What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

clones-no body talks about time scale

kez

i took some clone 14 days ago (blue-cheese)...i have them under a flozzy light.i'm not sprayin the clones and i'm using something called rizh.....something(cant spell it).i've use it before and got some good plants .it took about 5/6 weeks for the clones to root enough to re-pot.question-how can i speed up the rooting so i can re-pot asap.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
5-6 WEEKS? damn.

what are your rootzone temps?

80 degrees is perfect, if it is dropping down to very low 70's or lower, you'll MASSIVELY increase the amount of time needed before your roots pop.

I have roots on OG clones (which are sometimes a bitch to root) around the 10 day mark, if not a hair earlier.

temperature is absolutely vital with cloning.

gertnaerd

hey man ...had the same probs last winter...since the spring is there...100% in 10-14 days with 15 different strains...
made the rockwool very wet..squeezed the water a lil bit out...just water ..nothing else...made the cuts...then you dont have to water again till there are roots ...or the rockwool is drying out....then you know theres something wrong...open the lid once a day and blow through the cuts...hehe..pull the lid back and leave them alone constant 21c-28!c hrhr constant i mean in this area
i swear to you it will work ....if you have a mh-veg area,then just put them in the edge ...and there will be enough light....keep track of the feet temperature,don´t leave the greenhouses on the blank floor...styropor or something like that is a good isolation...
much success to you ...:wave:

trichosaurus

*Stoned User*
Veteran
Are you using rhizotonic or some other root stimulator? I can say from much experience that other than rooting powder/gel you dont need to apply anything else. Also i keep all my cloning gel in the fridge to keep it from going bad.

As ZenMaster has said temps are vital. 76-82F is a good range. Heating mats are a good investment if your temps are outta range or vary wildly. Most failed cloning attempts are probably caused by temps or humidity. Both of which are very easy to control with the addition of a heating mat.

Letting the cuts breathe (hardening off) is another important step that shouldnt be overlooked. Take the dome off the propagation tray at least once per day for about 5 mins for the first 5 days then, depending on the progression of you cuts, take the dome off more often and for longer intervals of time. This will force the plants roots to form quicker and stronger.

Always keep some water in the bottom of the tray but do not let the medium touch the water. If the medium keeps wicking up all the water in the tray, youll have lower chances of success. Just spray your medium whenever it appears to be lacking moisture. High humidity in the dome should assure that you are not doing this very often. In fact i have gotten roots on cuts with only one watering.
At first sight of roots emerging from the medium, go ahead and transplant. I clone in rapid rooters and usually see roots in 8-12 days then they are transplanted to plastic cups. The clones that took 5-6 weeks for you were probably ready to transplant long before that. If a plant has NO roots for 3 weeks then it is a goner ime.

So my best advice is to pick up a heating mat to help ensure that you have an optimal cloning environment.

señorsloth

Veteran
ya i had the same issue, i have 18 clones of 4 strains, some like chem ibl and ak47 that are said to be very easy to clone, and og kush and early pearl in the same bubble cloner. it has been almost 3 weeks, and untill a few days ago they looked happy and healthy, i figured it was taking so long because they were 2 weeks into budding when i took them.

as of right now my early pearl and maybe one of my chemdog's have the tiniest root starting, but my ak47's all look like they are dying, the cut point is turning brown....i'm really in a jam too because the first 3rd of my crop will be harvested in a little more than three weeks from now, and i was hoping to have them all rooted over a week ago! i was counting on picking the clone i took from my highest yeilding ak to make a mother and have new clones ready to go in my cab as soon as i harvest....it's now looking like even if i get a few clones to root, they wont be mother size fast enough, so i'm going to have empty space in the cab for a while till i can reveg the originals that i have budding right now...

on another note...that DIY bubbler thread could be the cause of a significant amount of my problems! when you look at the bubble cloner diy it specifically states that you don't need to block the light, then you click on the link and the guy says roots hate light and you should always block it out, but of course at the end of the tutorial he goes back to saying you don't need to block the light...it really couldn't be more confusing since the same member states two opposite facts in the same post!

well i have never made a bubble cloner before, and i am slightly impressed that it could keep plants alive for almost a month with no roots, however, whether light inhibits root growth or not, it definitely promotes algae growth, which i am assuming is the reason my stems are rotting instead of rooting.

yes i find out now that my water is probably still too cold even though ive been heating the closet that my cloner is in to 77 degrees since they were cloned, though the water feels noticeably colder than the surrounding air. i would have tried a heater but again the diy bubbler link says nothing about a water heater unless you read the replies to the thread for several pages...i would say an editing of that diy is overdue!little things like MAJOR contradictions in the main post and missing info can cost people a lot of money, as is my grow cab will probably be empty for a month while i try and reveg everything, such a waste!

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
if your air is 77 and you are bubble cloning your water will probably be in the very low 70's if not 60's, this will stall rooting tremendously.

go down to wally world and get a small fish tank heater for about $10. problem solved.

señorsloth

Veteran
Yes i realize that now, after reading much more deaply on the subject, which i should obviously have done in the first place and my loss in yeild is my own fault because of that. But honestly if you are going to use sheer simplicity as your main selling point for a diy, you should make everything clear and easy, it should just say, black out the container, heat the water to 78, and periodicly change the water...it would help with the sucess of many who are trying bubble cloning for the first time...

D

driftersmokinjo

8 days from cut using rhizotonic liquid. 5ml's per gallon to soak the rr cube under a dome with ambient light and 78f to 80f. Thats it :good:

mtbazz

5-6 weeks for roots?

I use a bucket type cloner (poor mans ez cloner). I use a rooting gel, add two capfuls of K-L-N per gallon of water used in the bucket, keep my temps around 75 dg F, and keep the pH of the water at ~ 5.3.

I typically have a decent root mass within two weeks and out of 12 cuttings per cycle have 90% or greater success rate with even the smallest of cuts.

Prior to using this method I failed at literally everything I tried (rockwool cubes, rooting them in water, etc).

I think having the correct pH is critical. At first I was running my cloner at 6.5-7.0 and I was only getting so-so results, than the guys at the hydro shop I frequent suggested I try a lower pH. I went home, adjusted the pH in my bucket to 5.3 and within a few days I had calcification and the start of roots, with a week to two weeks I had a giant root mass.

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
i took some clone 14 days ago (blue-cheese)...i have them under a flozzy light.i'm not sprayin the clones and i'm using something called rizh.....something(cant spell it).i've use it before and got some good plants .it took about 5/6 weeks for the clones to root enough to re-pot.question-how can i speed up the rooting so i can re-pot asap.

I clone BC in 10 days max in the DYI bubble cloner and the same in the Ice-tube-tray wick cloner.

Low light. In fact, NO light the first 2 days and then low, ambient light after that until they have roots.

I use bottled water because my tap water is shit for cloning and rots the stems off.
75-80F works best for me, and I use a heating pad beneath the tub. Fold up a heavy towel with the pad inside, then you can move the towel between the folds or the controls to adjust temps.

I also use Root-tone in the wick-cloner, and nothing in the bubblers except maybe H2O2 to prevent slimy algae from growing.

If you let algae develop then you can pretty much count on cleaning up and starting over because the algae will take over before roots develop. Black out the cloner for sure. I don't know if the light will prevent or effect root growth on cuttings but it will definitely promote algae growth and THAT WILL prevent root growth.

ya i had the same issue, i have 18 clones of 4 strains, some like chem ibl and ak47 that are said to be very easy to clone, and og kush and early pearl in the same bubble cloner. it has been almost 3 weeks, and untill a few days ago they looked happy and healthy, i figured it was taking so long because they were 2 weeks into budding when i took them.

as of right now my early pearl and maybe one of my chemdog's have the tiniest root starting, but my ak47's all look like they are dying, the cut point is turning brown....i'm really in a jam too because the first 3rd of my crop will be harvested in a little more than three weeks from now, and i was hoping to have them all rooted over a week ago! i was counting on picking the clone i took from my highest yeilding ak to make a mother and have new clones ready to go in my cab as soon as i harvest....it's now looking like even if i get a few clones to root, they wont be mother size fast enough, so i'm going to have empty space in the cab for a while till i can reveg the originals that i have budding right now...

on another note...that DIY bubbler thread could be the cause of a significant amount of my problems! when you look at the bubble cloner diy it specifically states that you don't need to block the light, then you click on the link and the guy says roots hate light and you should always block it out, but of course at the end of the tutorial he goes back to saying you don't need to block the light...it really couldn't be more confusing since the same member states two opposite facts in the same post!

well i have never made a bubble cloner before, and i am slightly impressed that it could keep plants alive for almost a month with no roots, however, whether light inhibits root growth or not, it definitely promotes algae growth, which i am assuming is the reason my stems are rotting instead of rooting.

yes i find out now that my water is probably still too cold even though ive been heating the closet that my cloner is in to 77 degrees since they were cloned, though the water feels noticeably colder than the surrounding air. i would have tried a heater but again the diy bubbler link says nothing about a water heater unless you read the replies to the thread for several pages...i would say an editing of that diy is overdue!little things like MAJOR contradictions in the main post and missing info can cost people a lot of money, as is my grow cab will probably be empty for a month while i try and reveg everything, such a waste!

Try this for cloning BC, it's never let me down.
Never longer than 15 days.

picture.php

This is Cheese at 5 days in Peat moss.
picture.php

Herborizer

Veteran
See signature. If threre is a mistake to be made with cloning, I have made it.

Finally, these parameters outlined in thread in my sig, i am consistantly getting clones rooted in 5-10 days.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
stress .... your using peat moss in the ice cube cloner ???? hmmmmm may have to try that ( been using fine vermiculite with excellant results ) but i switched my meduim to promix & the peatmoss in the cloner would make it so i don't have to buy the verm . would straight promix work ? it has the perilite . but i can get peat at the local HD easy enough .
thats why i love this place .... you guys always have me thinking & changing for the better !!

growem green & stay safe ....Dan

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
stress .... your using peat moss in the ice cube cloner ???? hmmmmm may have to try that ( been using fine vermiculite with excellant results ) but i switched my meduim to promix & the peatmoss in the cloner would make it so i don't have to buy the verm . would straight promix work ? it has the perilite . but i can get peat at the local HD easy enough .
thats why i love this place .... you guys always have me thinking & changing for the better !!

Yeah man I stopped at WW and they didn't carry vermiculite so I got some peat-moss. I figured that in theory you could use cotton balls or yarn right. Why not peat-moss?

I tried it the first time with disastrous results. I used tap water and the water here had a reaction w/ the peat and damn it stunk! It smelled so strong of rotten eggs that I had to toss em even after re-potting.
But in 2 trays full all 54 had roots in 5 days. The smell was just so over powering that it triggered the hurl impulse, so they had to go. You really can't imagine to smell!

Then I done a couple of runs with distilled water and they kicked ass.
The last run I had picked up a bag of vermiculite and started it on 4/20. I had high hopes for that batch to cause I finished cutting and had em set to go at exactly 4:20 pm on 4-20. LOL But not one of them rooted.

I know that the peat-moss works 100% with distilled or bottled spring water and I have kept em going in peat if they are clones I am depending on. I only run the tests w/ cuts I really don't need and give em away if they do root.

All the clones I sell to dispensaries are done in peat-moss/bottled water or are rooted in a bubble cloner/bottled water.

Oh and 50/50 peat/vermiculite wicks too well. Cuttings almost always rot off before they develop roots. Both with tap or bottled water.

deepcover

Environment environment environment

not too wet not too dry (if in plugs)

ROOTS EXCEL

there u have it the recipe for success

some fulvic and b-vitamins wont hurt also beneficial microbes. save the kelp for after roots show.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kez ... didn't mean to highjack your thread there dude :) .... but these guys are right . keep your temps in check , low lighting & pretty much any cloning method will work for you . now faster rooted clones .... your gonna have to figure out which method gives you the best results for your environment . I had a stubborn bitch of a strain recently & I literally tried 11 or 12 different cloning methods . thats the way i found the walmart ice cube cloner here in the diy listings (stress linked it in his post ) . this cloner has given me 95 % every time . i wait 2 weeks exactly , keep it full with PH 7.0 RO water (bad tap water here )nothing else & at 2 weeks i always have roots out of the holes in the bottoms of the blue caps .
good luck dude ... i'm sure you'll find your groove & never look back .
80 degree temps really seem to be the main factor in cloning ..... just keep that in mind & you'll be good to go .

Latest posts

Latest posts