What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tales of a guerilla

Auto Spot

Auto Spot

picture.php

Interesting... these are the autos I have nearby that I am using as an indicator for the rest. These get much less sun than the others (4-5 hours of direct light maybe?) but because they are nearby they get more attention. Watered a couple of times, neem sprayed a couple of times, CS'ed a couple of times. They are in much better condition than the others though.

picture.php

Starting to see a little frost now....

picture.php

Now that the latest mid-summer rains are done Im back at it with the CS Spray/Dunk. Only reversing the lowest branches of 2/3 auto plants.

And here's the Pineapple Chunk just doing its thing...

picture.php

Til next time...

rod58

two words for outdoor growers...DYNAMIC LIFTER...
yeah , i hear ya ozzieAI , that stuff works a treat ..in my youth i reckon i've dragged in over a ton of it ..lol.
i now rarely use it here because the soil is very alkaline already so i have to be very frugal with it ..now its mainly blood n bone with some complete fertilizer in it ..also the distances that i haul shit in negates the use of any bulk fert .
back in the day i would collect trailer loads of chicken shit and kelp from the beach and then compost it over the off season ..damn that shit was the bomb !!:biggrin:

yeah , i hear ya ozzieAI , that stuff works a treat ..in my youth i reckon i've dragged in over a ton of it ..lol.
i now rarely use it here because the soil is very alkaline already so i have to be very frugal with it ..now its mainly blood n bone with some complete fertilizer in it ..also the distances that i haul shit in negates the use of any bulk fert .
back in the day i would collect trailer loads of chicken shit and kelp from the beach and then compost it over the off season ..damn that shit was the bomb !!:biggrin:

Yep, when I first started growing I hauled a lot of soil into plots - that didnt last long. I get tired when I think of some of the distances that people are carrying huge loads.

How far are your spots from where you park? Or start walking from?

My furtherest spot is about 20mins along a shallow river after driving for an hour, my closest is about 5mins from a carpark that gets about 1-200 people per day (between 8am-6pm):biggrin:

rod58

hey matt , the closest spot is about one and a half kilometre and the others are probably two ks ..i just carry a 20ltr bucket loaded with different ferts and a shovel ..
a lot of it is thick scrub so if you miss the kangaroo trail ya fucked ..:biggrin: a few times i've had to force my way through that shit , sometimes on my hands and knees ..
if it was easy , everyone would be doing it !!
anyway i went in this morning to one spot ..bit fucked , put a few pics up later , i'm home having coffee and then on to another ...cheers

Some thoughts

Some thoughts

There are 0 deadly animals in the wild where I live. :woohoo:
One could argue that a wild pig could do some damage but I don't remember ever hearing of anyone ever dying from boar attack here.

Meanwhile across the ditch, they host many of the most deadly creatures in the world. Some of which live in the very areas that guerrilla gardeners travel through/to.

So glad I don't have to worry about snakes, spiders, crocs, fire ants and even the mosquito's which seem more relentless over there and whatever else is out there.
I guess there would be pros to having them too though, less strays wandering around your grow areas???

Anyway, so happy to live in a guerrilla friendly environment, apart from the small issue of law of course ;) You get what I mean :moon:

Grow-wise, its all a waiting game now. Most spots I will not see again until April unless a drought... or major weather.

I have a small CS breeding project with some clones of Tangerine dream, Pineapple chunk, Frisian Dew and Money maker to keep me occupied. These are still rooting in a humidity dome, sprayed daily with a water and superthrive solution...is vitamin b I think... All I know is it improves root growth and has a great effect on the plants. I don't always talk about the details but thought if it might help others learn more and improve, cool.

Next on the to-do list - make more Colloidal Silver for breeding project.
There are already other threads that document this process but if there are any that would like to see in this thread then let me know and I'll give it a go.
I expect the clones to be rooted in the next week. From there they will be transplanted into small pots and CS spraying will begin immediately on approx 1/3 of them. I may just put them all in one bigger pot and spray them all together that way, I haven't decided yet.

rod58

you mention CS a bit . i've just started doing it , spraying ,four days ago with CS that i bought from ebay , 30ppm , which i read about in one thread on here . they started out saying that 30ppm was the go but later on someone wrote that it wouldn't work ..what do you think ?
and ya right about biting things over here . one spot that i go to i need a big stick to wave ahead of me to bring down the spider webs , shit loads of them . most are quite small but others are big and fast ! lol
and you say there's so many people parking up near you , do they wander about or just stick to the trails ? bit of a concern .

you mention CS a bit . i've just started doing it , spraying ,four days ago with CS that i bought from ebay , 30ppm , which i read about in one thread on here . they started out saying that 30ppm was the go but later on someone wrote that it wouldn't work ..what do you think ?
and ya right about biting things over here . one spot that i go to i need a big stick to wave ahead of me to bring down the spider webs , shit loads of them . most are quite small but others are big and fast ! lol
and you say there's so many people parking up near you , do they wander about or just stick to the trails ? bit of a concern .

Yeah man I've spent some decent coin shipping seeds from overseas. In a guerrilla situation, especially urban, I don't want to be worrying about losing the small amount of plants that I have. Getting reg seeds to breed with and having to visit constantly to check for males also isn't very efficient for this type of growing.

I aim to have only female plants to reduce visits and if I want seeds of the same then CS seems like the most suitable option.
Im no expert so I cant really say whether your 30ppm solution will be strong enough to reverse the plant. Im still at trial and error myself, shit, I dont even measure my solution. Its a bit of a mickey mouse operation this year really. Hah new spots, new genetics, new climate.

Matter of fact I checked the clones this am and they are in bad shape. Damping off. Should've opened the vents in the dome - Damn. Thankfully I am not reliant on this breeding project thanks to a generous forum member who has blessed me with some exciting genetics which include Malawi, Hindu kush, SSH and some other very interesting crosses. Thank you very much to that person!!! :tiphat:

Still... I think having the skills to create your own fem seed bank would be awesome.

rod58

yeah i hear you matt , same here as well . sometimes it just gets too hard dealing with reg seeds ..this year was a classic example , bitterly cold here for all of spring and my germination rate was way off so i never had time to sex them , paying for that now .and why lug stuff in and dig holes for males , that's dead end .
looks like its a learning curve then for us both so fingers crossed !

seeded

It's a shame you can't keep mother plants otherwise you'd just be able to put your best cuts out every year instead of having to worry about making seeds. Oh well $10 says once you try you handiwork you won't stop even if you can keep mothers as we all get there eventually :laughing:

Good luck with those new genetics. I can't wait to see what you do with the Malawi outdoors :biggrin:

It's a shame you can't keep mother plants otherwise you'd just be able to put your best cuts out every year instead of having to worry about making seeds. Oh well $10 says once you try you handiwork you won't stop even if you can keep mothers as we all get there eventually :laughing:

Good luck with those new genetics. I can't wait to see what you do with the Malawi outdoors :biggrin:

Yeah I'd love to keep mothers, especially if I could see the entire life cycle of that particular plant.
A bit hit and miss popping beans, but that's where it all starts really.

If I had a choice of good seed stock or mothers Id take seed every time. Even some of the commercial seedbanks gear can be kinda average or unsuitable for my climate.

I'm looking forward to seeing Malawi up close and personal too! I've got some special plans for her even now. Flood NZ with Malawi type plans ;) jk... Kinda

Yep another wet summer weekend. At least nowadays when it rains, silver lining is no need for watering trips.
My clones are looking like crap and I'm thinking about visiting another spot to do a bit more pruning of lower growth and get a fresh set of cuts.
Depends on how keen I am if it keeps raining... Its probably better if I just left them all alone, but I want something to keep me occupied while I wait for harvest. And seed production has been on my to do list for a while, even if its not entirely necessary now.
I always feel like I could be doing more to improve/increase my chance of success. This is probably the root cause of my clones damping off. Over tending/spraying. It could also be due to a few things I changed in cloning process. Coir - pumice, less light(distance), different room temp.

If at first you dont succeed... try and try again.

If at first you dont succeed... try and try again.

Like I said earlier...
The clones look like a fail...

picture.php

Or should I say "looked" like a fail...

picture.php

I went out this morning for a look and grabbed a few new cuts from the best looking/growing plants.
The spot I saw this morning was looking ok.

picture.php

picture.php

I removed the cages and gave the girls some attention. I also got to play doctor a bit which I'll share in another post.
A couple of the plants are beginning to flower but the only one I wanted to keep was this one, I think it's a Frisian Dew, I like alot about it so far, still looking green and healthy despite the lack of attention, fat leaves.

picture.php

Admittedly I also stopped in at the "bait" plot to grab a few cuts from money maker and tangerine dream. The Frisian D there was a couple of weeks into flower. Of all photoperiod plants this seems to be further-est into flowering. I had already raided her lower branches and decided not to stress it out at this stage. Would really like to pollinate this plant and work at getting some earlier finishing genetics. It makes me feel like the majority of plants still need at least 10 weeks, that's right around 4/20 or April 20th, that's if they're ready in 10 weeks. Would prefer to be harvesting/drying beginning of April.

Guerilla ingenuity

Guerilla ingenuity

I usually carry backpack with me with some essentials.. you know.. gloves, secateurs, trowel, hand saw, pocket knife. Just in case there is a need.
In the spot above I found this

picture.php

I've seen this remedied by others with duct tape. I didnt have any but I did have some chord that I used in the past for 'out-hang'.
Came up with this

picture.php

Sometime you just gotta make do with what you have available, be creative.
The plant wasn't looking like anything special so this fix probably will be all it get's.

Anyone else got that creative juice?

Last edited:

ozzz420

@Mattskibop, with the damping off of your clones maybe try using great white mycorrhizal/or similar treatments with every watering to combat pythium/or other fungal diseases, my outdoor area is infested badly by various noxious fungi & its compulsory that treaments continue from germination right through till plants are quite large? possibly worth a try man!