What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

deficiencies in coco

Dr.King

Veteran
getting some high ph runoff readings from a few plants. is there a specific nutrient that if overused would cause the ph to rapidly rise?

Was it fresh coco? How long into the grow are you? If it was new you should have flushed it until it's 30-50 ppm. Now besides what the information you have given us it's hard to judge the cause. This is the reason I like Advanced Nutrients Ph perfect. It is too good to be true, never having to worry about PH or any other deficiencies because they also have a Coco version which is new but way better then the original. I can tell a huge difference every day once switching to the Coco version. Provide more information and I am sure we can help you out man.

Boingstar,
Please explain about the not enough Ammonium/ Too much Nitrate thing. -granger

I'm going to guess he's fucking with the OP due to a lack of any sort of information about his plants or grow, lol.

Ammonium is an alkaline, Nitrate is an acid. Ammonium Nitrate is a fertilizer

Veg formula nutes are usually higher pH, just need to adjust your pH before you feed. As long as you are feeding at a certain pH, the runoff doesn't matter.

Dr.King

Veteran
I'm going to guess he's fucking with the OP due to a lack of any sort of information about his plants or grow, lol.

Well I will point out that if you look under his name if that is indeed his plant he has deficiencies as well. Look how yellow the leaves are on them plants, never heard of cal/mag? He will probably come back with he flushed it for multiple weeks. I say that's a bad idea because that last 2-3 weeks are when the plants are needing the most nutrients. I flush for a week at max. If your using coco flushing is a thing in the past as well is having to measure Ph lol. So I am guessing you may be right.

If you got something going wrong with your grow it's probably the nutrients you are using. Half of them are shitty products that aren't worth it. The whole Advanced nutrients line up only cost like 120 bucks on Ebay and last for 6 months. That will supply two 5' x 5' tents for the entire time. I pull 3-5 pds altogether each round(12 weeks) and that's with single 400 watt systems, 1 in each tent... People need to read up more about dialing in your grow room.

jewcebox

Well I will point out that if you look under his name if that is indeed his plant he has deficiencies as well. Look how yellow the leaves are on them plants, never heard of cal/mag? He will probably come back with he flushed it for multiple weeks. I say that's a bad idea because that last 2-3 weeks are when the plants are needing the most nutrients. I flush for a week at max. If your using coco flushing is a thing in the past as well is having to measure Ph lol. So I am guessing you may be right.

this is an opinion, not a fact.

the fade on a plant determines its ripeness,

not saying your wrong, but i dont enjoy smoking chems. i like a nice flushed faded plant... so yea...

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
If your using coco flushing is a thing in the past as well is having to measure Ph lol. So I am guessing you may be right.

Prime example of how people give bad grow advice on pot forums right here.
Don't flush and watch your chems locked in the plant spark up, taste nasty, and burn hella black ash.
Don't ph correctly and watch your shit get locked out, fucked up, and die.
Even yummybud would know better than that.

al70

Veteran
Ammonium is an alkaline, Nitrate is an acid. Ammonium Nitrate is a fertilizer

Veg formula nutes are usually higher pH, just need to adjust your pH before you feed. As long as you are feeding at a certain pH, the runoff doesn't matter.[/quote. from al70
you can check runoff for other things apart from ph, you can diagnose a sick plant, from the runoff, which I'm just after learning from some clever members here, PPMs etc,,,,important

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
i know when im over feeding and getting build up when the ph of the run off starts to drop, when it gets to 5.7 i flush with .8 EC tap water until it comes back up to 6. last run i didnt check run off readings until i started to see some problems ph was down at 4.7 EC was 2.2

would ph rising be underfeeding ?

seems that every website you go to have different views on everything, whats common here you could be slated other places.

I guess if checking your runoff is helpful for you, keep doing it. I've never checked the pH of my runoff and ive been completely fine. I just said to ignore the pH of the runoff because you can't use that as a gauge of what the pH of the "medium" is. The pH of runoff has absolutely no bearing on the pH of what you're feeding when using coco. Think of it the same as growing in hydroton or perlite as far is pH is concerned.

Dr.King

Veteran
Prime example of how people give bad grow advice on pot forums right here.
Don't flush and watch your chems locked in the plant spark up, taste nasty, and burn hella black ash.
Don't ph correctly and watch your shit get locked out, fucked up, and die.
Even yummybud would know better than that.

You need to check my gallery then. I have so many beautiful plants it insane. Even having breeders saying my indoor sativa grows are the best they have seen in along time. How about you? Need me to show you some proof? I was just giving out my experience because I know it's right. I talk to breeders to know what's best for their strain. I've done side by side test with the same clones. Giving "most" strains a one week flush right before harvest is even what breeders recommend if you're using straight coco. You growing in straight coco? I for sure am. I don't get chem lock out because I use top of the line nutrients which break down all the bad salts and toxins. Like I said if your cannabis tastes, looks, smells, high or burns like shit it's probably your nutrients brand you are using. I never check Ph because my shit is Ph perfect.

Hate to do this do the thread. I have to prove my point. Not trying to start any beef's just saying if you use the right nutrients it shouldn't matter. P.s. I am only using a single 400 watt light and 2 90w LEDs.

Hi Dr.King!

You really have courage to grow Oldtimer's Haze indoors from seed. It's not an easy task, the Oldtimer's Haze line is so tropical that barely produces flowers under 12/12 photoperiod, as you experienced it's better to flower them with 10-11 hours of light per day.

Congrats for your patience and talent to tame this sativa. I'm really impressed with the flower in this post, probably one of the best Oldtimer's Haze indoor flowers i have seen in a long time.

We are in the middle of a new 'pure' Oldtimer's Haze reproduction so there will be interesting and fresh stock for the upcoming years.

I'm glad you are enjoying your Green Haze so much, please keep it and preserve it, and maybe cross it with something different of your taste, you will be amazed how the oldtimer's haze performs in hybrids.

Kind regards!

Ace's OTH 24 week Pheno
vROEG16.jpg

Ace's/CBG's Panama
gDeTxEN.jpg

Ace's Malawi
A0hljDV.jpg

CBG's Columbian Gold
lqutJ2z.jpg

Ace's Green Haze 28 week Pheno
pkGdmbT.jpg

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
if im reading it wrong im sorry but both you guys are saying you need to flush at the end, wheres the argument here ?

and still it comes down to look at the size of mine lol.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
You need to check my gallery then. I have so many beautiful plants it insane. Even having breeders saying my indoor sativa grows are the best they have seen in along time. How about you? Need me to show you some proof? I was just giving out my experience because I know it's right. I talk to breeders to know what's best for their strain. I've done side by side test with the same clones. Giving "most" strains a one week flush right before harvest is even what breeders recommend if you're using straight coco. You growing in straight coco? I for sure am. I don't get chem lock out because I use top of the line nutrients which break down all the bad salts and toxins. Like I said if your cannabis tastes, looks, smells, high or burns like shit it's probably your nutrients brand you are using. I never check Ph because my shit is Ph perfect.

Re read your post I said was bad advice and see if it makes sense to you without the explanation you provided in this post.
You said no need to ph or flush your coco grows. It's bad advice.

Proof? I don't need proof
Yes I use coco and have for many, many years so I'm not talking out my ass
And I'm happy some breeders have stroked your ego growing their seeds. That's what they do to keep you coming back for more seeds. You don't know me or what I've done over the years. I don't feel the need to boast over past grows.
Ph perfect nutes. Ok that's cool. Perfect if your plant likes a specific ph? What if it's not the ph my particular plant likes and it's causing problems? Not so perfect for my conditions then is it?
Not flushing? If you don't whatever is in the plant at the time of chop is still in them when you smoke it. Nutes in a plant at the time of chop don't just suddenly disappear. Unless you've found the perfect no flush nute line too. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
Still stand by my statement that your first post was/is bad advice.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Not flushing? If you don't whatever is in the plant at the time of chop is still in them when you smoke it. Nutes in a plant at the time of chop don't just suddenly disappear. Unless you've found the perfect no flush nute line too. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.
Still stand by my statement that your first post was/is bad advice.

Do you know of any scientific papers I can read that explain how plants expel nutes back into the atmosphere or into the media they are growing in? Here I thought the only thing they could expel were pure gasses and pure H2O. So you think running water through the media makes the plant expel nutes that the plant has already incorporated into it's mass?

Latest posts

Latest posts