What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100% Sativas (Have you ever tried one?)

The Hatter

Veteran
After talking to a lot of people both in the medical community and outside of it seems to me that most people have never actually tried a pure sativa. When I ask people the question I always get an immediate "yes" as the answer but then they invariably go on to describe a bunch hybrids they have tried.

I guess this is probably because of the simple fact that pure sativa strains are beyond rare even in the dispensaries. So I'm curious how many of you out there have really tried a pure sativa and if so what was it and how was it?

By pure, I mean 100% sativa with no indica genetics in it. Things like blue dream have a signifacant amount of indica in them, even things like super lemon haze, kali mist, silver haze, diesel etc are part indica.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im pretty sure that brown mexican brick weed with all the seeds I used to get back in the day when I was a kid was pure sativa. Man I shoulda kept some seeds. :rasta:

big twinn

Veteran
I've smoked a sativa I grew from a bag of mexican sativa in the past. Also I really enjoyed smoking Ace's Thai x Green Haze oil. It was taken at 120 days and super potent and tastes of Pine tar. The most energetic day time sativa high though from what I have grown was a cross of Indiana Original Bubblegum x Kali Mist. It was 100% Kali in phenotype, and 100% sativa dominant despite not being "pure" on the parentage.

If you have smoked Brick, especially in the past, surely you have had something a little more land race sativa~ish.

StinkyGreen

I grew out Mandala's Orisha, which is a 100% Nigerian landrace sativa. I tried just out of curiosity (the seeds were cheap) and ended up quite enjoying it. I'm going to try growing some Mango Zamal (also 100% sativa) next.

Some pics:

My attempt at a smoke report:

I finally got around to sampling my Orisha. As usual, Mandala's description of the high was pretty accurate. I'll simply try to describe my experience in more detail.

The first thing I noticed was the "refreshing" taste on the palate. Seemed like 'cool mint' to me. The high was subtle and came on gently. It was all in the head, very clear, and highly motivational. I didn't really know what a motivational strain was until I tried this. I was still waiting for the high to kick in when I suddenly realized I was cranking through my chores around the house. This strain totally puts my ass into gear. It wasn't racy or anything, it simply somehow eliminated my ability to procrastinate. I just wanted to get stuff done.

The effect was so subtle, clear, and functional that at first I didn’t realize I was high. There was no sensory enhancement. It was almost like a caffeine-buzz, but without the jitters. The high is also happy and stress-free. It felt like all my stress and worries had been peeled away, leaving only a sunny, motivated disposition behind. It made me smile. Seems like great anti-anxiety medicine.

Despite these positive qualities, at first I wasn't sure I liked it. The high was … for lack of a better word, kind of boring. The initial cerebral effect also wore off fairly quickly too, just like Mandala describes. I also experienced the "appetite enhancing" effect … I was mildly hungry all day and ate a lot more than I usually do. While this is great for someone looking for appetite stimulation (definite medical potential here), it's not great for someone looking to lose a few pounds After the initial effect wore off I was prepared to write the strain off as having a short-lived and uninteresting high, but decided to go back for more.

After using the resulting burst of productivity to finish my chores (which was awesome - I got a ton of stuff done), I started thinking about the high trying to understand why it made me so productive. My conclusion was that it enhanced my ability to make decisions. It didn't make me more insightful or creative, it simply made me much more rational. There was no second-guessing things … I figured out what needed to be done and just did it. No decision could withstand the onslaught of practical reason I could muster in this state … shit got decided and got done.

I then started thinking about different topics to see where my mind would go. It didn't raise my level of awareness or help me think more deeply, but it definitely propelled my thinking to new levels of understanding by virtue of the increased clarity of thought. So the motivational aspects of the high works for cerebral tasks too - seems pretty useful. I could definitely see advantages to leveraging this strain for some kinds of work. It's definitely something I want to explore more.

There was no hangover or burnt out feeling after the effect wore off. I could probably smoke this all day. It does leave you with a mild good physical feeling afterwards as well. Overall, a very interesting strain with some very useful medical properties.

Some more thoughts on Orisha ... I went skiing the other day and brought some Orisha along as Mandala said it was good for active recreation. It was awesome! I take back by earlier comment about the high being kind of boring. Orisha isn't about being "entertained" by the high. It's about being functionally absorbed in and thoroughly enjoying whatever you're doing. I'm liking this strain more and more. My only wish? Make the effect longer-lasting.

Full details of my grow are here, if you're interested.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=209670&page=7

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im pretty sure that brown mexican brick weed with all the seeds I used to get back in the day when I was a kid was pure sativa. Man I shoulda kept some seeds. :rasta:

I used to grow those seeds out. it was pure sativa and excellent soaring trippy highs. the bet pure sativa i ever had though was from Hawaii.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Last year was the first time I grew a pure sativa(with success) some panama red from Ace seeds... I loved it. Nice inbetween high that grows on you, when it was gone I missed it...
picture.php

picture.php

So this year I did some jamaican X columbian, some pure malawi and some Aces golden tiger. Liked the gt best, really wasnt what you'd expect from a sativa though. Also tried some haze a friend grew that had me fealin like I was on acid. I like sativas, somethin about them is exotic or somthin... Now I will grow a sativa garden every year just for personal smoke.

BrownThumb

I am growing some Bhutanese right now so can't comment on the high yet, but I can tell ya the buds come sllloooooowwwwwwwlllllyyy and so far they're so damn scrawny. I keep thinking I should cut my losses and just kill it to use the space for something more productive. I may try again at some point for some novelty smoke, but this experience really makes it clear why people are so big on crossing Sativa's with Indica for shorter flowering periods. I would say unless you have the space, a pure sativa is not the way to go and even then you need the patience of a saint.

JKD

Veteran
I have ACE Malawi and Gypsy Thai Stick Sativa in storage and no-where to grow the damn things since I had to move to take a new job and rent my house out.....

Closest I've had is Mr Nice Nevilles Haze.

S

staffie111

I grew out DP's PowerPlant. Good day time buzz for when at work. Big
yeilds and pretty tastey. Not a bad all around plant.

WelderDan

Veteran
Hells yes. When I was a young'n, I never saw an Indica until the late 70's or early 80's. We had lots of good Colombian, Mex and Thai. And that's what we grew outdoors. Big ass 15 + footers. The local boys hybridized the best Colombians, Mex and Thai's to make what we referred to as "purple sensi". It finished late November was was usually available around Christmas/New Years. Soaring, trippy high. Those were heady times.

Last edited:
T

trichster

yes ive smoked pure sativa. In 1998 I went to Jamaica 2 times. First time i got some good herb and learned how to get "lambsbread". So second time i went i had cab driver take me all over the island until i found the real "lambsbread". The smoke was very spicy is all i remember about taste. The high i do remember, lasted couple hours and had me and buddy HIGH for hours. We watched National Geographic and laughed like we were tripping for hours. The old Rasta gave me a ounce for like $40 to. Ran into Alaskan, Columbian, and whatever the Rastas would throw in your hand but nothing compared to the Lambsbread....

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tropical SATIVA!

Tropical SATIVA!

Great thread! I'm sure there is a lot of people now days that have never had a "pure sativa" (or even weed for that matter) but as previously stated that’s all there was where I lived thirty years ago. I think a lot of the commonly available weed back then was hemp however on occasion there was some truly great sativa available,
even by today’s standards.

attachment.php

High altitude Colombian SATIVA

I remember fiery bright green Mexican, spicy, speedy Jamaican, unbelievable Hawaiian (I had never seen blue weed before) and of course my still all time favorite Colombian. Then as now I enjoy fine Colombian landrace sativa, I prefer the high altitude grown gold’s, purples, and of course the infamous Punto Rojo.

attachment.php

100% Pure Colombian Sativa

Don’t get me wrong, I love ALL good cannabis including pure indicas and hybrids but if I can only have one strain for everyday (and night) usage it would have to be Colombian.

attachment.php

Old School meets New School Colombian Krip (left) Traditional Colombian Sativa (right)

For me fine Colombian sativa (not the local hybrids) has the best all around effect, with its calming, heart racing and euphorically bright high.

attachment.php

Domestic Colombian 2012. Just like lumbo from back in the day.

Peace

guy fawkes

Veteran
columbian gold was my first and so far my fave from what ive tried, i dohowever have some freaky looking goldentiger cuts week 4 bloom and from what ive read this stiff kicks ass

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for sharing that red rider!!!

i grew out some very very very hazy plants of seeds i collected in india.... very spicey haze finish, super stretchy and nodey.... also they were collected at 10k+ elevation and grow indoors... round sealevel HA!!

anyhow, check this thread for some nice hazey sativas... beautiful plants:https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=244221

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Smoked plenty of sativa dom mexican in the 80's and 90's. Ace gear for pure sativa grows of recent.

picture.php

picture.php

Ace Old Timer Haze 20+ week flower

picture.php

picture.php

Purple Haze x Thai from Ace.

Will be popping some Panama soon.

lovelightpower

Veteran
i had a highland oaxacan gold sprouted from seeds collected in '78 at one point.
it was really stimulating psycadelic weed.

The Hatter

Veteran
It's nice to see so many great strains and experiences on here. I keep seeing Ace gear being brought up which is cool. I'm currently growing out some of their strains myself and they look amazing. I can't wait to try the end product once its finished and cured properly. The plants are monsters, standing taller than I do and this is with just 4 weeks veg.

I had to take down a Nepalese Jam early in the first 4 weeks of flower to stay within the rules and I was surprised to find that even those tiny little premature nugs were great, like a warm ray of morning sunshine poured into my brain.

It's great to hear that there is still some love out there for the old school sativas.