot, after reading your previous posts and comments above, you prefer to shoot your mouth off first without knowing the truth, and/or all the facts

I am no different than any person on these boards - except for you ... and a potential customer

I own 2 Hydro Hut tents that need to be replaced ... have been caught up in this ... and did a little homework too

I never hide ... never even think that shit

With your attitude - I am more inclined to stick with Hydro Hut

What other stupid shit you got to say ?

Last edited:

CaStoner

ChronicPow said:
Does anyone have experience with the HTG supply Grow Bright branded tent? I have I have one and I am beginning to become concerned for my health as well some newly transplanted babies. My fan is over kill so they don't seem to be exhibiting any problems as of yet (4 days), only a slight underfeeding during transplant, but who knows :bashhead:

I'm using growbright now for my Waterfarm there growing great! Bought in Sept 2007 I been told by HTGsupply there is never been a complaint about their tents. I'll keep my eye peeled for any signs, but they been there growing for awhile.

HTG Supply tents are good to grow!

Last edited:
Homebox with only good experiences

Homebox with only good experiences

I have homebox and with it i have grown... well pretty many runs and havent had any of symptoms mentioned here. Only good experiences and my plants are only sick from being so sexy.

PeterHaze

PVC tray in Mylar tent - New Zealand

PVC tray in Mylar tent - New Zealand

I come from New Zealand, and I have had the same problem. I bought a grow tent, which had mylar lining on the inside. As soon as I put my seedlings in, they started to turn yellow, and the leaves died from the bottom up. Most died, the rest I put outside. I then tried another lot, and then yet another, including putting the recovered plants from outside back in. They all turned yellow and started losing leaves within days.

Then I heard about this problem from a friend who works for an opposition Hydro store - it all made sense! I went back to the store (EasyGrow - there's only 2 chains in NZ!), and the guy there said "the boss told us 3 weeks ago to tell peolple to take the white tray in the bottom out - its made of the same stuff as the white tents he sold last year which caused all the problems'.

Great. So a month after I bought mine they started warning people! Anyway, I have taken all my plants out, they are recovering nicely, and I've cleaned the tent, removed the tray, and I'm slowly putting plants back in, watching them VERY closely - so far OK, so it may well have been the PVC tray, but has has cost about 8 weeks and several dozen seeds. It totally pisses me off that you can grow dope in anything, just about anywhere, EXCEPT the room I bought for that very purpose.

Does anyone else see a parallel with the melamine in milk scandal? They killed my babies!!!!

Last edited:

maryj315

Shit i blew a $150.00 pack Dutch blueberry feminized beans and a shit load of freebies and 2 months time i was about to quit growing until i found MR Bongjangles thread that was the first one

Mj

Last edited:
I purchased a homebox L like a year ago that I only just now opened due to space issues...however, there were no assembly instructions in the box...at first I was like whatever i'll figure it out, but the poles are only slightly different and its not too obvious why or how its supposed to be assembled...does anyone have any idea where I can find assembly instructions or is there a thread for this? I feel this post is out of place in this thread but it seems like as good a place as any to ask. Any help is greatly appreciated...

neuroherb

I can't say exactly for a Homebox yet, but it should follow a pretty standard format. There will be 8 upright poles 4 with a slightly thinned end so the other can slot over the top. The only difference where you use the other top or bottom is the top ones will have pre drilled holes for the roof bars or if the have the cupped style stretchers then it won't matter. There will be at least eight (some give spares) three way 90 degree corner brackets and you use these to create your corners by slotting the tubes into them. The skin is just a matter of you working out your own system of strecthing it over. I personally open all the zips, start with the topand then slide the bottom under the frame. Then it should just zip up.

HtH

Neuro

Sundance

The new re-designed Hydro Hut Tents have just arrived

I got my (2) replacement tents 4 days ago .. and have to say ... I am very, very pleased not only with the construction quality ... but also that my environment is finally correct ... and my plants are doing great

On the outside - The tents are made of heavy black canvas and a royal blue trim ... Inside is heavy, rugged, very reflective silver lining throughout ... there are many holes with sleeves for ventilation, and to pass wires thru - then draw strings can be pulled to tighten the sleeves to keep everything secure and keep light leaks out ... there are also velcro packs all around to keep all flaps, including the door in place ... excellent zipper too ... and the door opens in a U-shape

Overall - same great Hydro Hut quality ... and I am very, very pleased

My plants are in the tents 4 days now

In my HHKG ... cuttings are doing much better ... temps and humidity perfect

In my HH 3x3 Flowering tent ... I am 3 weeks in cycle .. and 4 days in the new tents ... very, very happy to say ... no yellowing ... my environment appears to be neutral ... and my plants seem much more healthy, green, have more crystals .. and be even more dank

I threw my toxic tents in the garbage last night ... and cant remember when tossing something in the trash felt so good

For me - this problem with toxic tents is over ... history .. and nothing but a footnote in time

If you have a toxic Hydro Hut Tent ... and a legitimate claim ... then get directly in touch with Hydro Hut .. tell them your story .. and I am sure they will sort you out

Big up to Hydro Hut for not busting the company and walking away .. for standing strongly behind their product ... supporting their customers ... being gentlemen ... and replacing my tents

At this link

http://www.hydrofarm.com/pb_master.php?brand=21

You can see 1) Hydrofarm is now carrying Hydro Huts new product, and 2) pictures and a description of Hydro Hut's new tents.

Last edited:

neuroherb

Hi Jay

Had a look at your thread and would like a bit more info since you mention the tent being a silver lined darkroom. Not many of this type are reported to have had a problem but this doesn't mean it can't happen.

Can you do a proper infirmary questionaire thread? and could you add pics if possible including some wider shots of the plants as well as closeups of the problem areas?

Stitchs questionaire is here:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

Latest posts

Latest posts