What's new

PLease help a freind who wants to help a friend :)

followtherabbit

For non smokers some might concider me as the wosrt kind of friend, but for you fellow smokers I'm sure youd agree that I'm introducing my friends into the peacefull and tranquil world of cannabis.

I've been smoking occasionally for the past 3 years. And my friend (who never smoked befor) wants to give marijuana a try. My friend is slipping into the fucked up "alchoholics mode" which I've been through (and thrankfully got over after my introduction to the kind bud, which practically saved my life).

My friend have been suffering from depression and stress with work, family and all that. He naturally suffers from mild paranoia, so I dont want to make it worse for him by giving him a bad first trip (knowing that I'll be providing him with the best atmosphere for a relaxed setting to smoke, safe, quiet place, good lighting, good music, good entertainment, nice scenery, tasty food...the whole nine yards)

My question is what strains of marijuana should I inroduce him to as a start, pure indica, or pure sativa, or hybrids? in order not to get him all paranoid and having a bad first trip?

I would really appreciate it if you guys told me what are some strains that you found that doesnt give you any paranoia (or to a minimum) that I could let my friend try, given that, thankfully, I've got access to a wide variety of bud strains to smoke.

thanks all for helping a friend who wants to help his friend :1help:

Last edited:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
I hate to say this: but I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer for your question. People respond differently to different strains of pot. Let's say all your friends started burning a joint of whatever: you're going to get a cornucopia of different reactions from paranoia to sedation to munchies....etc.
That's just taking into consideration the THC.....there are hundreds of different cannibanoids that have never been identified (I think there are only like 5 that have been pinned down for sure).....The amounts of cannibanoids vary from strain to strain and even within a given strain.

I think some generalizations CAN be made about stuff that is "racy" and prone to make your heart beat faster....this is likely to cause paranoia to the uninitiated.

If you have been smoking occassionally for 3 years....I strongly suggest that you pick a particular strain that you have grown accustomed to thinking is good before you want to goto sleep.....not something that keeps you up and energetic. Additionally, you should "meter" out your friend's exposure to it (ie-1 bong hit.......or 1 hit off the bowl.......1-2 tokes off a joint). Not an entire bowl or a whole J.....break them in a bit.

If your friend starts getting paranoid...you can make them eat....that always tends to bring people down and quells the stone.

I think some others would suggest the strain "Lowrider" because it purportedly has very low THC levels compared to other strains.....I've seen various threads with people asking questions about low potency herb.......you may also want to do a search here for "low potency strains" or something to that effect.

Good luck.

S

Space Ghost

skunks and bubblegums and blueberries and various hybrids of those

Elk Woman

Followtherabbit:

I'm a healer using nature and natural medicines. I consider cannabis a very important medicine that comes in numerous varieties. Best is to suit the medicine to the man.

I suggest you consider your friend's mental strengths and weaknesses: meaning, if he's emotionally or mentally fragile, you'll want to start him off on something 'soft' and fun: no heavy highs that he may not feel able to deal with. Let's get him into a playful mood. I like Blueberry, Sweet Tooth, M39, Love Potion for lightweights or sativa lovers. If your friend is sad or depressed, or his head is messed up, you'll want to bring him Blueberry or something else that's a gentle pleasure, instead of a severe head-rush like Trainwreck or the heavy indicas and most (true) Kushes.

In my home, when I share smoke with friends we start off with the lightest variety of bud first, and work our way through to the heavier indica types. People drop out as they find their level, and there's always more if they need it. (Thank you, Prop 215!)

You yourself may not enjoy the date so much, as you will be watching over him to make sure he's having a good time. Talk about whatever fun things you can, but at some point he may become reflective and need to discuss his deeper concerns. Stay with him on that if he chooses to go deeper into his feelings. And if it gets too heavy, jump up and put on some boogie music. We all know how fun it is to get silly and move around.

Many years ago (the '80s), I got my pseudo-hip retirement-age landlord stoned several times. He had a lovely time, until I broke out some extremely intense bud (no variety names back then); at that point he started hyperventilating and was sure he was having a heart attack! I spent a long time talking him down from that near-freakout, and I hope you won't let your friend get into that kind of trouble; continually monitor the tone of the buzz, his mindset etc. and talk him out of going down dead mental paths (e.g., the things that he regrets). The best part with the landlord was when he put opera on the stereo; he SOO got the good part of cannabis! (and I politely endured the music as well.)

Be sure to have yummy munchies as he may need to eat something if he gets a bit blown out by his first buzz; food slows metabolism and excess mentation, the heavier food the better (bakery products, proteins, etc.). If he's the kind of person who really likes sports and physical activities, take him out for a bike ride, skateboarding, or anything engaging his body. If he's quieter than that, break out some art supplies and get creative with him; or play/dance to music, etc. Personally, I love boogie-boarding the ocean waves, but I live 2 1/2 hours from the beach, so I skinny dip in our wild & scenic local river -- and believe me, it's a healing every time!

Bottom line: suss out your friends mental/physical/emotional state, and give him whatever he needs to lighten up. Start simple and light, and introduce him to the stronger medicines once you've figured out what he likes and needs.

You're right: giving someone a very strong first smoke can be frightening to them, especially if they've spent too much time in left-brain mode. And people who worry too much or have a negative world-view may not be able to switch focus easily, so you as his friend would need to be very present for the first 15 minutes or so: if he freaks, just talk to him about the way the stone works: tell him he'll be all right in a few minutes after his brain processes the new buzz.

And yes, I agree: you ARE being a good friend by offering other options besides alcohol, downers, etc. We all know this stuff has NO LETHAL DOSE, but we also know that one's emotional/mental state is a big factor, and we're here to help, not blow the poor boy out the door!

Best wishes for your friend's healing and joy. Let us know how it all goes down.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Elk Woman said:
Followtherabbit:

I'm a healer using nature and natural medicines. I consider cannabis a very important medicine that comes in numerous varieties. Best is to suit the medicine to the man.

I suggest you consider your friend's mental strengths and weaknesses: meaning, if he's emotionally or mentally fragile, you'll want to start him off on something 'soft' and fun: no heavy highs that he may not feel able to deal with. Let's get him into a playful mood. I like Blueberry, Sweet Tooth, M39, Love Potion for lightweights or sativa lovers. If your friend is sad or depressed, or his head is messed up, you'll want to bring him Blueberry or something else that's a gentle pleasure, instead of a severe head-rush like Trainwreck or the heavy indicas and most (true) Kushes.

In my home, when I share smoke with friends we start off with the lightest variety of bud first, and work our way through to the heavier indica types. People drop out as they find their level, and there's always more if they need it. (Thank you, Prop 215!)

You yourself may not enjoy the date so much, as you will be watching over him to make sure he's having a good time. Talk about whatever fun things you can, but at some point he may become reflective and need to discuss his deeper concerns. Stay with him on that if he chooses to go deeper into his feelings. And if it gets too heavy, jump up and put on some boogie music. We all know how fun it is to get silly and move around.

Many years ago (the '80s), I got my pseudo-hip retirement-age landlord stoned several times. He had a lovely time, until I broke out some extremely intense bud (no variety names back then); at that point he started hyperventilating and was sure he was having a heart attack! I spent a long time talking him down from that near-freakout, and I hope you won't let your friend get into that kind of trouble; continually monitor the tone of the buzz, his mindset etc. and talk him out of going down dead mental paths (e.g., the things that he regrets). The best part with the landlord was when he put opera on the stereo; he SOO got the good part of cannabis! (and I politely endured the music as well.)

Be sure to have yummy munchies as he may need to eat something if he gets a bit blown out by his first buzz; food slows metabolism and excess mentation, the heavier food the better (bakery products, proteins, etc.). If he's the kind of person who really likes sports and physical activities, take him out for a bike ride, skateboarding, or anything engaging his body. If he's quieter than that, break out some art supplies and get creative with him; or play/dance to music, etc. Personally, I love boogie-boarding the ocean waves, but I live 2 1/2 hours from the beach, so I skinny dip in our wild & scenic local river -- and believe me, it's a healing every time!

Bottom line: suss out your friends mental/physical/emotional state, and give him whatever he needs to lighten up. Start simple and light, and introduce him to the stronger medicines once you've figured out what he likes and needs.

You're right: giving someone a very strong first smoke can be frightening to them, especially if they've spent too much time in left-brain mode. And people who worry too much or have a negative world-view may not be able to switch focus easily, so you as his friend would need to be very present for the first 15 minutes or so: if he freaks, just talk to him about the way the stone works: tell him he'll be all right in a few minutes after his brain processes the new buzz.

And yes, I agree: you ARE being a good friend by offering other options besides alcohol, downers, etc. We all know this stuff has NO LETHAL DOSE, but we also know that one's emotional/mental state is a big factor, and we're here to help, not blow the poor boy out the door!

Best wishes for your friend's healing and joy. Let us know how it all goes down.
Way better approach then what i was thinking. I was thinking give him the heaviest weed and put his ass to sleep cause it sounds like that is what he really needs. I am a prop 215 med user and i smoke for anxiety and high levels of stress. LOL my legs dont stop shaking unless i smoke indicas. Kudos to you for elevating your friend to the next level of existence.

satty

Give your friend a nice good indica, and introduce him to crosses.
He is going to find his way around, just like we did.
Your helping somebody kick the booz.
:joint: