What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for Am/Fm MP3 Player....

I'm not up on the electronic thing at all....but im looking for a good am/fm mp3 player. It needs to be small enough to fit in my pocket and hold enough music that i don't need to constantly change music in/out of it.

Anybody own one? Any suggestions are welcome....i don't know much about ipods or Zunes....seen a few buddies....don't really care if they play movies. I just need something for work.....I'd like it to be a damn good am/fm reciever....

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
how much do u consider "enough music to not constantly change it"?

like 1000 Songs? or more?

Also what is your price range, I'd stay away from apple cause thats the way I roll, and they suck.

My little Sansa e280 is freaking amazing, although I can't vouch for the fm quality that much, as I use it 80% for mp3s, and like 15% radio, 5% movies... not only are they 8 gigs of built in memory, they also come with a MicroSD slot, that allow u to expend it up to 12 or 16? At least 12, very cheaply... I have had it now for about a year and it still works fine, its kind of annoying in that its like an ipod in that it has an internal battery, and u charge it with a USB, but u could also get a wall charger.

I have also owned a Rio, the FM quality on that was Fair (nothing wrong with it, but wasnt that great, sansa is better compared to the Rio.

I know you said you dont want video, but pretty much all these players have the capability now... the technology is soo cheap compared to what it used to be...

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an ipod and love it, it holds 1,000 songs and was just under $150 bucks....they have all diff sizes, no radio, and plays videos and movies[i dont watch those either]
the Zune has a radio, someone in chat was sayin they loved theirs, so it might be watch your looking for...go into Best Buy or some place and someone can fill you in on all the features they have.

I'd guess i'd be willing to spend more if i felt i was getting my moneys worth. The ones i saw at the store were about 40 bucks and only held 2 gigs. Thats to small....8 gigs sounds nice....

I'm afraid something that cheap will be crap. The were also so small, i'd probably not even know if it was in my pocket. I'd just started back with a trade job and i'd like to be up to date and not have to listen to the classic rock or country they play at job sites....

So my priorities are mp3 storage=am/fm radio.....anything after that is a bonus and i'd weigh my options: price, quality, other features....

I'm just looking for some experiences i guess....what do you guys like?

U

ureapwhatusow

sansa works with any mp3 (fvck you itunes)

it has good FM

its great bang for buck

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
I have some model Sansa that I got for about 50 bux at cvs or rite aid or somewhere. It only holds 1 gig (which is fine for me, I am near my 'puter every day), but has a sd slot, so I could make it 5 gigs or so for a few bucks. No video, but has an FM ONLY tuner that gets very good reception. Very good audio quality. I have never paid more than $100, and I've had 3 mp3 players over the last 5-6 yrs. I bought the Creative MuVo ~100 in 2002, and it was good for the time. I bought a "My Musix" (no name) mp3 player a year or so later because it had a display, and came with a 1 gig SD card. I wore that bitch out. I used it almost every day for almost 2 yrs. Walked everywhere, spent 2 summers on the beach, 2 semesters @ school, basketball, everywhere. Eventually, it started actin up, but I got my money's worth. My point kind of is, just take your list of what you want to the drugstore and buy a cheap 1. I reccommend Phillips Ear Phones/buds. They make a HUGE difference. I paid 50 for my mp3 player, and 20 for the earphones.

EDIT - I heard a grown man shreik/whimper when his $300 video ipod fell off his lap, into the parking lot..........

Last edited:

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
barletta said:
I have some model Sansa that I got for about 50 bux at cvs or rite aid or somewhere. It only holds 1 gig (which is fine for me, I am near my 'puter every day), but has a sd slot, so I could make it 5 gigs or so for a few bucks. No video, but has an FM ONLY tuner that gets very good reception. Very good audio quality. I have never paid more than $100, and I've had 3 mp3 players over the last 5-6 yrs. I bought the Creative MuVo ~100 in 2002, and it was good for the time. I bought a "My Musix" (no name) mp3 player a year or so later because it had a display, and came with a 1 gig SD card. I wore that bitch out. I used it almost every day for almost 2 yrs. Walked everywhere, spent 2 summers on the beach, 2 semesters @ school, basketball, everywhere. Eventually, it started actin up, but I got my money's worth. My point kind of is, just take your list of what you want to the drugstore and buy a cheap 1. I reccommend Phillips Ear Phones/buds. They make a HUGE difference. I paid 50 for my mp3 player, and 20 for the earphones.

EDIT - I heard a grown man shreik/whimper when his $300 video ipod fell off his lap, into the parking lot..........

can get a sansa on new egg for under 100 bucks (might have to get the 4 gig one, then a 4 gig micro SD card...)

, sounds like he doesn't want something to big or pricey, but not something cheap from like a drug store either...

basically man i like my sansa alot more than my Rio (creative, which makes zune)... although that Rio was fine, it lasted like 3 years, I am just angry cause i didnt use it that much at all, and it should have lasted much longer.

moto

I have a Creative Labs Zen. It's a 30 gig, so it is a bit bigger...... it does, however, have a GREAT AM/FM tuner. The battery life is good. The only thing the ipod has over it is that everyone and their mother makes ipod accessories.

I did get a set of skull candy ear buds, and they are a great improvement of the ones that come with it.

Hope this helps some...

NOKUY

Veteran
NOKUY said:
i have a 4gb ipod....i still am learning it...i never even seen an ipod in person until a month ago...(yes im really a backwoods recluse).

i got it cuz i wanted to use itunes easy, and yeah it is worth it. (and my new FJ has a jack for it)

202 songs today, and im gettin a few more on there that ill pay 4 ...plus a few cd's i finally found go on for free.

aiight

I've looked a bit...still need to go into bestbuy and really dig into one. i like the Zune over the Ipod, i guess....just based off the Am/Fm Radio feature. It also seems to be a bit more fluid, my buddies Ipod doesn't scroll or really play vids that good. The Zen has the radio and long battery life.....but who knows??

I guess i'm gonna go ahead and spend a little more and get something i'm gonna be happy with in the long run.....

Any more experiences? Zune or Zen? I'd love to hear em....

Tokin_Jo

moto said:
I have a Creative Labs Zen. It's a 30 gig, so it is a bit bigger...... it does, however, have a GREAT AM/FM tuner. The battery life is good. The only thing the ipod has over it is that everyone and their mother makes ipod accessories.

I did get a set of skull candy ear buds, and they are a great improvement of the ones that come with it.

Hope this helps some...

My kids have Zens, good price, great player!!!!

BrainBoy

I'd stay away from best buy employee's and simply go there to test out a few units. I've been told complete lies by best buy before, probably unintentional but still nonetheless damaging. The people who work there tend to know VERY LITTLE about technology or the products they sell. That said.

I have bought 4 iPods over the course of 10 years or however long theyve been out starting with generation 2.

What makes me continue to go back to Apple for my computing and mp3 needs is their outstanding warranty.

As long as you spend the 50 bucks on Applecare you can count on Apple replacing your iPod if you have any problems with it. If it ever breaks you can call them and they rush ship you a padded box with shipping paid both ways and within a week you either have your iPod back and fixed or a brand spanking new unit.

Stay Puft

I was pretty much in the same boat as you. (Except i wanted it for Gym use)
I ended up buying a RCA Jet S2001 for approx. 40 USD at a Brick-n_Mortar Fry's electronics. It is only 1G but that is plenty for my needs, It does have a radio as well and the headphones are very secure (ain't falling out). I like the fact that i do NOT need any special software for this device... You plug it in and it it looks like any plain old "Removable Hardrive" to windows. I am pretty happy with this thing for $40.00. I do wish the volume would go a lil louder, but that may just be me going deaf.

I also tried a Creative Zen "stone" and it would not work on my Win2k machine. It appeared with the Zen, you MUST have WinXP for the Creative software to work, which is the only way to load MP3s on the damb the thing. That is just retarded, so i returned it ASAP.

Stay Puft

Point of software/OS dependability being... if you go to your friends house and you ask him load the MP3 he/she is playing, they DO NOT need special software ( probably bloatware) to load the MP3 on your device.

MHO- In regards ti ITunes... I ain't' feeding the pig that fought this technology (digital reproduction for CONSUMERS) tooth-n-nail and F-in lawyers!